ASUS MX38VQ is 37.5-Inch Curved LCD Monitor With Built-In Qi Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Is it just me or is this beginning to feel like an 'arms' race? This is primarily a gaming screen? How much bigger are these things going to get? I am lucky enough to have a dedicated gaming table in my study and a separate desk for laptops etc but looking at my gaming table, would this big boy fit? My Dell U2711 fits nicely, I've defo got room for a 32" but 37.5"?
    And how much? As I've said before, the 4K world is a very expensive one with the forthcoming 1080Ti probably going to be priced between the 1080 & the Titan X.
    And the speakers are of no more interest to me than the speakers on a TV, I have a Creative Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system for gaming, wouldn't a gamer spending the cash on a top graphics card or two and a 4K monitor also want a proper sound system?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I believe it is not a gaming screen, no words on "any"-Sync technology or refresh rate.
    I think it is more a intended for business usage - consider this a replacement for a double-monitor setup.
    I have 2 22-inch displays at workplace, so a single double-wide 37.5 inch display makes some sense (though I hate curved displays).

And a "good" (or at least "not bad") sound is just a bonus.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    All of the monitors with built in speakers are literally waste for me. Wish they had optional models without any speakers. For instance i never use speakers, always headset due to neighbours/ family / e.t.c. Always disturb someone ( however its fine for neighbour kid to shout and run around stomping like an elephant all day long, but DARE i turn on any sort of music ).

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    As i've owned a 34" ultrawide, anything bigger is just stupid for gaming unless you use it as a television.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    And I feel 29 inch is the sweet spot for 21:9.
    34 inch is the awesome spot.
    Plus 3840x1600 is close to 4k.
    Its not easy to push.
    I do 3840x1600@60hz downsampling and it rapes my fury in new games but looks so damn good.

I honeslty just want a 29 or 34 inch 2560x1080 100hz freesync that does not cost $500. I paid $330 for my 29 in in end of 2015. It was $700 for a long time.

7. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I've used a triple screen setup for years. I wouldn't ever go back to a single screen. When I bought it I thought it was too large, I'm now considering moving to 3 x 27"

8. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I think 34-38" is the ideal size for desktop usage. The ideal monitor will be 38" (21:9), 8K res, OLED, high refresh, HDR and frame synced. Why 8K? So you can use it like a CRT (finally) and choose any resolution with great clarity and good interpolation. 4K won't get you there, but 8K will at 38" Ultra wide or smaller.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I had 3 25 inch 21:9 and it blew my 3 x23 16:9 away but took so much power to run it. 7680x1080 resolution. Puls it took up alot of space to have 3 ultrawides.

I dont miss my triple screens that much even with a single 29 21:9.
    I still enable my side monitors sometimes for racing games. I have 2 5:4 17 inch monitors. Mixed mode eyefinity works quite well with such a weird setup.

10. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Thats one ugly screen lol.

11. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Personally I'm hoping for a 40" 4k G-sync monitor. I picked up a cheap 40" 4k TV during the holiday and it is amazing!

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Right? I keep reading about these new displays that tout speakers and I just shake my head. Don't these companies realize that anyone who's gonna drop 1.5K+ on a display is likely to already have a superior sound setup than anything the display could provide? Even if they put in nicer quality they will still pale in comparison. Just stupid additions like this that push the cost up higher.

I have to agree here. Using the X34 now is as large as I would go before just using a TV. It fills up my peripheral vision well enough and is superbly immersive. A TV is too big in some instances, especially sitting at a desk.

Regarding the specs of this display > 14ms response time... ouch.

No g-sync / freesync, slow response, unnecessary speakers.. clearly not meant for gaming and more for a design professional, but still seems like a poorly thought out display.

13. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Yep, 14ms response, that is no gaming screen. But hot damn, the size would be perfect. A 34" 21:9 would have slightly less vertical height than my current 27" 16:9. 37" though, perfect.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    14ms nope thank you.

Also, I could never go back to 60Hz monitor for gaming. Either 120Hz or higher (preferably 144Hz and yes I can 100% tell the difference between the two).

I game on two different screens, a 1440p Gsync 144Hz monitor and a 32" Sony LED TV 60Hz.

The 60Hz is painfully noticeable, to the point where vsync is not even smooth enough anymore and no vsync on a 60Hz TV is just horrendous the screen tearing is unbearable.

15. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    ^ this!

I would sell one of my kidney's for a 40" 4K high-refresh-rate free or G-sync display. the only thing stopping it is either lack of demand or cost for the larger physical size of screen. Asus are dropping a 144hz G-Sync 4k panel soon so lets see where this takes us :)

16. MrAMD

MrAMD Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080
    I will agree 100%. I have used triple screen for a while but my were 24"ers. Work became involved and had to down size to a single 27" Asus MG279Q but I really miss the triple setup. IMHO, I don't like ultrawides. They seem odd for me. Once work travels settle down a bit more i will go back to triples. Just not in the cards for me right now. I like ArgonV's setup. Its epic!!!

17. putterman

putterman Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 580 3 way sli
    No g sync? If it comes with g sync I'm buying.

18. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    And how much do you think this uber-monitor will cost? And maybe SLI 1080 Ti's will drive a 4K screen properly but as per my 1st post, gaming at this level is becoming a possibility for the rich few.
    For my next upgrade I'm facing a minimum of £1,500 for two factory oc/custom cooled 1080 Ti's + approx £1,000 for a 4K gaming screen with G-Synch. That's on top of a Scan 3XS system in a Corsair 650D already full of high spec components! I am not capable of building my own gaming rig........

19. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090