WD replaces HGST Ultrastar HDDs after High failure rates

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    My WD Caviar green died about two weeks ago. It has been thrashed though and is 5 yrs old. I'm annoyed as I lost some stuff but the drive isn't completely dead so I'm hoping to recuperate some data from it eventually (will need a 2nd PC as it will take days it's so slow now.)

3. Inolvidable

Inolvidable Guest

GPU:
    MSI GXT 970
    Wow! I know this kind of things are bound to happen from time to time to any company, even the most reiable ones. So this only incident means nothing.

If reliability rates of HGST HDDs went down over time however, it could mean that WD is messing with the quality of this prestigious brand. Of course it could mean other things. This is just a thought in full speculation mode. I will be paying more attention to reliability rates over the next few reports though just in case.

4. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    It hardly means nothing if WD themselves are addressing the problem. Therefore your comment makes no sense and is completely invalid

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    that the best case for mechanical hdd,
    any mechanical/hardware failure (head/platter/controller) might not easily recoverable
    pcb failure might the lowest risk repair, all you need to get same identic hdd and just replace the pcb board

well i believe if they not really sure what the issue causing failure
    they wont even publish recall as it cost money for them
    i am guessing there is parts on those hdd giving premature failure

quality wise, i dont think WD messing with low quality parts for enterprise desktop, not make sense with high price + long warranty time
    more RMA = more cost to the company, even say they RMA with refurb units

6. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    On enterprise hdds?, I don´t remember.

7. Inolvidable

Inolvidable Guest

GPU:
    MSI GXT 970
    I can understand that you misinterpreted my point because I did not write it well enough and/or because you misread it. However I hardly can see the benefit to be rude instead of constructive.

IMHO a single isolated problem in a particular model means nothing by itself as a variable to predict failure rates of HGST drives in general. This issue would count as an outlier value in the pool of wonderful endurance data this brand has offered so far in all their models over years.

In other words, this issue is helpful to anticipate failures in the particular affected model but it is not helpful by itself (so it means nothing) to anticipate declining reliability rates in any other model of the brand, present and future, which was my point. You can agree or not of course. If you happen to disagree, please, try to articulate it in a way that do not envolve despising my intelect, if you see fit.

IMHO even the most reliable devices are bound to carry a design or manufacturing error once in a while that make them fail. Since some famous pacemaker manufacturer I will not call by name (but people actually died) to SpaceX rocket launch or the Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

In truth I can't remember either a serious issue with any other enterprise HDD, but this devices are not protected by magic. I mean they are also susceptible to this kind of problems that, fortunatelly, only rarely happen.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    New deathstar.

9. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah but with stuff like this they are able to put thousands on laboratories for reliability testing, they know the amount of units that are gonna blow up, they have no excuse.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What are you talking about?

Only news i can find about the supposed merger was in 2014, on april 1st, as an april fools joke.

11. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I'd like to know what you perceived as rude? That says more about how easily offended you are than it does about me. I said nothing rude. I said your comment was irrelevant. That is not rude. It is called an opinion.

The reason it is irrelevant is because if WD are indeed putting feelers out in regards to failures, it would imply this is not something within norms but a flaw in manufacturing or something similar. So this is not a "singular" issue but clearly a widespread one. You make it sound like 1 drive died lol. Clearly not the case hence the article. I'm not sure why you are confused about this but saying that this incident means nothing is absolutely erroneous.

In case you missed it
    "HIGH FAILURE RATES"

It seems you completely misinterpreted that also?

You- "rarely happen" - article contradicts that, so what do you think you know that WD themselves don't? It seems I should have been rude on purpose now as you are either trolling or.....

If I was being rude I would have said "your comment is stupid" (which it kind of is) or something like that. Maybe English isn't your first language? If so then I understand you misinterpreting but I did not intend to insult you or offend you. However offense is taken, not given.

12. Inolvidable

Inolvidable Guest

GPU:
    MSI GXT 970
    It was obvious what you implied, hence my answer. Who knows, I might be susceptible, you might be rude or any combination of both.

Anyhow I think we are not totally confortable with each other discussing this particular matter and since it is just for the fun of it, I think we might agree that it is for the best to let it be here.

There are no hard feelings on my part. We will be sharing more conversations on this site and it will be totally fine. It is just this one that drifted away a little bit.