Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Arrives late March

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    10.8 TFLOPS seems a bit generous for the next Ti since the difference between the Maxwell cards was only 0.51 TFLOPS. So 10.49 TFLOPS seems more accurate. Hopefully AMD would release a cheaper 12 TFLOPS+ Single GPU though.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I am really looking into these cards for upgrade, especially if evga's is coming up with a hybrid FTW version, I'll take 2 please.

But yes, my eyes is on the Vega, Would love to see how they perform side by side, then make decision...

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It would be interesting to see if NVIDIA will actually manage to have a 10nm GPU out in a year from now. I personally don't really see it. Volta seems to be "cursed" almost. It was supposed to be out almost at the Maxwell timeframe.

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Not all of us are sheep.

I really hope AMD makes a huge comeback. NVIDIA's pricing atm is on a whole new level of over the top.

Spent € 800 on this 1080 and honestly... I hope to God by the time I need an upgrade again, prices will have stabilized, because it's pretty much the limit of what I'd spend on 1 card (actually I think it's to much already but I had a EXACTLY € 800 to spare at that moment).

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wonder what the price and performance difference is gonna be between it and the titan... bet it will be nipping on the titans ass for much less.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Volta was supposed to come out last year. Nvidia split Pascal/Volta into two because they couldn't bring HBM/Die Shrink + all the Volta features into the same release so they did half and half.

Also current rumors say AMD/Nvidia are both skipping 10nm. Volta is rumored to be manufactured on TSMC's improved 16nm process they are marketing as "12nm"

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/tsmc-introduces-12nm-half-node-2016-11/

https://regmedia.co.uk/2013/03/19/nvidia_gpu_roadmap_maxwell_volta.jpg

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And some of the pixie dust which magically allows your alternate reality of AMD always being the best to take place. :toke:

Anyhow, Nvidia is a textbook example of great management in difficult times currently; got to give them props.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Prices have barely moved in 14 years:

GeForce 4600 Ti launch price (2002): $399
    1080 launch price (2016): $599

Now $399 in 2002 taking into account inflation alone is around $540 dollars today. That is not even taking into account the additional complexity of the cards today themselves or the fact that it is costing more each generation to design the GPU. So $50 change over 15 years, or $3.33 a year; yup, the GPU industry is milking it...

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Wonder what you are up to here. (Other than that "smile".)
    Well, I took quite a long break from forums and nothing changed in that time. You still behave like if I broke your toys one too many times. (Not, that I did not do it few times.)

But as of that post of mine you dislike that much, it is completely based on AMD's materials. But you would know that if you actually cared to learn about stuff you try to ridicule.

So, feel free to be as entertaining as always.
    In the end, there are two types of people on internet. Ones who are same as in real life and others who escape from reality.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not sure how you came up with Volta being released in 2015 on any Nvidia road map. Did you mean Pascal? Pascal was announced in March of 2015.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

11. Hayachan

Hayachan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx970 G1
    Oh i love Ngreedia! This is definitely me next card! I hope my kidney will sell for 1000 bucks.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Pascal wasn't even supposed to be there in the first place.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    lol nice launch price: $599

Yeah € 600 would've been fine I agree, but € 800 is still milking it.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well then it's quite simple: MSRP is a blatant lie.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It was 2014 roadmap.
    [​IMG]

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Haha, that's an entirely separate discussion :)

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for that, I didn't have time to look it up.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Regardless, Volta in 2015 was my point, not whether Pascal was named or not.
    What I was addressing was: "It was supposed to be out almost at the Maxwell timeframe."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    According to NVIDIA's own roadmap, Volta was supposed to be here even earlier than Pascal. Pascal is basically the tock for Maxwell's tick at this point. HBM2 might make Volta possible before 10nm, but I find it a bit impossible. I have a feeling that NVIDIA will present something with less hardware than the Titan XP, at something like $750-850, and we are supposed to treat it as some kind of bargain.