Windows 10 adoption rate is stagnating

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2017.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    pebcak.

2. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Sorry but I'm going to have disagree with you about Windows 8/8.1 it UI is f***ing joke from hell I would much rather deal with Vista then Windows 8/8.1 any day.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    If MS stops the spying, the forced updates and the walled garden approach i will gladly get W10 and i don´t mind paying for it.

But if they keep things like this, then i won´t upgrade to W10 unless i´m forced to.

BTW i have a stupid question regarding W7: i´m gonna build a new rig next month after Ryzen is released and i want to install W7 on it. The problem is that i have to install Vista first because my copy of W7 only works as an upgrade if Vista is installed first... Is this operation possible on Kaby Lake and Ryzen platforms???
    In case i should place this question in another thread, just let me know and i will change it.

Thanks!

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No surprise really.
    Nobody I know likes Windows 10 for the reasons already stated.
    And it looks unpleasant.
    Its a horrible OS.

5. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    There is just install as is with your reg upgrade key

Make a file called win7_upgrade_bypass.cmd
    add the line

slmgr /rearm

save file

Make a file called win7_upgrade_bypass.reg
    add the line

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE]
    "MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000

save file

You will probably need to enter your product upgrade key again I don't call for sure it been a few years the last I done it, usually you would have done the reg merge before entering the key.
    Any problems, win7_upgrade_bypass.cmd as administrator before entering key again

Note you may have call MS on phone for Confirmation ID which not uncommon even I had to do this as well when change system.

This even work with Windows 8 to.

6. gopher04

gopher04 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 Classified
    Win 10 is a Tablet OS, they should off given the dx12 update to Win 7, or even brought out a new version without all the gimmicks and restrictions of the pile of ****e called win 10, I bet their sales figures only show what has been sold, not when peolpe have thrown it in the bin and returned to older Os's.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The amount of people who don't understand that Microsoft as a company will be history unless they move further from win32, is quite staggering. They believe that any company selling something like Windows 7 in 2020, with nothing for other forms of compute, will be "ok".

The only real thing I understand about Windows 10, is the inability to close telemetry completely. On the other hand, that telemetry is anonymous, it is technically required, and it comes from the only company fighting against the US government for privacy.

Just read the quote below, and decide for yourself:

8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Only if you enable is as Tablet Mode then end up looking more like Windows 8/8.1

9. Inolvidable

Inolvidable Guest

GPU:
    MSI GXT 970

I agree. I think these are the main points that are slowing adoption from the mildly tech savvy (meaning everyone from the millenial generation) at least. These points are also encouraging the adoption of dual boot systems, with linux for everyday use and windows for gaming and exclusive software.

IMHO Microsoft has gone too far with the mandatory spyware on Windows 10.

10. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI

Or here.:3eyes:

11. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    Windows 10 has been my best windows experience. Love it.

12. Sevuz

Sevuz Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    Maybe it's because I ain't a power user, but Win10 has not been so bad for me. The only problems I have with is their UWP app crap + their Windows store. So pretty much everything I didn't cared for in Win8.

Windows 7 is the new WinXP, so until they totally kill off Win7 people ain't gonna jump ship... unless they make it free again I guess.

13. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I have a gaming PC, a home PC, and my laptop here at work. They're all on Win 7 Pro, and I don't see any reason to upgrade any of them. The gaming PC has nearly 300 games, 200 of which I haven't even had time to touch, so I'll have plenty of stuff to play on that machine as is for another few years. The house PC has office 2007 installed and is only used for the basics. My work PC is just used for the basics, plus a few odd-ball pieces of software.

I just haven't heard a single good reason to upgrade to 10. DX12 might one day be required for a game I want to play, but it hasn't yet. If Microsoft would allow their exclusives on Steam with no UWP requirement, I would probably upgrade so I could play Gears 4. But that's the only reason I would have.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    UWP is a new type of application and application deployment. The store just serves UWP apps, but you don't really need the store for UWP apps. It's Valve's choice not to offer UWP games. It also doesn't help that Steam is a technical clusterf*ck.

15. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    win 10 is a disaster if you make your living online i guess you have to use it, but for a personal pc, unless you spend everyday online shopping i cant think of any reason anyone would want to use it

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Why zoom in the first place?

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To find the hidden Balmer heads.

[​IMG]

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You have to enable sideloading of UWP applications too AFAIK. Which is kind of like a barrier to entry for non-technical people.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's a fair point. I wonder what the default would be for that in the future, or if applications running as admin can change it.

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Same here. I have 4 W10 licenses. My gaming desktop, my 10" Atom powered tablet, my Lumia 640 smartphone, and a 12 year old single core laptop. All 4 machines run smoothly with no issues whatsoever. To me there is no reason not to upgrade and every reason to do so. One of the best things is the integration between machines which I think works even better than Google's implementation. For example, I add a bookmark on one machine and it automatically gets added on the others. I only use the MS browsers though, IE on the 3 PC's and Edge on the phone.

I also have no problem whatsoever with UWP or the Store. I play both Forza APEX and Horizon 3 and love both of them. It's perfectly okay with me that the games are exclusives and I have no issues with them staying that way. Microsoft definitely has the right to market it's games in any way they want and if a game looks interesting to me, I have no hesitation in using the Store. In one way, the Store is better. If you have your apps on auto update, the games get updated and are ready when you want to play.

I do have one machine still on 7, my 2011 HP AMD APU powered laptop. I'm only keeping it for nostalgia reasons and it only supports DX11. I frequently do think seriously about upgrading it though. I only use it rarely these days since I got the W10 tablet that I use almost all the time as a laptop with it's keyboard attached.

When the new Windows phones come out, the adoption rate will pick up again. That is for certain. I look for them around mid-year or maybe a little later.