For Honor

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by KissSh0t, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I also have the Uplay version. I am currently installing the new v378.66 WHQL driver to see if performance improves.

I suspect the issue I have might be related to the fact that the game seems to stress one of my CPU cores 100% while the other remain at 30-40%-ish. I saw some YouTube videos of people reporting the same kind of stuttering issue with suggestions to set the priority of ForHonor.exe to Below Normal and then uncheck one of the CPU cores.

2. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    I was enjoying the story until it switched me from the Warden to Cross. I'm finding him impossible to use. Feels like his armour is made of paper and his attacks are so weak compared to the warden ><

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Seems like I have the CPU/priority bug that was reported in the beta but still not fixed. Basically, this game runs like absolute crap (jerky camera panning, juddery movement, sub-60 fps performance, etc) unless I press Alt-Enter to switch to window mode (since Alt-Tab doesn't work), change the priority of ForHonor.exe from Normal to BelowNormal and, finally, change the Affinity of the executable by unchecking Core 7. Once I do then the game runs smoothly for about 99.9% of the time. It's game changing for me and transforms a sub-par experience into a really enjoyable one.

Since many people reported this issue in the beta then I surely cannot be the only affected by this issue or do others simply not notice it?

Settings used are maxed out 2560x1440 with TAA, HBAO+, v-sync on and triple buffering enabled.

*EDIT*
    Taken from DSOG's performance analysis on For Honor here: http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/for-honor-pc-performance-analysis/2/

Quote: "It’s worth noting that we*experienced a really bizarre issue that Ubisoft needs to address. It appears that For Honor suffers from the same single-thread CPU issue that affected Homefront: The Revolution as the game is hammering the first CPU core. We were able to replicate this issue multiple times, so we are pretty sure that this is an actual bug and not an issue with our PC system. As soon as we disabled and re-enabled all of our CPU cores, we experienced a better CPU scaling (that also came with a 10fps performance boost). And while this bug does not have a big impact on overall performance, it’s still something that needs to be fixed."

Exact same issue I have noticed on my PC.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i think there's a day 1 patch that fixes performance ...etc

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I would assume I would have that since Uplay is set to automatically update my games and is set to run with Windows so is always running in the background (like Steam).

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    This game beta crashed my PC, i haven't seen this in a while lol...

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

i did that and i gained 15fps , wow

but i still notice some stuff move like it's 30fps ( armor movement /weapons swinging /hair braids )

same problem with Assassins Creed Syndicate

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Having to play with the process priority isn't a normal thing... and 'normal' is really safe. There's something going on..!

I wasn't impressed at all by the game, had way more fun with Ghost Recon Wildland beta lately.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is MSI Afterburner's (v4.3.0) on-screen display working for everyone else in this game? It was for me but since installing the latest v6.6.0 build of RTSS I no longer see it and I can't get it to display any more.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I've had this kind of thing happen in several games since moving from an i5 to my i7. Games that would play with a lower overall framerate would be much smoother and have even CPU usage on the i5, whereas with an i7 and HT the first thread gets hammered and even with higher average FPS in game it stutters and hitches more. Forza Horizon 3, Wasteland 2, DOSEE and a couple that I can't recall right now have benefited from messing around with process priority and core affinity. It doesn't have to do with a larger min/max framerate gap since I always play with Vsync and RTSS cap at 60.

Not sure if games get confused with HT i7 vs physical cores only i5 or what is going on, but something is up with some games in this regard. I like the look of this game and it seems to be pretty well optimized other than this issue. Can someone who owns it tell me something? Does the SP campaign stuff play the same every time and you just choose a different character, or does each side (Viking, Samurai, Knight) have a unique campaign?

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @BuileR2 - Im not sure if it was changing the affinity of ForHonor.exe (i.e. that Windows remembers the setting for subsequent runs of that executable) or it was some tweaking of my PerfectDisk Pro settings but the game now seems to be running fine, although (as mentioned earlier) I am unable to verify the framerate as Afterburner's OSD is no longer showing for some reason. However, the game feels significantly smoother and it does seem like it is running at 60 fps all the time now, at least on Mission 1-4 of the Viking Story campaign anyway. Hopefully it will remain that way. /crosses fingers

12. A49ER08

A49ER08 Member Guru

GPU:
    evgaRtx3080XC3Ultra
    any good deals for this?
    lets say below $40?

13. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Very good place to check for best prices: https://isthereanydeal.com

14. balthier

balthier Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX
    2500K same first core hammered 100%.I noticed this in all alpha,betas.But the last day of open beta suddenly performance halfed.

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Game looks like it would get repetitive and boring after a few hours. A great candidate for a steam sale for $9.99...

16. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    My thoughts exactly.

17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I watched some gameplay vids and it looks cool for about 5 mins. Then its the same crap over and over. Its just another Dark Souls game with less depth.

I'll take Borderlands 3 plz.. :)

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1584996-PC-(UPlay-and-Steam)-Hotfix-Patch-Notes

19. balthier

balthier Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX
    The 100% first core load is bound to vsync.Turning off vsync helps,enabling fast sync works too.Hyped for guardbreak old behavior patch :banana:

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    So how hard is this game really? i keep hearing it is very hard and complex later on.

I do like it's VERY skill based, but if it gets more complex at later levels i don't know if this game is for me.