US Prices of AMD Ryzen Processors Surface As Well - Starts at $316.59

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 9, 2017.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well i'm definitely looking forward to update my rig again with a AMD Ryzen R7-1800X 8c16t , hopefully it will hold me over ~3 years until i upgrade again. Cannot come soon enough ...

2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    looks more and more like a controlled/allowed leak to me.
    perfect for amd to get a feeling what ppl think about the price (range),
    and can still easily adjust a little up/down, and just blame leaks as inaccurate...

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This could be the RAM difference I was mentioning. The DF, Hilbert and other websites have shown that RAM speeds matter in open word and games with a lot of asset streaming. That DDR4 is helping Skylake more than people realize.

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think some of that Haswell improvement wasn't raw IPC performance, but from the additional benefit that AVX2 provided. This can lead to contradictory benchmarks.

6. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Yes, but considering it's part of the chip, it's an advantage it has.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    it's not working because you lack .com.

Regardless that website is blocked.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    When they get released I would love to see the 4 core 8 thread Ryzen compared to my chip xD

10. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    probably a bit, not entirely. but yeah from ddr3->ddr4 there is ~10-15k mb/s raw bandwidth difference. in particular gaming circumstances or on certain engines (hello frostbite) there will be a measurable performance gain when latency is lowered or bandwidth increased. ddr4 does both. probably had a lil somethin to do with the fps increase.

elder, id love to see a comparison if/when you make the switch :D okay enough off topic from me, ill shut up

11. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    observed mode:infinity:

wait & see until Ryzen hit the real world..is Ryzen perform can pass Broadwell-E perform???:3eyes:

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

True, but only for applications that can make use of it :). The performance gain therefore isn't because of IPC improvement, it's just the result of improved efficiencies for applications that are specifically coded to make use of it. It's a good thing :) but seeing as its benefit isn't a certainty, and two programs optimised for AVX2 can show vastly different improvements due to the nature of their processing, it does somewhat invalidate those results if you don't state that the improvement is dependent on the use of the new instructions and can vary greatly between different applications using it. Is that 15 percent a cherry picked result, is it the average of the testing applications etc?

Zen does introduce some new instructions apparentrly, not sure how many of these can be used to accelerate things. The key point though is that if they do accelerate some functions useful for typical programs, games, and benchmarks, that the first benchmarks we see of Zen after release may not take advantage of these instructions. So, consistency. If you say that Haswell is x percent faster than the previous generation, and that is largely due to AVX2, then you must also consider that comparisons with Zen should also take into account the benefits that the new instructions on Zen can provide.

Back to AMD's competition, example only, if there is an IPC improvement of 8 percent (for example), the relevancy of this drops if that 8 percent is the result of a clock boost. This is particularly true if the performance increase is less than the clock percentage boost!

For the rumoured Zen+, which will probably receive a number jump like Ryzen R7 2800X, that gets a 10 percent IPC boost (as rumour goes). This boost supposedly isn't just a result of them running the thing 10 percent faster but being 10 percent faster per clock.

13. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I mostly agree. The Anandtech article I liked to contains quite a bit of nice benchmarks, the page I linked to specifically clocked all chips at the same speed (3GHz). Regardless if benchmarks in the article were optimized for AVX2, the programs I use daily do take advantage of AVX2 (video editing, and a whole bunch of Adobe programs). Obviously, not everything will benefit from it, such as games. If we only do apples to apples, then we have to toss Broadwell out too since it has that "L4" (at least that specific model) that some applications can and will take advantage of. :) I do understand what you are trying to say, but my point is that a new instruction is still something that old chips don't have, thus it's part of the design and "improvements", though it won't be for all applications.

However, let's be serious at least for Ryzen, gaming is not going to be very high on AMD's priority targets for CPUs. They have to regain the market from workstations and most notably, servers. Intel has been king in these highly profitable markets for awhile now. I really hope that this release will allow current X99 prices to fall drastically (so I don't need to swap motherboards) or for both Intel and AMD's future HEDP chips to sport good C/P (efficiency, extra instructions, and ECC would be a nice bonus).

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would say gaming is fairly high on their list as selling AMD CPU could help promote AMD GPU's. If server use was their priority target, Naples, the server version of Zen, would have come out before the consumer variants.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Possibly, I won't argue with that. Don't get me wrong, if I could put in some 3200mhz DDR4 I would definitely try that but I don't really have that option, it'll have to be a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade, I'm afraid.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Whenever I have seen an open world game test involving RAM speeds, the faster memory was always clearly the winner, sometimes by a lot, especially on the lower frame rates.

I'm on the same train. I want to get a GPU for now (waiting to see what Vega will be and what NVIDIA will have, and get whatever I believe I can hold the longer), and the next step would ideally be an 8/16 CPU with at least 32GB 3200 DDR4. I don't believe that anything less than at least doubling my CPU performance is worth it. Believe it or not, the old 2600k@4.5 still holds, mainly due to the HT at this point.

17. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Er... Yes, they could promote AMD GPUs for gaming. However, the architecture and primary target would most likely be server usage (not saying they don't also target other markets). Think about it this way, consumer items are usually lower end compared to workstation/server stuff. This is because margins are thinner and consumers are generally very sensitive to price.

They're going to go with general consumers first because they also have less demands and it's a great way to ramp up production on a new design. Intel basically does the same with consumer desktop (-S) and low-end server (Xeon E3s) vs the E5s (-E) and E7s (-EP) which come later.

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There is also the fact that a Ryzen/Vega APU with 4c/8t and something like 1024 Vega cores at around ~$180 would most likely sell like hotcakes. That with something like 16GB DDR4 3000, a small 256GB NVme SSD, a micro-atx mobo and case and a 1TB HDD for storage, would be a killer little machine.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    + 1 Agree , that would make one hell of a tiny PC. That APU market will gain more track when they release those new APUs , in my opinion.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only problem that their APUs have had, has always been the CPU part. Ryzen is fixing that, and Vega seems to be fixing the power issues in the GPU side, so all roads are clear at this point I guess.