i7 4790k 24/7 my settings help

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by ppdemo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    hi guys im new here and i need your opinions about this OC settings for my i7 4790k for 24/7 in relation to cache voltage(vring), I'm worried that this is too high, cause from what I read, cache voltage should not be beyond 1.15v for 24/7 use.

Stable 4.6 ghz settings:

Multiplier ratio= 46
    Min/max cache ratio=45
    Vcore= 1.225
    Cpu cache= 1.290 (this is my biggest concern) to high?
    Vccsa= 0.824
    Vccio Analog and Digital= Auto (Hwinfo64 show me 1.016v)
    Vccin=1.808v

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Not that it shouldn't, ~1.15v is ideal for ~ 4 -4.2Ghz cache.

You shouldn't go over 1.30v+, same with cpuv to keep temps in check and so it will last longer.

I would just keep cache @ 4.2ghz and focus more on cpu OC and its voltage, how much do you need to 4.7ghz?

3. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    1)but by default in auto motheboard put cache at 1.185v 40x cache ratio
    2)i could handle 4.7ghz at 1.270vcore

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes auto cache voltage uses a little higher, I set mine @ 4.2ghz with 0.010+ and 1.145v = Total 1.155v and it still goes higher (up to ~ 1.19v) by maximum load, but at least not that high as by auto.

I think its just a precaution not to go too low and adds extra juice when needed, btw anything bellow 1.30v is harmless for cache it doesnt make too much extra heat, only cpuv does.
    Ok cache can a little 3-5C, but its minimal compared to idk 20C jump by cpuv.

4.7Ghz @ 1.27v is good, settle with that if its 100% stable and use adaptive voltage and cache 4.2Ghz ~1.15v adaptive or 4.4Ghz ~1.22v and you're set.

Btw cache 4.2 to 4.4 or even 4.5ghz didnt bring much difference here (maybe 3-5cb extra by cinebemch15 multi, and 1-2cb by single), so I stayed at 4.2ghz.
    Also for stability reasons, 2400mhz ram + 4.7ghz + high cache can get unstable quick, unless with v.high voltage not worth using it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

5. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Use Offset or Adaptive voltage if you have a ASUS Board, isn't necessary keep the vcore fixed.

6. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    explain to me why, because i dont know nothing about adaptative voltage, cause i did not give importance

7. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    I do not know what you mean

8. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Your cache voltage is way too high man. My cache is @4.6ghz with 1.235v (even that is a bit high for cache) and my core is @4.8ghz with 1.276v, pretty decent chip. It can actually hit 5ghz with 1.35v but I find the extra heat vs performance gain to not be worth it for what I use it for.

For this chip you can leave the cache @4ghz and it won't make any real difference in most situations and might give you more headroom on your core to hit higher clocks. Basically leave it at stock while you tweak and test your core then after you get your core stable try raising the cache slowly and testing it hgiher and higher until it goes unstable if you want to raise the cache at all.

As for core voltage try to keep it around 1.28-1.3v max for 24/7 use and just see what clock you can get it too around that voltage... you're hopefully on water right? Most people easily hit at least 4.7ghz @ that voltage but make sure you run a test program for at least a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  9. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    It all depends on the cpu, in order to get my cache to 4.5 i had to use ~1.28v. 1.24v for 4.4 and 1.23 for 4.3..

Think the chip might be acting up as of late. taking more and more voltage to stay stable. was able to run 1.285v for 4.8ghz but now i have to run 1.34v to keep it stable. Not sure why. Shouldnt need that much more voltage, only have had it 2 years and i keep the pc off when not in use.

Also you might want to check your Vccin 1.87 is what i need to keep stable.

10. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Is more "healthier" for the CPU :). With Fixed vcore you are pushing 1.3v+/- all the time even in IDLE when isn't needed.
    With Adaptive or Offset the MB set the "right" vcore to each frequency. you can even keep the stock vcore for non-turbo clocks and only apply more vcore when the CPU is at turbo clocks

Keep the Cache at 40X, higher frequencies don't give you any benefits and you need higher vcore to keep it stable = more heat faster degradation

11. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Well, adaptive voltage is fine just remember its never going to be as stable at extremely high clocks as manual with a mild amount of load line calibration will be. If your cooling is good manual/adaptive/scaling voltage won't make much difference really. Case in point, with a good cooler all adaptive voltage did for me was net me occassionally more microstutter in games and less stability at 5ghz experimental clocking while running tests. My system idles around 20-23 C* in the winter with manual voltage and I've never seen it higher than 75 C* even in testing software even in the summer; all depends on your cooling.

Delidding is also an option if you're having trouble hitting higher clocks at high voltage or just want to drastically decrease temps on a good cheap even. I delidded my old 3570k and it dropped temps by about 20 degrees C*, haven't seen the need yet with this current chip but I will probably do it one day. The internal TIM is notoriously crap on even the best chips.

12. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    yes i lowered this to 1.155v and 40x cache ratio

13. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    cooler is corsair h80i v2 and temps are in idle 35*38 in low load 40*45
    and full load 60*65 max

14. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Does cache(uncore) higher than 4GHz for 4790K give better performance? I doubt it.
    I have my 4790K @4.6GHz turbo @1.203v, it's the luckiest CPU I ever had. I can do 4.8@1.265 but I see it does not worth the extra heat and power.

15. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

No uncore/cache doesn't really make much of a difference in any real world use. I simply up mine because my chip permits me to without sacraficing much if any core clock. If its preventing you from clocking higher as I stated earlier just leave it at stock and always only tamper with it after you have your core rock solid at what you want it to be at.

As for your chip, 4.6ghz @1.203v is great. If you can hit 4.8 with only 1.265 you owe it to yourself to get a good cooler on that if you don't have one already. :3eyes:

16. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    fps become stable without drops, i think it was due to the cache...

17. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    guys, i need know too, what is max safe recomendation vccio voltage for i7 4790k 24/7 use?

18. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    So iv been doing some testing.

CPU is running at 4700mhz at 1.245v
    Cache is at 4000mhz at 1.150 and 4300mhz at 1.2v
    vccin is at 1.85v running perfect. Can run intel extreme tuning test for 8 hours and the cpu doesnt get over 58c on water. In Fact it seems to be running better now that i brought the cpu vcore down from 1.27v glad i decided to do some testing for afew days. Still to bad i cannot replicate running at 4.8 at 1.28v like it use to do when it was new. Needs 1.34 now.

19. ppdemo

ppdemo Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    I too did some test in this days and like you i found 47ghz at 1.245 but 40x cache at 1.110
    vccin 1.808, but i test with IBT very high settings and 15 passes, 85° average temp with water cooling, But as it is known intel burn test tends to raise the temperatures in excess, games temps average is 60° in my case
    i ask how good is the IXT?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  20. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    IXT is more "real world" testing I find all other tests raise my temps into the high 80's and thats on a 420, and a 240 rad. delided and cool temps in the house. So with IXT i see 58c and all the cores are 98-100% load. With OCCT prime 95 realbench and alike, those put imho to much stress on your cpu and you will never ever be able to match those. So yes if you can get one of those 100% stable your good, but it takes way way way more Vcore voltage to get those stable. But IXT seems to be good and I have yet to have a blue screen, and thats 5-8 hours of BF1 gameplay. I also never see a hickup during gameplay either.

Here's a pick of my setup.

[​IMG]