Windows 10 to get a Game Mode for Improved Performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So you disable a zero overhead warrant (the pop-up is executed before any application to initialize, so it has no application overhead) and you prefer a payed bloatware slowing down your entire system during the entire execution of your machine usage? This is why such crapsoftware are still sold in malls..

And since I understand you do not have studied at a decent level how an Operating System works, no dude, you do not know what you are doing. 99.9% of people do not know what they are doing, even they think the opposite.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    UAC is still useless and here for clueless people.

I use nod because I like its firewall (it has a gamemode since forever), don't really care about Spybot and Malwarbytes, just have them installed and in passive mode - off (not affecting anything).

EDIT:
    and its still ON
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Because its effin annoying, I know what I am doing with my PC, and I don't need windows to tell me I am doing something.

Its off on every PC, and my gf has only general pc skills and hasn't messed her PC up in 3 years.

Some just do not really like it.

I really do wonder what this will do. Make windows more low level API or more direct to hardware like consoles?

Don't know how much more it can benefit even my rig. While not top end, its no slouch either.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's an acronym.

Utterly Absolute Crap

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never have and never will use any sort of anti virus software, and since UAC doesn't annoy me it's stupid to disable it.

As previously mentioned, hopefully we get some details of what this actually does as since manual tweaking a PC does nothing for gaining performance in games and probably causes issues, i would be interested to see what this will do differently.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It's funny users playing the PRO. Any wannabe poweruser has at least 1 kind of virus/malware rotting his system. See that as an advice.

7. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Sounds like you have no clue what UAC*is and what it actually does.

8. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Agreed.*Its*funny how people who "know what they are doing" turn it off because its so intrusive. Well*if*that thing pops*up all the time you are doing something*that you shouldn't, or something else is doing something that it shouldn't. Or you are using applications whose devs run their application with admin rights for no reason.

The same system is in place in Linux too (from where MS got the idea in the first place). But instead of clicking ok you give admin password. That should give you quite*clear message why its not useless.

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The problem here is that is too easy to attach stuff to install malware without proper protections. I would prefer asking for a password rather than the popup.

i guess game mode is just a confirmation that background unwanted and unneeded processes reached saturation levels also for microsoft people.

I still dream of an SO that manage my memory, give me a good file system and let me launch my executables with directx.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My dislike came from the days of Norton AntiRam, and while things improved i ended up realising they were not necessary.

That's if it actually improves performance on anything than very old hardware, im still not convinced it will do anything differently to third party versions that don't do a thing.
    Would love to wrong though.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    it doesnt but i still dont want it. Install new ccleaner version;oh noes are you sure u want to install, install new driver oh noes bla bla :D, install another new updated program same stuff and lags the system in that time.

if u like it fine, but it is stupid non the less and no it wont make your sys more risky, if you install shoddy sw then thats your problem, might as well disconnect from internet, you never know. ;p

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The amount of people being ok without knowing if something is running with admin rights (or at all), is a mark for me that Microsoft was completely correct with forcing security updates. I actually hope that there is no way to close UAC in the future.

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't think UAC will stop people from allowing program to execute anyway.

[​IMG]

You either know what you doing or don't. M$ can force their updates all they want, but it won't help much. God knows how many vulnerabilities there are, and how many M$ purely ignores.

Idiots will get baited and get viruses. Installing security updates is more like feeling better inside. Same feeling shiny UI anti-viruses giving you - "You are protected".
    You wanna be protected? Bout time to ditch Windows and learn some FreeBSD. There no protection on Windows. If somebody want your ****, they will get it.

EDIT: While I am bashing security updates, I do run windows update once in a while for my system (once or twice a year). I am not expecting it to "protect" me, but give a bit of more chance of survival if I do something horribly wrong.

14. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    PRMinisterGR is correct there is more now going on under the hood then MS is telling us in the insider builds with WDDM and UWP and Windows APP. I posted some of the things that start 3 builds ago and have continued to "deteriorate" over in the AMD driver 16.12.2 discussion thread.

Being an Insider and also using the latest drivers has it own peculiar fun as you have to figure out what is causing the issues. This time though with the release of the Relive drivers and the under the hood changes going on has made it a bit more tricky.

The biggest issue with graphics and the latest Insider builds is doing certain actions in windows 10 15502 and 15007 is you will get non fatal system freezes.

These freezes happen mainly when opening or closing certain windows apps. The easiest to see it happen is open the Display settings App and close it. Your entire system will freeze up for a couple of seconds and then unfreeze.

My understanding, and I can't remember the official blog or what not but the Windows 10 Creator's Edition will move to WDDM 2.2. If this is the case these display issues remind me back in the beginning of Windows 10 Insider of the display issues we went through as the WDDM was "re written".

15. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    On the matter of UAC it works and is a good thing for the VAST majority of Windows users.

With that said I personal find it an annoyance, but I have to keep it enabled to actually test things in insider builds correctly. Otherwise I would disable it.

What I think they (MS) should do is implement a white list we can as the end user can add programs to after we install then to avoid the pop up when the program starts.

This would solve the problem of people just out and out disabling UAC as well as maintain it for it true purpose of protecting the masses that really do not understand security.

Yes I know UAC will not actually prevent harmful things from happening but it makes the average user think.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Even if you know what you do, there are still attack vectors that can only be detected with UAC. Closing it is almost like running Linux as a root user.

17. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    From the Game Mode we ended up talking about UAC and how annoying it is or not.
    I'm curious to see how this Game Mode will work. I don't expect anything drastic though. I suppose it will be useful for cluttered and old PCs. Over the next weeks we will learn more about it as it will start working on the next Insider Previews. Let's see if MS can finally put something useful for gaming in Windows.

18. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    Do you enjoy potentially having your PC being used as a botnet? I bet you also delay the security updates

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    As in opening the settings and turning down the slider to the bottom to "Never Notify". Everything works as expected, UAC does not default to blocking anything using this setting.

20. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Yeah, and even worse introducing additional attack vectors by using "optimization" and "security" software.