New amd RyZen Stock RGB cpu coolers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zer0_c0ol, Feb 11, 2017.

1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't know why they insist on doing this. Don't include a cooler and charge $10 less. No one wants some junk cooler on a CPU meant for demanding tasks. Even these improved coolers look like bottom-tier junk.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I don't think I have to tell you how stupid it is to suddenly ditch the stock cooler concept.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Doesn't AMD also sell processors without the cooler?

[​IMG]

Except as an option...:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Almost nobody buys a high-end unlocked processor for gaming, encoding, etc, then leaves the pitiful stock cooler on it. AMD understood this and that's why in the past they opted to exclude a stock HSF.

Who here has ever ONCE bought a high end chip then used the stock cooler on it permanently? Anyone?

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh dear, what a gimmick. A good product doesn't need flashy bs, please.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Wraith is as good as a 212, and there are a LOT of professionals who would love to have proper stock cooling for their never-overclocked high end CPU.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes...we should just replace the numerals 2017 with RGB. It's getting ridiculous.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    All that picture says is "like a Wraith", who knows how it'll actually perform. And I think the Wraith and the 212 both suck and are incredibly overrated, especially for older CPUs which were more difficult to keep cool while idle. The 212 was fine when it was literally $20, but last I checked it's over double that price now and just keeps selling based on past fame. People don't realize it's not good for the price anymore.

Those professionals who keep stock cooling on high end machines aren't building custom machines and are completely ignorant about PC specifics. They're artists, designers, the sort that buy a machine pre-built and have no clue about specifics beyond what kind of performance or type of machine they need.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

When you buy these from the shop, you are buying a retail kit, not just the CPU. If they sold the CPU just by itself without any frills etc, there may be people 'stupid' enough to install it without a cooler. They'd use the argument 'if it is meant to have a cooler, why wasn't one included?'.

Realistically, for stock clocks the stock cooler is 'fine' (not saying they are good and keep it icy cold, just that it suffices for standard use). For the lower end CPU's it probably makes sense to include the cooler for this very reason, but for the more upper end CPU's, particularly those targetting enthusiasts like the 1700x and 1800x (the 95 W parts), it would make sense that these don't come with the cooler that probably is really only suffiient for the 65 W variants without an overclock.

The real issue is the availability of AM4 compatible coolers. I realise it comes pretty much down to the brackets, but without the right bracket the CPU cooler is not AM4 compatible :). Some brands have already said you can get a bracket directly from them, but the process involved is a bit lengthy and regardless of whether it takes 1 week or 3, if you've got the excitement of building a brand new system you don't want to wait even a couple of days just to get a 'lousy' bracket :). So, let's just hope the retail versions of those mounting kits for the coolers from BeQuiet, Noctua etc, will be available from day one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2017

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, stock coolers are fine for 90% of the population.
    Forcing enthusiast stuff on those who don't want or need it just looks like a scam.

Saying that, CPU cooling has never been something i have spent money on, as the most i have ever spent has been £15.

I like this, and imo the only people who should be threatened by a good stock cooler are those who profit from convincing the masses things will go tits up if they don't buy something else.

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Because these are the best stock coolers around.. comparable to evo 212

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Just a phrase , these coolers are from the wraith series

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    These coolers at least look like they can work on a system. Compared to the old things and intel coolers. And well some people like flashy lights.

15. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    It's the other way around. A 5% of people who try to score the highest overclock using air or water coolers, will probably like that $10 discount. The other 95% who are happy leaving their system stock, because they even don't know what overclocking is, would need that cooler. And believe me there are plenty out there with unlocked processors that don't know what overclocking is. Now the Wrath is a pretty nice option even for moderate overclocking, if I remember correctly, and that lower TDP limit makes it even a better cooler for that.
    One more thing. That extra $10 you pay for the cooler? You'll get them back when selling the processor in the second hand market.

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I could see people getting mad about trying to install an NH-D14/15 or one of the bigger coolers from Cryorig. Not to mention the significant cost tacked on for a cooler like that.

The average buyer definitely wants nothing to do with something harder to install or more expensive than stock cooling.

For example, a friend of mine obsesses about their GPU temps (they think it's going to melt if it runs at 60 - 70C :3eyes:). This same friend balks at the price of higher end CPU cooling.

17. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    I think it is ok to include one, I for one would like to have one with each cpu I buy, even and exactly because I run a custom loop wc.

Sometimes when you troubleshoot and change boards etc. it is easier to have a simple, included, matching cooler always at hand and dont have to mount the whole wc system to boot.

18. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Huh? Come again? You can't be serious.

The only people who buy high end CPUs, and GPUs for that matter, are enthusiasts and serious gamers. The same people who buy neon colored water cooler tubing and florescent cooling fluid, and external reservoir tanks. RGB colored RAM which you can only see with an acrylic case cover.

The pimped out PC is an industry of it's own.

19. RaveFusion

RaveFusion Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2060S
    Sigh... are you a "professional" , does ticking BIOS values make you a "pro" user? smh...

Stock coolers are fine if you are not overclocking your system (which in many cases is not necessary at all). The only reason i would upgrade the cooling solution would be based on noise levels.

Just because you feel the urge to spend 150$ on a closed loop to get 5 to 10c less doesn't mean that a proper stock cooling won't suffice.

I hope these new coolers keep the DB ratings low enough so i don't need to purchase a noctua one.

20. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    yea, if you are 9, I guess it looks cool...Then again, if you are 9, you don't have 320$ for a CPU. IF you are a bit older, you probably know what LED is and can buy one for like 1$, connect it to power and make yourself look like you are 9.