AMD Ryzen CPUs to support Windows 7 with drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Looks like a smart move on AMDs part. There are lots of people still insisting to remain on Windows 7, thus supporting that OS when the competition doesn't should gain them some sales when Windows 7 users decide to upgrade their hardware..

2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @SirDremor and Agonist
    how about the fact, that i dont like to be asked 100 times a day, if i want to do stuff (no matter if admin or not).
    just because lots of user dont know what they are doing, doesnt mean i have the same problem.

how about that i dont like that the gui looks like i installed XP on my 1500$ rig?

how about the fact that there are still no working drivers for my 100$ soundcard?
    and when did 10 come out?? (dont answer that...)

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!

Lets blame MS for you spending $100 on a sound card that is not supported and not blaming the manufacturer.
    Ill just sit here and laugh while my $30 XFI extreme audio bought in 2008 still works perfectly with Win 10 in my step sons PC.

I get asked 0 times when I do what I want. Why because UAC is off, I know what I am doing, and I took ownership of Win 10 app/games so I can do as I please.

Might wanna tidy up you'r post main points and they are in random shambles.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I found installing Windows 8 fixed all my problems with Windows 10... xD

This is pretty awesome that AMD will be supporting the platform that a lot of gamers are on.

5. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Definitely good news as I'm still using Windows 7 and plan to keep it that way for at least 3 years until it's no more supported.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good move AMD. More people should be a able to choose what OS they want to stay on.

Bloatware10 still not appealing. I'd consider it if M$ would allow users what components to install or release MIN version of it.

7. nattefrost

nattefrost Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660
    same here- solid with win7. not sure i'll be upgrading from my 4770K tho but props to amd

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You take minimum requirements way too seriously, and you are easily bullied by the looks of things. Some games don't even list non-NVidia cards for example, does that mean anything in practice? Please stop feeling repressed so easily, it's a fast gateway to drug and substance abuse.

Of course. And if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be changing system-wide files and settings a hundred times per day, so there is that. It's funny how everyone who "knows" why UAC is not necessary can't even read a two-page long article that explains it's so much more than a confirmation prompt. It's ranges from enabling registry and account isolation to forcing developers into coding applications that respect system boundaries. Now all the cool kids want to be pros and disable UAC.

Taste is a very personal thing, so I can't really comment on that. What I can only say is that after using apps like Readit (Reddit client), Unstream (Twitch client), Groove Music, the integrated Outlook Mail/Calendar, Skype Preview, Acast (for podcasts), there is no way I'm going back to the Win32 equivalents. Using the Facebook/Twitter apps I have also managed not to pollute my browser sessions with Google and Facebook tracking cookies.

We have very similar sound cards, I have the D2X. They both work perfectly under Windows 10. There are even two versions of the driver you can choose, the official one, and the setup I prefer which is the Unixonar driver (based on the latest C-Media driver) with no control panel for the lowest possible latency and Xonar Switch as the driver interface.

Somewhere here I have to say that if drivers are working under Windows 7, and they are digitally signed, they will work under Windows 10. Even GPU drivers.

9. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Good call by AMD, the vast majority of desktop users are still on windows 7 including myself, I don't need an incredibly hostile os trying to dictate my every move and flooding me with useless mobile apps and adware, not to mention the gargantuan amounts of data funneling out the back door to microsoft.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What games are rejecting a 2700k? Come on, at least make some sense. Specific minimums have been out for a long time. Remember decades ago when specific amount of kilobytes of memory had to be free or you had to use certain wonky DOS driver...Take a pill and get some perspective, you've never had it easier.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I was one of those who absolutely refused to move onto Windows 8, it disgusted me. Yet I don't understand the reluctance people have of upgrading to Windows 10. Just from a security standpoint alone it's time to move on.

We're not the average users, the auto update shenanigans isn't much of an issue for us. There's little legitimate reason left to stay on Windows 7. By staying on Win 7 you're gimping your security more as time passes, missing out on DX 12 (and Win 10 exclusives if that matters to you), lowering your chances of having compatible software more as time passes, and did I mention that the bluetooth drivers of Win 7 are crap full of issues compared to Win 10? Just to get some devices working in Win 7 I had to install Toshiba's bluetooth stack, then uninstall it to get other devices working, what a mess.

