MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 Final is Released

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 27, 2016.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes I saw, but The Divison or GRAW WildLands don't use it. :)

EDIT: by The Division it was like so, I updated to 6.6 beta5? and it worked, then after restart it didnt anymore, then while ingame I changed from raster back to vector and from framebuffer to viewpoint and it worked again, on 3rd reboot it didnt work anymore.
    edit2: If it matters I had that steam overlay workaround enabled, I have steam version with both steam and uplay overlay.

By GRAW Wildlands just uplay, after I overwrite back to 6.5 it started working again.

But I saw you added that 15sec overlay delay, that looked great :nerd:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Cannot confirm that with The Division, works fine here and that's expected considering that there are no changes in DX1x hooking implementation between 6.5.x and 6.6.0 to behave that differently.
    I'd prefer to focus on testing true changes between the versions (Vulkan related) rather than searching for black cat in a dark room ;)

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It's still common. He'd have to add an addition function to determine the current install location. It's only an issue for those doing a custom install right?

4. Unwinder

Considering that with 6.6.0 launch all modern 3D APIs will be supported, I can focus on developing less priority OSD-related things now:

[​IMG]

But that's not something you can expect in upcoming 6.6.0, it is work in progress and I'll launch it it in future 6.7.0 version.

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Veeeeeeeery interesting. You've found a way to make OSD work with UWP?

6. Valkyrie743

Valkyrie743 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080 FTW
    awesome!!!

7. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    What am I looking for in the screenshop?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a UWP / Win10 "app" in this case I think it's one of the Forza games, in any case Afterburner couldn't monitor this type of software before so it's nice to see it supported even if it's probably going to be a while before 6.7.0 sees a release. :)
    (Those two Forza games, ReCore, Gears of War 4, Dead Rising 4, Quantum Break, Halo Wars 2 and various indie or other smaller games and probably some I forgot.)

EDIT: Well couldn't and couldn't, screenshots and I guess recording worked far as I tested but the OSD didn't show up. :)

EDIT: Heh I made this way more complicated than it had to be now that I'm re-reading this.

Basically OSD support for Windows 10 UWP "WinStore" apps in addition to the existing Win32(and x64) support. :)
    (Forgot exactly what Microsoft called these, they have some name for this type of software or at least a development name or code name.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Ahh I get it. Thanks.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    RTSS in UWA

It's interesting because I have been using OSD during benching and gaming for many years now (since it was invented) and can't feel right about doing it any more without it. It sucks that it did not work in UWA games.

However, it's also kind of sad if that gets fixed because UWA filth needs to die and OSD not working was just one of the excellent reasons it needs to go bye-bye. Losing a reason for it to fail/die is not a positive thing. It was a positive thing that OSD being broken diminished my experience with UWA games... helps keep the fires of hate burning, LOL.

11. Unwinder

RTSS v6.6.0 with Vulkan support is online and it should be visible to update servers now. We've submitted it to EAC developers to ensure that it will be whitelisted in the nearest updates of all EAC-protected games.
    Also, as I stated a few posts above, during the last couple weeks I was working on a separate 6.7.0 branch with UWP support. It is in rather solid state now so the first 6.7.0 betas can be expected really soon, right on the next week.

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Can you be in contact with BattlEye developers too for future updates?

Thanks for updated.

13. Unwinder

After Watchdogs 2 story it was EAC developers' initiative to get in contact with Guru3D and request notifications on new RTSS version releases to make it whitelisted and get EAC updated as soon as it is possible. And such step is greatly welcomed.
    BattleEye devs are free to do the same thing.

14. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    I sent a request.

15. BEdev

BEdev Guest

GPU:
    -
    Check your PMs. :)

16. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Thank you Bastian :supercool

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  17. Unwinder

Replied. Appreciated this, thanks a lot!

18. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    EDIT: Nevermind.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    installed RTSS 6.6.0 over the 6.5.0 and it seems that it doesn't work as i wanted ( no OSD toggle )

i'll remove MSI AB + RTSS and install them again fresh

edit:

turns out removing both >restart>install RTSS 6.6.0 1st then AB fix the problem

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For me when it comes to updating Riva Tuner Statistics Server I've noticed that occasionally RTSSHooks64.dll will still be in use by some system process, usually application frame host.exe or the windows shell experience host .exe

Still haven't found a good way to replicate how or when this occurs, I'm thinking it's more of a local issue with my current Win10 system as if it was a issue with Win10 in general everyone would have encountered it, in any case it's probably not very common.
    (But it also makes it difficult to figure out the exact cause behind why this happens or at least for me as somewhat of a amateur on how this all works or how to say.)

To resolve this I used to log out and then log in again but there's a quicker way, make sure Afterburner / RTSS is shut down and then bring up the task manager and shut down shell experience host, it'll pop up of it's own again in a few seconds (Refreshes the Win10 start menu too.) and then do the same for application frame host, whenever you next start a app be it some Win10 game or just the store or settings software said process will start as well.

Just to be sure I also restart explorer.exe, doesn't hurt to make sure the entire shell is unloaded far as I see it even if it might not be needed.

After that I delete RTSS64.dll to make sure it's currently not in use by anything (If it is a error prompt will appear showing which software it's currently used by which is how I narrowed it down to those two in the first place.) and then I install the new version of Afterburner or well in this case just the separate Rivatuner software.

If you want you can also rename the profiles folder or just the files "global" and "config" if you want a clean config though I usually don't do it unless there's been some major changes.
    (Profiles folder for the user made profiles and settings, not the ProfileTemplates folder, full uninstall before installing the new version also works if you want to be thorough.)

Might be overkill and generally upon finalizing the installation RTSS will prompt for a reboot if it couldn't replace a file which will then be handled upon boot when it'll no longer be in use by the system. :)

So if said prompt doesn't come up the install should have finished without error though a reboot can't hurt to ensure everything is clean and nothing is residing in memory or is in use by either the OS or other third party software.

EDIT: Seeing how these are both .exe files I also tested adding profiles for ApplicationFrameHost.exe.cfg and sihost.exe.cfg but nope, just setting "EnableHooking=0" wasn't enough.
    (Further hinting at it being a system issue I'd guess, not that I can say for sure but RTSS shouldn't try to inject into these with hooking disabled from my understanding of how this works.)