AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.1.2 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2017.

1. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    So, let's summarize:

GCN v1.0 card holders are still suffering from the UVD bug after 6 months. AMD has not yet acknowledged this issue and chances are, they will never fix the bug. In fact I would expect them to move GCN v1.0 cards to legacy branch and stop releasing driver updates for them after releasing of the VEGA cards.

AMD's overclocking API is broken on all cards except the Fury and RX series which creates severe compatibility issues with third-party overclocking utilities. Nothing can be done about this but wait for a fix from AMD. Since this issue also affects their own Wattman, there is some glimmer of hope that they would fix it, but there is no guarantee.

Some points to pay attention to when replying:

• If you have a Fury or RX card, you don't need to keep telling us that everything works smoothly for you, WE ALREADY KNOW; these bugs do not affect you, so of course everything works for you.
    • If you have one of the affected cards but are not experiencing the issue, you are either extremely lucky or you are not looking hard enough; stop blaming the user for an issue that pretty much everyone is experiencing except you.
    • If you think we should upgrade because our cards are too old, save your breath; AMD has given us little to no reason in the past 6 months to trust them and spend money on them again.
    • If you think we should go and tinker with our card's BIOS because AMD's engineers are too lazy to fix what they broke, despite the fact that this is exactly what they are being paid for, again save your breath; we didn't give AMD money to have to do their job for them.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats a nice summary, Theast. I completely agree with you. Now its coming that part where you accept it and let it go. AMD probably wont fix our 5 year old card. We should be lucky performance state is working fine and card is still usable.

That said, competitor nvidia Kepler GK104 is long dead. I dont see any users of those cards in this forum. They moved on and upgraded becouse it was legacy underperforming card while Tahiti lived on.

Its up to you. You have couple of choices what to do next just like the rest of GCN1.0 users.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I had R9 290 and R9 390x and never had this problem. It's probably not that common, but people are vocal about it (I don't blame anyone though).

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    "had" is past, "have" is present.

Current drivers used in 290(X) GPUs in the present time is a different story than "some time ago when i was young with older drivers".

I had the original (ATI) Fury in late 90's (when i was not so older than now) and i never had this problem back then...obviously. :D

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    So many years without issues and only now when the new architecture came out am I
    starting to see some, After 16.12.2 up to 17.1.2 everything is giving me a black
    screen 10 seconds after windows boots up. Tried literally everything that boots up with
    it (overclocking related tools) to get disabled but nothing. Had to roll back to the last
    working version before reLive appeared.

6. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Am I the only one who gets an app crash well shutting down with all the relive drivers? I do not get it on my work computer with an XFX R9 380. However, I do get it with my 2 x Sapphire Furies at home. If I do a DDU and go back to 16.11.5, that crashing goes away.

7. Kiteri

Kiteri Member

GPU:
    vega64
    Horrible flickering in DAoC (very old mmorpg) when FreeSync is on. Had to turn this off. Otherwise no issues so far.

8. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    The only reason I will not use Trixx is that I have to disable ULPS to use it. I would rather not since it would increase idle power consumption on my 2 x Sapphire R9 Furies. However, I also do not use Afterburner and would prefer to use what is built in instead.

9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Although you could be correct, I am only using what is built into Windows 10. :D However, I will disable the small handful of programs I do have running on startup and see if that helps, thanks.

10. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    i installed the first 16.12.1 relive drivers with many problems such artifacts in game or crashes an so on.. i was waiting for a fix that never came out

but.. few days ago i installed the 17.1.1 and (since now) i have no problems, no crashes no artifacts.. quite strange isn't it?

SEEMS THAT amd fixed something somewhere and they didn't write it in the changelog and this is just crazy and honestly unacceptable

11. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    R9 380 cards are 18 months old (!)

12. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    winner :D

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's POS excuse, as at the same moment NVIDIA is being roasted for Kepler/Fermi. You either support the cards, or you don't. Even if you don't, you can't leave them in this state. His 380 is GCN 3.0. AMD STILL SELLS 370s. This isn't any new fancy 3D tech, this is basic clock gating we're talking about here, and it's inexcusable.

14. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Nvidia has also kept improving the drivers back to the Kepler GPUs. Computerbase.de tested with three different drivers, and even when moving from the 368.39 to the 376.33 drivers, performance increased slightly, and it was a similar gain for both Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal.
    https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/geforce-treiber-test/2/#diagramm-dirt-rally

15. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    You got it all wrong. Its easier and cheaper to ignore the issue than to fix it.
    I dont get it either why people think that 1st gcn cards are old when they work in same way as new polaris. The only differences are hw encoder and power limiters which now match their gaming power consumption instead of frying VRM with almighty-donut.

This is why someone with some influence should do something about it (like Hilbert for example). AMD does not care because only small percentage can detect the issue, thats why they will ignore it and blame others for their mess like software on your system, motherboard or whatever.
    For those who still think that AB needs a fix even after unwinder responses, I have to say that I avoided fan speed bug because I used AB. And if you need a proof what is actually broken, it AB is broken, than it would not work with any drivers, not just newer ones

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Ahhhh! Now I understand!
    That's also why Windows 10 is broken...
    Because if Adobe Photoshop would be broken, than it would not work with any Windows, not just newer ones :nerd: [/sarcasm]

Nah in all seriousness.
    I don't have that issue on a GCN 1.0 card.
    I never had it, and I iterated through every single driver version in the last months.

Is it Windows 7? Is it because I don't use 3rd party apps? Is it because I have custom clocks & fan & voltage set via BIOS?
    I don't know.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yes, it's that.

If you lock GPU timings/voltage in your modded GPU BIOS then AMD drivers can't mess with them.

18. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Afterburner is updated to support OC for polaris and their new overdrive API as unwinder said (and it worked fine as far as I know for all cards). It is not just afterburner issue, all OC apps suffer from same thing from what I could read. Same new API existed even with 16.7.2, but issue with OC starts with newer drivers on specific cards and these cards are not GCN 1.

As for UVD bug, I have seen same thing on 6 GCN1 cards (pitcairn and tahiti from HD7xx0 to 370 version) on both win7/10 and on all PCIe versions 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0. Yap, drivers are ok, it just happens that all 6 cards are faulty if drivers used are newer than 16.7.2. That makes more sense considering we have perfect drivers.

19. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    I got some strange errors while launching The Evil Within (game keeps defaulting to other resolutions, didnt do this previously) but this drivers seems to have fixed issues I had with the previous ones.

- Currently no more 'Top of the screen flickers' when: 1) Quitting a game running through VSR 2) Opening my monitor after closing it 3) Changing resolution or refresh rate
    - No system hanging so far
    - No '150mhz' bug so far.

I haven't tried using Mantle (gave screen flicker previously), haven't tried using WattMan (no interest in it, bugged previously). I haven't tried overclocking my memory (not clock) speed so far (buggy before, gave screen flicker on 2D elements in games).

20. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    You know what is even cheaper than that? Not breaking them in the first place. Neither the UVD bug nor the overclocking API issue existed 6 months ago. I am not asking for new features for my old card, just don't break what is already working, how hard could this possibly be?