Anyone given up smoking? And is Vaping?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Scorch666, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quty

Quty Guest

GPU:
    GPU Radeon R7 250
    I try to quit cold turkey and don't smoke two months. But it's very difficult for me.:bang: Probably I should try the vaping:3eyes:

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Keep refusing to smoke anything. Cold turkey is the only real way, you're doing great, you're almost past the really hard part.

3. viper_911

viper_911 Member

GPU:
    msi 980 gtx ti 6g
    vaping is helping me quit , ive been diagnosed with copd, whitch is basically my lungs are starting to stiffen. ive been smoking since i was 13 now 51.
    my advise would be dont start smoking at all

4. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Yup 2 years now....

Quit smoking 2 years ago in March, and have replaced with vaping. But haven't touched another since I did that. I smoked 2 packs a day easy. For what it's worth, everyone is different.

5. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I quit cold turkey only a week ago in prep for a PT exam I have coming up.

29 and have been smoking since I was 15. So far so good had the odd craving here and there especially after meals.

My main challenge is being surrounded by various people who smoke (a lot and I mean A LOT of guys smoke in the military here).

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yep, exactly how I did it.
    I initially started vaping because of the cost (was smoking little over 1 pack a day - 2 packs if I was going out), so it had a severe impact on my wallet - especially since I was a student. The first ecig + first liquid paid for themselves in less than a week.
    Vaped for about 3 years.

At some point I decided to minimize the nicotine dose so I went from 18mg/ml to 12, was a bit ****ty but I did it. Then after like 2 months I cut down to 6 and after that bottle was gone I went with 0 nicotine. It was ****ing brutal, I was severely angry for a few days and didn't realize why at first. Then it clicked, I'm smoking but it's not satisfactory. I got used to it in a few weeks and all was okay again.

Unfortunately my grandfather had lung cancer (I think he was the reason I quietly toned down the nicotine levels) and going home and seeing him was the last straw (I live far away from my home town). He hasn't been smoking for almost 20 years I believe, but somehow the cancer got to him.

When I last saw him it stuck to me when he said 'don't be stupid like I was, it's not worth it'. I haven't vaped since then.

I gave the e-cig to my brother who's an adolescent and had just started smoking, I told him 'take this and ****ing quit'.
    I don't think he's smoked much since then.

The point is that getting over the nicotine is EASY. Dude, it takes a few days of anger. But what remains imprinted in your brain is the act. The pleasure that you're doing it. The enjoyment of the gesture.
    It's been 2 months now and I still have urges to put something in my mouth (haha?) but it's less and less frequent.

Tip: What helped me get over the gesture of smoking is blowing through a straw. It sounds stupid as sh!it but try it haha.

It depends on each person my man. I quit back when I started college cold turkey for 6 months, but started smoking again because of the people I was going out with.
    I did it with relative ease.

Then I quit again just 2 months ago and have no intention of smoking again. I know it's gone for good. And I did it with relative ease again.

Some people are more prone to addiciton than others. My father has been smoking casually for I don't know how long. He just can't get hooked. He smokes a few packs then doesn't need them anymore and goes sometimes years without a single cigarette.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  8. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  9. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    I gave up smoking cold turkey 4 months ago. i was a pack-a-day smoker too.. got myself a 50$ Penvape and about 40$ of a juice called Rain Berry and i used it for about 2 of those of those 4 months.. i dont smoke or vape at all now (i had the mindset of only vaping temporarily to help kick my smoke cravings and sure enough i have no cravings for either!)

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    One study will not discover everything, especially when focused on few particulars.
    Studies on smoking are decades old, vaping is still in its infancy, there are sure to be plenty of nasties to uncover.
    Bear in mind that some reports are funded backhand by those who will profit, you cant trust everything positive you read.
    Caution is advised, hell its your body not mine.

If you want to feel good about it, best not read any more.
    Its not going to get better.

11. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Notice that article provides no actual data? Doesn't state who funded the study..... Also doesn't acknowledge the known health risks from inhaling thousands of deadly toxins.

Smoking has been proven to cause strokes, heart failure, multiple forms of cancer, tooth decay, asthma, COPD....SIDS....epilepsy.... No offense, but that article screams of big tobacco....

Don't trust everything negative you read either. If the article can't detail the study guidelines, it's irrelevant. There are a LOT of factors that determine how dangerous/damaging vaping can be.

