The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    There really isn't much options either (or at least practical options). There always is the 1080 but that doesn't seem worth upgrading to if I already have a 1070 and fps is just ~5 away from what I want. Then there's putting in another 1070 and going sli but I rather not go sli because of all the issues and lack of support. 1080p is always a fallback option if the settings get too low at 1440p but now that I am used to 1440p, it's tough to use 1080p. I had a pretty sick oc with my previous 970 using a modified bios...not sure if I can do the same with this card in the future after a bios tweaker gets released(not getting my hopes up since raising the voltage on afterburner had zero affect). Oh well, I guess this will do until the next gen cards get released. Thanks for the suggestion and help anyways:)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    1070 is worth it for the price difference vs performance gap. Im happy with it.

3. Mars73

Mars73 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080Ti
    I can completely relate to it.
    Bought the 1070 last summer, playing at 1920x1080 I could turn on everything at the highest and not think about anything.
    Then I bought a 3440x1440 34" monitor and while a lot games still play at ultra smoothly there are cases where you have to turn down a few things to get it smooth.
    I had it overclocked memory +600 and core +85 for a long time (Samsung memory) and am now testing with memory at 0 and clock at +100. Seems stable, whereas mem at +600 and clock at +100 is not.
    Also wish it could push just a few notches higher to get to that set and forget everything at max point.
    Oh well, it's still performing excellent, not going to swap it for a 1080 anyway. (but still after every driver update trying to see if it goes a bit further haha).

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Ok thanks for the advice. I will send my card to EVGA so they can make it right since I paid well over $460 bucks for the card.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Black screen/lost signal every few minutes lasting only 2~3 seconds then comes back ?

Guys i am having a issue that is bothering me a lot. I am having this problem and it is affecting everything i do on my PC. Every 5 or 10 minutes my screen goes completely black with a lost signal warning from my display and then it comes back :/ . This is a brand new out of the box eVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 since the first 1070 i bought was doa and i did rma that faulty video card.

This happens anytime , it could take anywhere between 5 or 10 minutes but it will do it again and again while browsing the web , watching youtube or gaming. My screen will go black with a lost signal warning from my UHD 4K TV for around 3 seconds and then the signal cmes back. The display it's connected via hdmi 2.0 with a Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable by monoprice ( 18Gps , certified by HDMI organization with the logo , 20 feet long ) this one = https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427 , is connected to my Vizio 50'' D50u-D1 UHD 4K 60HZ thru the hdmi #5 on the TV wish is the recommended hdmi 2.0 for gaming on this display.

Things that i have done: Checked the hdmi connections and cable ( it's a brand new cable so it is not the cable ). Uninstall nvidia drivers and re-install the latest whql 378.49 drivers running DDU and CCleaner before re-installing. I only install the nvidia display driver , nvidia audio driver and Physx with a clean installation. In Nvidia control panel i have vsync as selected by application , perfomance mode mode enable everything else is left at stock and / or as per application controlled. I have reset the motherboard bios and also re-flash the mobo with the latest bios. The video card is running at stock settings , no oc and not touching anything.

Any idea why this is happening ? I am at lost right now because i cannot have such a bad luck and have 2 brand new video cards been faulty :( , it seems some kind of bandwidth related problem or a driver issue. The display is a 4K 60Hz certified and i never had this problem before with my last amd 290x video card and my eVGA gtx 750Ti. Any help , guidance and opinions are welcome. Please give me a hand my fellow Gurus i do not want to RMA this video card again. Thank you in advanced.

Kind Regards: Angelo

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I know that you RMAed the card before but did this happen with the card you had before the RMA? Do you still have either your 750 Ti or your r9 290X? Because you can try those out and see if they do the same thing as what your 1070 is doing? Do you have any other devices hooked up to your 4K TV like a PS4 or Xbox-one and do they do the same thing?

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the quick reply , appreciate it.

No , this issue never happened with the other 1070 that was rma.

I'm sorry :/ right now i only have my GTX 1070 , i sold my gtx 750Ti and 290X , but i did tried those two cards at 4K on this same display and never had an issue with them , no black screens etc... they did ran flawless.

No , nothing else is hooked up to my 4K tv , i only have my pc connected to it.

Do you think i am missing a setting with the nvidia control panel or something else ? I am at lost with this issue :(

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    To me it sounds like some kind of power suspend mode issue like what happened with certain AMD cards. Like something is telling the card to go to suspend mode or something. But I am guessing at this point. When I had my R9 290 card installed I had black screen issues when it was just idling but the problem there was I was using 2 power connectors off of the Same PCI-E Power connector rather than using two separate power connectors. Or it could be some kind of Power issue. No I don't think there is any setting with in Nvidia control panel that could cause this unless there is something that I am missing.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I did a google search on this issue and they are thousands of reports of this problems wish leaves me with more questions than answers. I am going to try a few things and let you know if i can fix it somehow , it does not look like a hardware ( video card problem ) , will see. Thanks again for the help Fender.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not a problem. Lets hope that it is not a card issue.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I started the RMA process for my GTX 1070 FTW edition. What needs to be done is the RMA needs to be submitted.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I hope you get a good one , it seems evga is lacking quality control.

