Enable VSR on all GCN cards and enable 4k with 290/x with 15.3 Drivers Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, Mar 25, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The limit is related to your monitor's aspect ratio (16:10), look at the VSR AMD table for supported resolutions (AKA supported modes) in this article from AMDMatt:

https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1301

2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I don't get 1800p VSR on my 280X with dell P2314H over Display Port. 1440p is max that I get.
    That table is not really useful in real word.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You are not the only one, PR opened a thread not long time ago about this "little discrepancy".

Even the artificial limits they want to put for VSR in their drivers don't work well depending on the cable you use to connect your GPU to your monitor(s)..

Is Nvidia supposed to be the culprit again?

LOL

4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I don't what is the culprit, misleading advertising, not enough information or information withheld on purpose. I mean, DP is the best cable you can use to connect your monitor to atm. I doubt that I need dual-link connection to get 1800p?! That would be dumb since GPU is not outputing 1800P to a display device. idk.

PS. I wrote the model of the monitor I use but not everybody know it's specs, duh, so let me add this: it's 1920x1080 16:9 IPS panel with DP connection. According to AMD, I can select 1800p in VSR. According to RL - I cannot. :p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    According to customers, there is a problem between advertised and provided:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=400754

According to AMD support i guess the (unspoken) opinion will be they are all dumb users unable to properly turn on a computer.

6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    omg :) Thank you Sammarbella :) That was a good laugh, just what I needed before the sleep.

Frikin brilliant! The whole issue summarized in one sentence.

7. kurozee

kurozee Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260x iCafe
    Sounds interesting.Did you try doing it ? Any luck with that ?

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @kurozee, Yep...with Nvidia...long, long time ago. Never with ATI :)

9. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

Does anyone work on mod to unlock VSR on 5xxx/6xxx series with 15.11 beta (Radeon Crimson) drivers?

So 380 can use VSR up to 4K without unlocking anything. Any more cards?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
  10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    380 is a rebrand of the 285 (GCN 1.2) so AMD provife the same 4K VSR.

For the rest, VSR mod was locked for good this time.

11. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    So can you toggle GPU scaling on and off after following the instructions in the OP, or do you have to leave it on to keep from breaking VSR?

EDIT:Wow, sorry for the necro, but I'm trying to enable VSR over VGA on my 7970. Also hoping to add custom resolutions since the 4:3 support is lacking.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  12. dejan_ibanez

dejan_ibanez Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290X
    Some people claiming that you can't get 4k VSR with 290x anymore. That they somehow locked the drivers but that just not true. I was able to get 4k VSR with last catalyst 15.11 by replacing the modded atikmdag.sys from 15.2 drivers and it worked. I was trying to do the same thing with latest crimson drivers, but it didn't work. probably to many changes made to the original file as the drivers are much newer. But it can be done again probably if there is someone who knows how to mod the driver right way....

13. munirshah77

munirshah77 Guest

did you use the modded driver or the regular amd driver to get it working. Link for the modded driver is broken. If you have the file, kindly post a link here. I want to get 4k with my 29 290

14. dejan_ibanez

dejan_ibanez Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290X
  15. munirshah77

munirshah77 Guest

Thanks for your response. I have followed your guide with 15.3 and 15.11 driver with no luck. You have mentioned "( if you can't select 4k resolution after reboot) - enable VSR, then find your monitor in the registry and import the code". How can I find your monitor in the registry?

16. munirshah77

munirshah77 Guest

Thanks for your response. I have followed your guide with 15.3 and 15.11 driver with no luck. You have mentioned "( if you can't select 4k resolution after reboot) - enable VSR, then find your monitor in the registry and import the code". How can I find your monitor in the registry? Does it have anything to with DALNonStandardModesBCD1?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017
  17. munirshah77

munirshah77 Guest