The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    *** SOLVED *** just when i was about to give up on this problem that i have been trying to solved for the last 4 days , and was close to rma the video card i have solved the black screen signal lost problem today.

* It is an nvidia driver bug *

"symptoms"
    --------------

Display Screen will go black with a signal lost coming from the display , it will last from 3 to 5 seconds and then the signal comes back to the display back to normal. It will happen intermittent more or less every 15 to 30 minutes , sometimes it will happen more frequently at intervals of 3 to 5 minutes. This will happen with normal use while browsing the web , watching youtube , just sitting at the desktop and gaming.

Hardware that might be related and or affected by this black screen problem:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using a Vizio 50'' D50u-D1 UHD 4K 60HZ Smart TV as my display connected with a HDMI cable from my video card eVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming Black Edition ACX 3.0 HDMI 2.0 port to my HDMI 2.0 port on the display.
    ( HDMI connections to 4k 60Hz UHD displays might be affected by this nvidia driver bug )

Software that might be related and affected by this black screen problem:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 Pro x64bit Version 1607 ( OS Build 14393.693
    Nvidia drivers WHQL 378.49

Solution for the Black Screen lost signal display driver bug problem:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bug will happen only at 4k resolution running at any Hz , be it 60Hz , 59Hz , 30Hz etc...( It will not happen at any other resolution ) , using HDMI conection from the GTX 1070 to the display HDMI connection.

If you suffer from this problem try the following temporary fix.
    Steps for the temporary fix until a new driver with a fix is release by nvidia:
    1. Turn Vertical Sync ( Vsync ) OFF
    2. Reboot your PC
    3. Change your resolution from 4K ( 3840x2160 ) 60Hz to 1920x1080 60Hz and reboot your PC
    4. Change your resolution back to 4K ( 3840x2160 ) 60Hz
    5. You are done and the problem it's fix temporarily , it will reappear again if you turn ON Vertical Sync on the nvidia driver control panel and or sometimes if you boot your PC at 4k ( 3840x2160 ) 60Hz , you need to boot at 1920/1080p 60Hz then once windows is loaded change the resolution back to 4K 60Hz.

This nvidia driver whql 378.49 bug i can reproduce it again and again 100% all the time. Bare in mind that this bug might be happening on my hardware configuration only due to the complexity and differences between hardware configurations out there , but may as well be happening to other similar hardware configurations as well , as a temporary fix please follow the temporary fix guide that i wrote.

I have submitted a bug report to nvidia ( NVIDIA Display Driver Feedback ) and will contact Manuel G. Nvidia rep at Guru3D to let him know about this bug.

Thank you everyone that did their best to help me out , appreciate it all the help.

Bugs in action

Please look here happening at the desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtMZNTrQhA&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHFaJbvCwog&feature=youtu.be&t=45s

Please look here happening while gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8SzOIYEVA&feature=youtu.be&t=1m1s

Kind regards: Angelo

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No problem. Maybe you have an older driver that you can roll back to without the bug present and use that until they fix the issue.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I thought I would post an update about my RMA. Well I'll get my replacement card on Friday.

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great to hear the good news , i'm happy for you :thumbup: , cheers !

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I seem to have a weird issue here: my card seems to be limited to run at PCIe 4x at the moment. GPU-Z doesn't show 16x anymore and the performance is off.
    I used a different slot and it went to 8x (guess my board/CPU don't support 2x 16x), but I can't seem to get it to 16x.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I got my Replacement GTX 1070 from EVGA installed up and running perfectly. Next thing to do is to try overclocking it again.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Try cleaning any dust built up on the pic express slot , also you can use a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol 99% and clean the gold contacts on the video card.

Good to hear :) , let us know how this one overclocks compared to the last one.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Will do. I am hoping to get a better OC on the mem than before. Since I have Samsung memory this time around and I heard that Samsung memory has very good OC potential. Hoping for +400-600 on the mem. I may just run everything at stock and see what I get out of the box first.

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks! I tried that, but it seems like the slot was damaged. The second slot let the card run at 8x, at least, so the card itself should be fine.
    Time to get a new platform finally?

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think you are better off waiting for AMD Ryzen release and compare price to performance ratio between AMD and Intel , then make an informed decision on your next platform of choice. ( I got a strong feeling that Intel might lower the prices on their CPUs when AMD Ryzen CPUs are out )

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I did a little bit of tinkering around with the replacement 1070 FTW with the Power limit and the core voltage set to max that Afterburner allows I got

2012 core
    4007 mem

Not bad for out of the box settings.

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Did it actually increase the voltage? I only raise the power target normally.

@chispy: you're right, but that's probably half a year away. Then, Intel might have already released their new platform. I'm torn, as this expense doesn't come handy at all.
    On the other hand, prices for my old stuff seem to be quite high still. There's never a "perfect moment" for a forced upgrade.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My friend , not at all *( not half a year away ) , AMD Ryzen CPUs and Mobos will be on the shelves of retail and online stores on March 2 , 2017 ( 3 weeks away ) release date with worldwide availability as per Lisa Su.

You can sell your hardware now and get some decent money out of it , the more you wait the more it will loose it's value. Just in my opinion sale everything asap and jump on the AMD Ryzen cpu bandwagon in 3 weeks , by then i believe in 3 weeks also Intel might lower their prices on CPUs and Intel mobo prices might also see a good drop in price. It is the perfect time to upgrade in my humble opinion.

14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, I hope you're right! I'll start with selling my current stuff.

15. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    anyone know what idle clock for gtx1070 with dual/multiple display ?

my rig with 1070, it stay 608mhz all the time is that normal ?
    driver 376.33 and GPU usage is 1~2% only

dual/multiple display always get higher idle clock than single display right ?
    if i am not wrong the idle clock also depends on the display resolution

i am using rainmeter + 8gadgetpack sidebar
    i know that sidebar.exe is lited on GPU application usage
    beside winstore.app.exe and microsoft.photos.exe

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Usually having multiple displays will up the idle clocks a little. If not then you have a program such as a browser, editing program, discord or software that uses GPU hardware acceleration.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I get 215Mhz with two hdmi displays in extended mode. I don't use those programs though. The apps shouldn't make any difference if they're simply suspended in the background.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi guys!

So i´m gonna build a new rig in month´s time, after Zen´s release, and i´m thinking on buying a 1070 for it. The problem is that i don´t want to spend 500€ on a GPU!... Luckily, or not, there is a 1070 that costs "only" 440€, the MSI GTX1070 Armour OC. From what i read from the few reviews available, the Armour seems to be a cheap version of MSI´s gaming line and the biggest difference seems to be that the Armour only has an 8 power pin instead of the 8+6 power pins of the gaming cards.

It seems a solid card still i would like to know your opinion about this model and if any of you has bought one of these cards so you can tell me your experience with it.

Thanks!

19. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Main differences are the fans and less heatpipes (besides clocks etc, doesn't matter anyway). PCB seems to be different but it won't matter much with Pascal, sadly. More phases doesn't mean higher clocks etc. Unless the community/devs come up with a Pascal editor it won't matter, even then it's only going to be useful for <1% of the owners.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm on my third generation of GPUs from MSI, all were great. I'm not sure if this particular model uses a TwinFrozr cooler type though, because imo that is the best feature with MSI cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.