Backblaze report: 8-terabyte HDDs lasting a long time - HGST Most Reliable

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Razer82

Razer82 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 470 8GB
    If I am not mistaken, I believe that Toshiba bought the HGST 3.5-inch business from WD because of requirements of regulatory agencies.
    So I think reliability is on the side of Toshiba.

3. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    its quite complex but its safe to say HGST = WD

based http://www.enhancedonlinenews.com/p...Id=20120228007152&newsLang=en&permalinkExtra=
    OR
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGST
    In May 2012, WD divested to Toshiba assets that enabled Toshiba to manufacture and sell 3.5-inch hard drives for the desktop and consumer electronics markets to address the requirements of regulatory agencies

so toshiba making their own 3.5 HDD, thats why on early take over there lots rebranded hitachi hdd, there no longer now
    we can say toshiba hdd = hitachi hdd, as its using hgst asset to manufacture their hdd

but hitachi hdd is not toshiba hdd
    so cant say hitachi hdd same to toshiba hdd / reliability, as toshiba not producing hitachi hdd

4. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    45 drives isn't really statistics

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering WD seems to be falling behind in reliability, it seems like all of their efforts go to the king HGST, while the consumer WD branded drives are an afterthought. Or maybe this is a purposeful action, to remain both in the more expensive (profitable) business, but also to cut costs mercilessly.

6. Ma Lau

Ma Lau Guest

GPU:
    R390
    Red herrings?

The numbers are difficult to use and draw out conclusions. It seems the report does not show failure rates of drives at 1-year-old, 2-year-old etc.

E.g. The numbers are showing that older drives have higher failure rates. However we are more interested to know which brand/model has more reliable drives, all else being equal including age.

Or have I misunderstood something?

7. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I don't know that that's true. The HGST drives are the oldest drives in the list and have the highest reliability.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Quite an improvement for Seagate, and worse showing for WD. Earlier stats (2013-2015):

[​IMG]

9. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Every statistician is collectively rolling their eyes at these charts.

I'm not beyond saying Seagate has improved their brand, but as long as you're not throwing your drives across the room, I've yet to have a Western Digital drive fail (given, I'd had to disable head parking on all my Green/Blue drives).

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Doesnt make sense. Statisticians would have less issue with large data points (thousands of drives) than they would with any single users anecdotal evidence of a few drives.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    For example, that chart you posted lack the metrics necessary to make any sort of valid comparison. At the minimum we need age, hours, install base, capacity a few more come to mind. So he's not talking about the data, he's talking about the presentation.