Review: Plextor EX1 Portable USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the lightweight yet stupendously fast Plextor EX1 Portable USB SSD. It a very fast portable storage unit based on a USB 3.1 Gen 2 connection offering it a full 10 Gbps connection. Basically ...

Review: Plextor EX1 Portable USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSD

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    But... you didn't open it up!

3. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Will a slow SSD decrease the start time? This is all so confusing...

:)

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Lol
    :eyes:

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Compared to a HDD yes for acces time alone. But I see what you are getting at :) Remember, this unit still does amazing read performance. Even on USB.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I know right, it'l like a Chinese finger-trap, I could not get it open.

7. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    I think he was getting out how you said a faster SSD INCREASES start times, so he was asking if a slower one would have the opposite effect of reducing them, since you don't actually want higher start times.

Basically he did a bad job of trying to say you made a mistake lol

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah, touche .... weeeelll I mean increase in the sense of it being relative to performance, as in an increase in performance. But yes, let me change that writing a bit.

:)

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you can buy pcie or sata to USB 3 adapter case from any China online shop and make your own damn fast usb 3.0+ USB SSD for under 20$...And yes, it will be as fast as your max USB speed is.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Probably going to look a lot like those M.2 kits I'd guess, then again that's pretty much all SSD's really, circuitry with memory modules on them and then some stuff for other bits and pieces. (I'm no expert on how they're built but I guess it's fairly similar other than how they're plugged in, something for the cache, something for the firmware and then something for whatever interface it's using.)

EDIT: Sounds far simpler than HDD's really although manufacturing is probably still a bit complicated and well everything seems to want those memory modules driving prices up while devising techniques for lowering costs and increasing storage. (SLC, MLC, TLC and now QLC or how it was called, drawback being overall "life" of the SSD unit though it's probably still fairly good even if the numbers are drastically lowered on paper.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You might have more luck getting recognizable pieces using a Dremel.:)

12. SV1GAP

SV1GAP Guest

GPU:
    Intel
    Can I use the Plextor EX1 256 GB http://www.goplextor.com/Product/Detail/EX1#/Features with a USB 2.0 port (specifically with the laptop Lenovo G560)?
    I worry about current consumption (500 mA, 900 mA). Is the USB 2.0 port of the laptop Lenovo G560 capable to feed the Plextor EX1 256 GB?
    Page 3, http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/plextor-ex1-portable-usb-3-1-gen-2-ssd-review,3.html "It's average power usage is roughly 1 to 2 Watt that we could measure hence it will not need an external power source.". What about maximum power usage?
    Sometimes manufacturers claim compatibility with USB 2.0 but they don't refer to electrical consumption. Read the comment: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3485523/usb-port-power-usb-external-hdd.html#r20055530
    What about the same question concerning Samsung T5, Adata SE730H?
    PS: I want to have my personal files in an external storage device so as I can easily use them with 2 or 3 different computers.