Nvidia Prevents Reselling Bundled Games By Forcing GeForce Experience

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I'm more concerned about Google (I paid 400€ for their Nexus 5). If nvidia want's to know my build, so be it.
    Steam also has telemetry and i don't see anyone raging on Valve.

2. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    actually I hate when a game is bundled with a card, every time it is a game I am never going to play, I would rather have the price of the card be lower than have a game bundled with the card.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I was actually gutted when Nvidia offered GOW free with pascal cards.

As for this situation, I'd prefer they didn't give you guys jack s*** tbh and drop prices on their cards through money saved instead.

4. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    in my country there is no good reseller, so if i hear that some card is bundled with game, and in my coutry you have pay the same price for card without game - i would never bought that card

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This is just one of steps nVidia takes to lock-in PC ecosystem.

Next step... "nVidia Game Experience" => games will be downloaded by GE and once you switch manufacturer of your GPU... Good bye game.

6. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Good. I never liked GFE and I never needed that POS software. The end for me with buying Nvidia products will be when GFE will no more be optional, that day better not happen.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    No, I don't think you are being paranoid at all, HH. Similar things about nVidia have kept me from nVidia products since early 2002--mainly their PR, which I find so condescending it's insulting...;)

8. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    Same here. My GPUs have all come from Nvidia for a good many years now and they've invariably been excellent, but the day GFE stops being optional and drivers aren't available to find elsewhere (like here), will be the last day I own an Nvidia card.

Linking bundled games with GFE doesn't bother me overly much since I've never bought such a bundle and likely never will, but the overall trend I find very worrying. Paying through the nose for an Nvidia card is one thing, but nowhere in the EULA does it state that "by buying this card you are also agreeing to provide every single scrap of data generated by its use to Nvidia for free and in perpetuity".

The way this is heading I have no doubt that such practices will sooner or later be stamped down on by the EU, but that's something which is already long overdue.

9. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    I--REALLY--hate stuff like this. I know this is a tldr wall of text but you might wanna read if you're into reinstalling OSes / dual booting. if you try this on a new machine it can brick your system... or skip to the last paragraph which relates more to the OP and is relateable to everyone.

(to preface this story is nothing to do w/ NVidia, just a similar type of thing). recently I got a new laptop. ALL I wanted to do was dual boot windows 7 and 10 on it. I didn't want to mess w/ the original OS because I knew, from a previous experience w/ a desktop on uefi bios, that some problem like this would happen, so I just left it as is (sans fresh reinstall / enterprise upgrade) and created a separate partition for w 7. all worked perfectly, but I noticed the C drive in w 7 was called D. which created a lot of problems and, surprisingly, is not easily fixable. so then I attempt to fresh reinstall. I used a different copy of windows 10 because brand new machine/OS which I own ... came w/ no install disc, or media, or even a serial number... no matter what I tried, I couldn't get my other valid copy of w 10 to activate. I called the manufacturer "call Microsoft" ... I called Microsoft "call the manufacturer" ... now manufacturer tells me the OS serial number was tied to the motherboard and it was now impossible to activate windows. i'm like "wtf is my serial number for w 10?" they're like "we don't know, it's just some code embedded in your motherboard

???WTF???

so, next is send laptop in to get fixed. (a month goes by). laptop comes back w/ greasy fingerprints all over it <_< ... I check activation. NOT ACTIVATED. call them back "WTF DID YOU EVEN DO???" they're all "we restored BIOS and reinstalled your OS." i'm like awesome thnx yet my problem remains i'm not activated! they're all, ok next step, we'll send you a USB activation stick to restore everything >_> (another month passes by... I attempt to fix things myself going down several rabbit holes to no avail. one of which included changing 1 BIOS setting. was so afraid to update BIOS because i know it can void warranty, but I figure change one thing what harm could be done. changed 1 thing--totally screwed up / glitched out my bios and bricked my device lol... tried changing that 1 bios setting back, did not stick. tried changing back to optimized defaults, glitched my device even harder ... could not even get into the BIOS menu anymore WTF) but whatever, OS install stick finally arrives in mail, .. after months of being locked out of my brand new $2000 machine ... I call manufacturer, they walk me through reinstall and activation ... the stick does some crazy/impressive autoscript that restores my bios ... okay ... w10 reinstalls, okay, check activation--NOT ACTIVCATED. they don't know why. LOL ... my machine remains unactivated / appears hacked now, and i'm pissed / demand that they just take it back and send me a brand new machine, which they do (colossal waste of time, energy, productivity, and now hardware ... more months go by). new laptop comes in the mail no longer quite so new... (it's been like 3-5 months at this point when I finally get my "new" laptop and can't even do everything I want w/ it now) and now I am terrified that if I attempt to fresh install or dual boot something will go horribly wrong. so I guess just no w 7 on this pc till like 5-10 years down the line when idc about it anymore and I try some newer BIOS version... then I will finally have full access to my "new" machine >_>