The chemical makeup of the liquid used. The device used. The wicking material used, if any. The heating element material. The batteries used..... The user himself/herself....

The very first study published in the NJM, stated that vaping produced more harmful toxins than smoking tobacco. When the NJM published the article, they conveniently left out the fact that the device used contained a silica wick and was operated at 5V....well outside the safety parameters for silica. At 5V, the emissions from the silica wick become extremely toxic, which is why every device using silica was regulated to 3.2 - 4.2V. Most devices now use unbleached, organic cotton, which does not have the side affect of toxic emissions under normal circumstances.

Btw....the article claims that vaping reduces glucose production and reduces brain function....yet, vegetable glycerin is used as a sweetener in foods and causes the body to produce glucose. Vegetable glycerin is also used in smoke machines.... Also, I have personally found I have a much easier time learning since I stopped smoking and started vaping.....since smoking has been proven to reduce brain function by reducing the production of chemicals necessary to brain function. Smoking also limits the production of chemicals necessary for growth, both physical and mental.

Yes, you're right to be weary of people claiming that vaping is "safe"....but articles providing study results that don't provide the basic information such as testing guidelines and methodology, as well as who funded the study, should be ignored completely. The relevance of any study concerning vaping is directly related to whether or not "big tobacco" funded the study. The "big tobacco" companies have no financial interest in fact based studies and as such, won't fund any fact based studies. "Big Tobacco" has spent billions of dollars trying to limit regulation of their business, and to prevent access to any product that make help people quit smoking. The only things SAFE to be inhaled into human lungs, are oxygen and nitrogen....in the proper proportions. Even nasal sprays have harmful side-effects when inhaled into the lungs.

Would you guys trust a graphics card review if it just stated "Graphics card A is faster than Graphics card B in Doom"....without knowing what the testing methodology and guidelines were? Or would you just run out and buy "Graphics card A" blindly? The same line of thinking applies here. Testing methodology and guidelines have a huge impact on the validity of any study, whether it's GPUs, CPUs or vaping.

At any rate, vape at your own risk.....but always follow manufacturers' safety guidelines for the products being used.

13. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Just started vaping.

Juice with nicotine is illegal here but we can import it so at the moment I just use vaporfi.

Have an eGo type pen and it's fine for what I need. Just need more batteries.

I was thinking of upgrading to the vaporfi Rebel. Thoughts?
    (Sorry I don't have enough posts for a link.)
    Mainly for battery life, bigger tank and overall better build. Don't think I need to get into this sub-ohm thing.

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    From personal experience and as I said in one of my earlier posts in the thread, the Innokin Endura T22 is a good kit, if you buy it now you might be able to still get the one with the larger 5ml tank so you dont have to top it up all the time. A better and newer alternative would be the brand new Aspire Zelos with the Nautilus 2 tank that comes with it http://www.aspirecig.com/aspire-kit/aspire-kit398.html

Just keep in mind that if you live in the EU, the nautilus 2 tank is TPD compliant which means it only has 2ml capacity so you might be topping it up often, depending on your vaping style.

I just bought the Nautilus 1 tank myself as I wanted something a bit more subtle to go on the side of my sub-ohm tanks and I cannot fault the thing. Great flavour and not a leak in sight. Got some nice 12mg tobacco liquid in it too which goes nicely with a cup of tea.

15. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I should have added that I'm not really into those boxes, trying to give up the darts I want something round in my hand. B00Bs are a great alternative but not as accessible. -sadly.

I'm in Australia so we don't have the tank problem but we do have the nicotine issue. I know vaporfi can get through customs. I'm also aware of the price premium but I'm ok with that. At least the hardware is tweaked up from base models.

16. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
  17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    My favourite juice for flavour is Fantasi Mango, it's 70/30 though, made in Malaysia. The flavour and smell is spot on. The only thing bad about it is it goes through coils REALLY fast, like 2 days a coil with my Vortex. Very tasty, especially after steeping it.

(can't use this one long-term or I'll never come off the vape).

18. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Question.

Has anyone from the UK ordered a Zamplebox? Am thinking about it myself.

19. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Are you using a Sub ohm tank with that?

20. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I've thought about it but since I'm not using a dripper I'd be going through coils like mad since I'd have to change to a new one each time I wanted to experience a new flavour to the fullest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.