I think MS needs to be kicked in the balls and heavily fined for cheating Win 10 down some users' throats. They need to be made an example of. But that doesn't change the fact that you stragglers stubbornly holding onto Win 7 are only gimping yourselves.

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I can't even use Windows 7 Ultimate anymore :puke2:. Far inferior to my Windows 10 Pro. :) Only people motivated by their hatred and envy towards MS are gonna buy Zen or last year's Intel CPU just to punish "Bill" and his colossal creation.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Hatred towards Microsoft? wouldn't it be hatred towards Windows 10? especially if the individual chooses to use a previous Microsoft operating system.

I'm guessing lots of people will buy Zen because of it's price/performance, not because those people hate Bill Gates or his colossal creation.... whatever that might be.

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Agonist
    who said i purchased to card recently?
    i had it before 10 came out, and im not gonna throw it out because MS is to stupid and/or lazy to write working drivers that can then be used by the manufacturers.

maybe you like a crappy xfi, but i dont know anyone with +100$ speakers or headphones and interested in SQ, that would recommend creative cards.

and after having 5 different type of creatives cards all experiencing the same problem (left channel has lower vol), i know i won't waste my money on them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Might be a bit of 'fool me once'. Windows 8...what can I say. I agree, it horrible. So horrible I think it may have left a lingering stench. As the transition product to Windows 10...ugh...Oddly transitioning from 7 to 10 should be fairly painless. It's different but not foreign. Windows 8, was different and felt foreign.

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Why is everyone saying "Bill"?

He hasn't been involved in Microsoft for nearly 10 years already.

Heck, it's not even "Steve" anymore.
    Don't really know who is running m$ today, but it's definitely not Bill. Give the man a break, he's giving away all his money to charity. 1000 more than all of you combined in 10 lifetimes.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    'Bill' is just easier for them than typing Micro$oft. Though the really edgy ones are down to M$.

18. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    What I'll probably do on my next setup is install Windows Server 2016, install the GUI and whatever I see fit... and thus I'll basically have Win10's security and power without all the spyware and bloatware! Yay!

Currently happy with Windows 8.1. I'm probably gonna get some hate from both Win7 and Win10 lovers, but I seriously think that Win7 lacks in several places, and Win8.1 doesn't have all the bloatware that Win10 has... and the Windows Update process isn't "rubish" (to put it kindly)... I don't know. It's the best think in the middle for me right now until I see how WinServ16 works out.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  19. Viper666

Viper666 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 460 2GB
    Drivers working on Win7 will probably work on Win10, i have a bunch of hardware which works just fine by installing the 7 drivers (latest ones available). Too call MS stupid and lazy because you bought some "special" hardware which is not supported anymore by its OWN manufacturer is beyond common sense.

There were loads of programs back in the days which would exploit some settings on that exact version of windows they were made for, rendering them obsolete on others. That represents a lazy/inexperienced developer which people should avoid.

As for your creative sound card problems... common sense dictates if 5 different instances reach the same conclusion, a constant in the method of testing is flawed.

20. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

Using Windows 10 at the office and i'm sure i'll never use it at home and stick as long as i can with Windows 7 at home the same way i sticked with Win XP till Win7 and skipped that crap Vista.

Windows 10 might be as fast as Windows 7 but this is only when you don't have all the telemetrity services and preloaded crap from Microsoft running and boasting the SATA 3 Command Queue to 100% scaning and sending God knows what crap back to MS.10x but no 10x

Windows 7 is as fast as Win 10 in games if not faster because of the crap i mentioned.There is Vulkan support and now and RYZEN support i don't see a single reason migrating to Win 10 for every day home user.

As for the drivers dudes cmon educate yourselfs every single electronic circuit in your hardware that is OS accesible is controlled via driver.And if AMD wants all of the NEW features in their CPU to work correctly and with full performance in Windows 7 they should release a driver.

It will work and without the driver anyway the same way KabyLake works with Windows 7 despite it is "Unsupported" OS