TV + HDMI + Nvidia = Content Type Reported to the Display

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Jan 31, 2017.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Which one do you choose ?
    I'm using Philips 7007 3D TV 40"

Auto Select (Recommended)
    Desktop Programs
    Photos
    Movies
    Games
    Full Screen-Videos

Do you see any different ? cause I can't see anything it does or change

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have only desktop programs and video available but I leave it as auto. My TV is set to PC mode so I don't think this option makes any difference. Just make sure your output dynamic range is properly set (nvidia) and same with hdmi black levels in your TV. Those made the biggest difference in colors for me.

3. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

So it will work only when PC Mode is not enabled ? hmm that's interesting

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Unless you need the audio through HDMI, use CRU 1.3 to disable the extension bits to have it be detected as a DVI connection. This helped with frame times, TV mode related latency and proper color spaces and black levels with my 47" LG 1080P TV.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This.

6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

I need 3D .. can I disable all and keep 3D option ?

Can you show me what you disable or such and what you have in the CRU option ? I use it already to delete the 59Hz because it drove me insane. now 60Hz works fine but I'm still looking how I can improve it more. but I don't know how or what while keeping the 3D option available.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    It still works for me. I've tried it with movies and games like Sniper Elite 2/3 and Diablo III.

8. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

Can you show me screenshot what you disabled or how you do it ?

I want to see it , do you have skype or anything so we can do it faster ?

Because I still need it to be detected as HDMI so I can watch Bluray movies, if it doesn't detect as HDMI it won't detect the Real 3D or Sequential 3D , no ?

Also I want to use DSR and such.

I'm not sure what to do so it detects as DVI cable + 3D support + Bluray3D support + DSR and no audio.

I only know how to make it work as HDMI with full 3D and full 60Hz without 59Hz.

this is how it's now , it is using PC resolution and not TV or ULTRA HD thing. do you mean this mode or there is other mode which mean HDMI ? cause now it's HDMI-HDTV
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I might be able to help more at a later time tomorrow. It is 3 in the morning where I live and I'm heading to bed. It was really simple for me, quite surprising in fact. All I did was use CRU 1.3, export my HDMI bits just to be safe, delete them from the "Extension blocks" box and then use the "restart64.exe" provided by CRU. That is the ONLY thing I did and every single thing I've done since then has been exactly as intended or better than before.

10. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    What did you delete , the resolution or which one ? TV resolution ?

11. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Pretty sure all you have to do is delete/use a blank extension block.

12. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Then I lose 3DTV and I can't play games using the 3DTV. only play 3D movies . so I guess I can do that cause I don't use it much and only for movies and can always import back.

But I'm not sure why there is the Default Extension and the Hdmi-Audio and such.

What exactly I need to choose, to delete all the the TV Resolution and use Default Extension , that's it ?

but if I delete ALL of them then I will lose the Colorimetry and all the things they won't work after like 12bit and such. and maybe 3D at all

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  13. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

I'll be damned...

Just tried this on my Samsung 4k TV in PC mode over HDMI and its noticeably improved frametime in games. I wonder why the hell this isn't a native option in drivers or TVs at this point. It might be just my imagination but it seems to reduce input lag a tiny bit as well.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yep, such is the case for many TVs

15. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Good to know I'm not one of those placebo driven whack jobs... at least in this case.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Dang. Not quite sure what to tell you. My TV is passive 3D though, maybe that has something to do with it? You can try deleting each individual "bit" under the HDMI extension stuff as trial and error to see what does and doesn't work for your TV.

Awesome! Glad you found this and that it helped. Just to be clear, I am *NOT* the first person to discover this or mention it. I just spread it like wildfire now to help as many people as possible using TV's for gaming rigs. It was a 4 year (on and off) quest to get my TV working perfectly as a gaming rig and only through Guru3D was I able to do it.

No placebo here for sure, my frame times leveled out perfectly compared to horrible stutters in every game/engine with standard HDMI. I just helped one of my best friends build a 6600k/RX480 machine and he hooked it all up to his TV after I left. He bought a Vive, set it all up and asked me why it stuttered and skipped so much. I went back over, did this CRU extension bit thing and PROVED to him, via MSIAB graphs, that his frame times were terrible before and perfectly stable now. He also shouted out "Holy crap!" after loading up a VR game post fix.

17. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Yeah, its rare finding tweaks that aren't complete snake oil this day and age. I usually try anything I find either way just to be sure but this definently works and is certainly something worth passing along. Thanks for sharing Builder, cheers.

18. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    This is just a compatibility setting for programs that do not treat a selected color space properly set within the control panel.

Desktop Programs is geared towards the RGB color space and Full-Screen Videos towards the YCbCr color space. If the graphics driver isnt properly switching to the correct colorspace automatically for content running on your computer (depends on if the software is coded properly to tell the graphics driver to switch), you can force the type of content through this setting.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  19. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Could someone please make a screenshot of how it looks? (The old img/link is deleted) Whenever I try and delete all extension blocks for my Tv's resolution the image gets scewed somehow. I have a lot of lag in my TV and this would be really helpful.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Which TV and mfr year are you using?