EK is announcing Modular Liquid Cooling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    EK Water Blocks is announcing the upcoming new lineup of pre-filled products for liquid cooling, the 2nd generation of improved All-In-One products. ...

EK is announcing Modular Liquid Cooling

2. Cbotha15

Cbotha15 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Oh boy! I've been waiting for this for a while now. It sounds very promising. I just hope they change the look of the products. The first gen radiators looked a bit weird with their mat black hoses and ugly grey QDC fittings.

3. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    This sounds cool! But I wonder why they discontinued the XLC series now already if the MLC series isn't available until Q2. Especially considering the fact that the 140/280mm series was only just released. It reached end-of-life after only being on the market for 3 months or so. Maybe there were some issues with the QLC series? I heard EK was pumping out new revision after new revision for the 280mm version.

Edit: it indeed seems there were many complaints about the 280 leaking. I think this is why they discontinued the XLC series, honestly.
    Good PR move, though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Nothing beats the looks of a well planned loop using hard tubing, quick disconnect fittings look hideous. A modular full kit just means MOAR quick disconnect fitting. :puke2:

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hear you, but we're not the target audience for AIO's I guess :D

At least they're trying to bring more people towards water cooling, although I'm not really sure if declining hardware power draw (and heat loss therefor) and a decreased chance of getting better clocks with lower temps (Nvidia's capping) does make it a great move to try and bring in people easier. Would have been really cool five years ago when cards were getting hot and cooling them properly made a big difference.

6. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    True, but I'm not one for side windows for example.
    I just care about great cooling and not the fuss of making it look great. I just want it to work as well as it can with minimal fuss.

At the moment I have a Define R5 (which is essentially a thick black monolith, which I like), with room to spare for some large water cooling radiators.

7. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Same here: I have a Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (a Define R5 clone) with no window.
    Currently my 4790K is cooled by a Kraken X61 AIO and my GPU is air cooled but I want to watercool my GPU too. I almost buy a Predator 360 but I decided to build my first custom loop with silence focused components (big low fpi radiator, low RPM fans).

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well thats stating the obvious, isn't it? Quick disconnect is meant of ease of use.. not everyone has the time, money, will, or desire to sit there with a heat gun bending tube for a week and refilling their loop over and over. That's the whole point of the AIO kits.. they could never possibly look as good as custom loop, so I fail to see what point you're trying to make.

Precisely why I use the Predator 360. I actually don't mind the look of the QDC at all, think it looks nice. Obviously not as nice as hard line tubing, but nothing looks as tidy as that, and QDC is not meant to compete with that whatsoever.

For functionality and ease of setup, the predator & qdc takes best prize all day. Its super easy to run, and for quiet and cool operations, its pretty exemplary.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @EdInk
    you gonna build mine? for free (labor)? no??

EK aio here i come....

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^ This , well said ScoobyDooby !

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My loop is ugly....but it's effective. I considered an EK AIO, but found I could assembly a loop on my own for considerably less money.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And here I was thinking to get me EK-XLC Predator 240.. that 169€ looked ok now:nerd: I wonder what kind of pricing will this MLC have.. would be great if it were the same, but kind of doubt it.

At their page its very mysterious atm :D
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc

when I looked for XLC 240 it already got a status end of life

13. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I've been living with my EK 360 for a year. I would go with them again in a heartbeat. Even if I had to kneel inside my case to install it as I suspect I would. Again.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    QDC's are good for changing a GPU on a custom loop, saves you loads of time draining and refilling the entire loop. That is all there good for.

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    As someone who has a the EK-240 1.1 AIO - I've been very happy with it. No problems and cools my CPU & GPU no issue.

Would certainly use them again - don't trust myself with making my own, ever since I wiped out a 6990 back in the day

16. BroDragon

BroDragon Guest

GPU:
    gtx970sli
    I've been trying to get my hands on a EK-XLC 140mm for since last year and the webpage has had them listed as out of stock. Now EK says they are no longer being sold and that the EK-MLC series will be released sometime in Q2-2017 with no hard release dates provided. EK's marketing people need to understand that people don't appreciate being misinformed about their products availability. Honesty isn't just the best way, it's the only way.

17. drwoodcomb

drwoodcomb Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti 6GB

Where do you live? I'll build a custom loop for you. I enjoy doing it so much I'll do it for free. You pay for the parts of course.

I agree with EdInk, quick disconnects are ugly. Convenient but ugly.

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    They're also good for case options. Many cases are difficult to build out an entire custom loop in if they aren't big enough. You can get similar cooling performance from an AIO as a full loop and fit it in smaller cases. It also takes all the guess work out of ordering the parts to create a loop. Again, ease of use makes it way way better than a custom loop from that perspective. So no, just GPU block is not all they're good for.

I could say the same for many custom loops. Big silly reservoirs, half the case stuffed with tubing and radiators.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all ;)

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No, you cannot. Never. No way. Nada.