I'm still looking for a solution to my problem , most likely i'm looking for a second rma for mine too :(

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi Angelo

Are you using assume Win10 or are you still at Win7?

Do you have enabled UEFI boot or are you have enabled Legacy boot?

Can you try Legacy boot or try UEFI but not with fast boot?

I'm still at Win7 at moment bit have run Win10 too for while and no issues with any of my monitors although my monitors are connected through the Displayport(DP) and not through the HDMI

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi there Jura. I am on windows 10 Pro x64bit. UEFI boot without fast boot it's what i am using right now. I will try legacy boot now as you sugested , brb let me give it a try.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well there is no legacy boot option on this mobo Bios :/ , only secure boot and UEFI boot.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi Angelo

Only thing which I thinking is did you tried to hot plug TV or did you tried any other connector/connection on TV

If this doesn't work then I'm not sure there, only thing I would suggest do you have spare HDD and install there Win7 or Win8?

But agree people do report these issues over on other forums which is unfortunate and unfair to consumers and us

Although my board support UEFI, but I'm still on Legacy as with this in my case everything is working as should and no issues

Hope this helps and best of luck there

Thanks, Jura

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the link. The mobo does not boot into windows using csm option.

It might be a faulty hdmi connector on the video card , i will keep trying a few things tomorrow and if i cannot fix it i will rma the card again.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No No problems like you are having. I was just getting the thermal Pads and vBIOS update installed that is all. I was just taking your advice to me.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    *** SOLVED *** just when i was about to give up on this problem that i have been trying to solved for the last 4 days , and was close to rma the video card i have solved the black screen signal lost problem today.

* It is an nvidia driver bug *

"symptoms"
    --------------

Display Screen will go black with a signal lost coming from the display , it will last from 3 to 5 seconds and then the signal comes back to the display back to normal. It will happen intermittent more or less every 15 to 30 minutes , sometimes it will happen more frequently at intervals of 3 to 5 minutes. This will happen with normal use while browsing the web , watching youtube , just sitting at the desktop and gaming.

Hardware that might be related and or affected by this black screen problem:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using a Vizio 50'' D50u-D1 UHD 4K 60HZ Smart TV as my display connected with a HDMI cable from my video card eVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming Black Edition ACX 3.0 HDMI 2.0 port to my HDMI 2.0 port on the display.
    ( HDMI connections to 4k 60Hz UHD displays might be affected by this nvidia driver bug )

Software that might be related and affected by this black screen problem:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 Pro x64bit Version 1607 ( OS Build 14393.693
    Nvidia drivers WHQL 378.49

Solution for the Black Screen lost signal display driver bug problem:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bug will happen only at 4k resolution running at any Hz , be it 60Hz , 59Hz , 30Hz etc...( It will not happen at any other resolution ) , using HDMI conection from the GTX 1070 to the display HDMI connection.

If you suffer from this problem try the following temporary fix.
    Steps for the temporary fix until a new driver with a fix is release by nvidia:
    1. Turn Vertical Sync ( Vsync ) OFF
    2. Reboot your PC
    3. Change your resolution from 4K ( 3840x2160 ) 60Hz to 1920x1080 60Hz and reboot your PC
    4. Change your resolution back to 4K ( 3840x2160 ) 60Hz
    5. You are done and the problem it's fix temporarily , it will reappear again if you turn ON Vertical Sync on the nvidia driver control panel and or sometimes if you boot your PC at 4k ( 3840x2160 ) 60Hz , you need to boot at 1920/1080p 60Hz then once windows is loaded change the resolution back to 4K 60Hz.

This nvidia driver whql 378.49 bug i can reproduce it again and again 100% all the time. Bare in mind that this bug might be happening on my hardware configuration only due to the complexity and differences between hardware configurations out there , but may as well be happening to other similar hardware configurations as well , as a temporary fix please follow the temporary fix guide that i wrote.

I have submitted a bug report to nvidia ( NVIDIA Display Driver Feedback ) and will contact Manuel G. Nvidia rep at Guru3D to let him know about this bug.

Thank you everyone that did their best to help me out , appreciate it all the help.

Bugs in action

Please look here happening at the desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtMZNTrQhA&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHFaJbvCwog&feature=youtu.be&t=45s

Please look here happening while gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8SzOIYEVA&feature=youtu.be&t=1m1s

Kind regards: Angelo

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.