so like, I am sure I made some newb mistake but this is just infuriating because we spend thousands of dollars on hardware/software that we "own" yet security protocols and straight up sketchy nonsense like serials tied to hardware that you can no longer access/bricks our systems by doing basic crap like reinstalling an operating system. I sincerely hate UEFI bios, serial numbers tied to hardware, and telemetry. this nonsense has to stop! I already paid thousands of dollars! let me own my hardware already... without eating performance or hijacking my data in secret or for no real reason. "I couldn't care less if they wanna watch me rub one out in the morning" as someone here once put it so eloquently LOL... but when it comes to eating my desperately needed performance or bricking stuff I already paid for or some BS scam that renders my hardware/software obsolete/deleted/bricked ... it is sooo stupid and annoying!!! come up with a system that has negligible performance impact and actually makes sense and works before forcing new glitchy ass beta scams to spy our data and trick us into buying everything again on already high priced hardware ffs. it's like a living nightmare, like Trump getting elected. I thought things were supposed to get easier/better/more liberated and free/inexpensive/more automated in the future?? ~_~; ugh.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  10. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    that's because anyone with half a brain doesn't use steam. lol

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

more reason for me never to install GFE,

12. semantics

semantics Member

GPU:
    N/A
    The Key is a digital product and you download the game digitally it's a free promo added to the product not part of the product price, It's also against TOS to sell the key, in the US a strictly digital product doesn't retain resell rights like a physical one does. Germany might be another deal.
    Steam also doesn't allow resale of games
    Except the games don't have a relation to the price of the card, flagship cards had games bundled with them at 499 when flagship cards were 499 now they are what 599 or 650 now that nvidia found a way to increase price though their FE program. Basically a disconnect between marking and sales, people don't see the games as value added all the time, they also see it as value lost because they don't want the game to begin with.

Once again this is exactly the same thing AMD does
    https://www.amd4u.com/amdgamepromo/
    You download a program to verify you have the right card then it promps you to log-in steam/origin/uplay to give you the game to inhibit reselling.

After the game is tied to your uplay/steam/origin account it's untied from amd/nvidia and it's yours to do what ever with. People drink too much h8ter-aid.

13. darkcoder

darkcoder Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Ahhh poor NGreedia users

Why the sad face, don't you like the NGreedia GeForce (Get Forced) Experience :mad2:

14. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i stopped being so paranoid android, and installed GFE3, and i love it, i just disable game optimizations, and use the shadow play features.

Its easy, it works (with my webcam too), even my kid uses it. with his 750ti!

ps: im not like omg nvidia will hackz meh, omg omg it wants my precious informationsz

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forced login was reason enough. They can make it worse and I won't even care.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Very bad move from Ngreedia. I have never installed that bloatware GFE and never will , no matter how many games they trow at me for free :infinity:

17. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Not a fan of mandatory software, but the reaction here is crazy. You install it, redeem your code, then you can do away with GFE.

The sky is not falling. This is mostly used as a way to prevent some people from abusing the previous:

Order from Amazon -> Get code -> Cancel order -> Sell code -> Repeat

Not totally foolproof, but one step towards reducing ***** (why is f r a u d censored?).

18. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    now what if you buy 2 cards for SLI and each come with the same game, what will you do with the second identical game?

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Download "RWeverything", find your windows key under "ACPI" icon => "MSDM" tab.
    Add it manually to OS. Activate. But since those guys servicing your laptop were not able to do that, it is possible they did something else and destroyed this information through some form of "retard flash".

Edit: Secondly. If you activated windows properly 1st time, it is tied to your microsoft account (email).
    You can log on web to check what edition you have license for. And maybe that key embedded is for another edition.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's the only legit complaint I've seen in this whole thread of whinning.