Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by ElementalDragon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    If you take in account the weak hardware then buying a game, a controller and a SD card to add some disk space like anxious_f0x said, then it´s a very weak deal, specially when you can buy a much more powerfull console like the Xbox or PS4 bundled with one or more games...

Personally i´m very disappointed with Switch in almost all the aspects with the exception of their 1st party games, like Mario and Zelda, as always...

But if Nintendo releases a SNES mini, then my disappointment is gonna be smaller...

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well... cost of the system is all down to personal perspective. You talk about buying a controller (which i know is expensive as hell). I personally don't see a need for one... especially not right away. To me, the $299 for the system, and the $99 i spent on the Breath of the Wilds Special Edition... MORE than worth the money. Why? Because i KNEW it wasn't going to be a top spec powerhouse to compete with the likes of the PS4 and Xbox One. I also know just how much enjoyment i get out of games that come out for Nintendo systems.

The biggest thing that pisses me off are the people who pre-order stuff, and then immediately post their pre-order on eBay to try to turn a quick profit. Really wish people would realize how stupid this idea is and stop buying stuff from these people. If anything, i think THIS is a big contributor to the reason why we always see availability shortages. They don't want them. They just buy as many as they can to try to sell them for double their MSRP or higher to make a quick buck. Granted, i can't imagine Mid-January being a big time for people to be willing to put out the extra buck to get that absolutely-need-to-have item... but still. Put these stupid people in their place. Make them sit on their purchase and not make anything from it.

Why do i say this? Because back when the NES Classic came out, i was in line at my local WalMart hoping to get one (which i didn't). My store only had like 7-10 units on hand. One person that was like third or fourth in line actually had the balls to ask the employee "Can we buy more than one?" Yea... cause we don't know what that's for.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I assume that Nintendo had big ideas about bringing gamecubes games onto the U via the store, but when they system failed to sell all that went out the window, because the games ran almost perfectly when the U was softmodded.

4. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5aIvr9hcD0

https://www.youtube.com/user/IGNentertainment/videos

SF game is actually Ultra Street Fighter 2.

Zelda BOTW: 720p handheld, 900p docked
    Mario Kart 8 deluxe: 720p handheld, 1080p docked

Mario Kart looks badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfphI2jxD_A

Wow, Redout is coming to Switch, nice.

Wish Sonic Mania was Sonic Generations 2.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Am I the only one who looks at RedOut and thinks "why not just call it what everyone ends you to call it? F-Zero!"

And someone on a news site commented that they hope Breath of the Wild lets you tame Epona at some point, because it wouldn't be a true Zelda game without her. Don't really see the logic in that one, considering Epona was only in what.... 2 previous games? OoT and Twilight Princess? Unless I've forgotten. Don't remember her being in Majora or Skyward.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    It has more in common with Wipeout though, Same kind of annoucer voices , 11 players on track, same track design , it even has ships with the same name like feisar.

I didnt really like this game tbh. The ships were too big compared to the tracksize, it felt sort of floaty like there was no gravity at all , and no quicksteering to go fast through the corners.
    It just seems it is really hard to make a game like this, only one i can remember being good enough besides f-zero or wipeout is starwars racer

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I hope you enjoy you Switch, really, but the system is not appealing to me at least for now. Maybe that will change after i try it in the future or they show something different.

As for scalpers, they only exist because there are people stupid enough to buy something above their normal price so they can have it sooner...

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Supply and demand. People will pay over the odds for all the latest must have tech. Can't really blame people for taking advange of that.

10. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Get rid of that dock and reduce price by 33% and I am sold. I just want to play a Zelda game :(
    200 money without dock sounds very reasonable to me.

They selling dock for about 90-100 money separately, so why can't one buy a console without a dock.

This also sounds strange, since Asia has a huge market for handhelds, but not for home consoles. They are trying to target both markets.

And I don't want to talk about an internal space, 32GB, what were they thinking?!? My 2 year old phone has more internal storage than a new gaming console... Hmmm... The new Zelda reportedly weights 13GB in total. So, what's left, 1 or 2 games more? So what, you say, you can expand with SD card. SD card excuse is the most terrible excuse there is. High speed SD cards with more than 128GB space costs between 100-200 money. SD cards have terrible read and write speeds in comparison to even low end HDD's. Also SD cards failure rate is the highest of all current storage, you want it or not but after certain amount of write and read actions you will gonna start to get data corruptions. Do I really will be inclined to carry with me a bunch of cartridges? I am not that nostalgic and it's not 90's anymore.

Oh... I get it, or they will re-release updated console versions for holidays, so we would be inclined to buy a second console.

So, that is my 2 concerns, that damn dock and poor storage choice.

Also, why there are no children in switch ads?

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Because children prefer Minecraft to Mario and zelda. :)

12. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Biggest mascots in my house that my kids have toys for are all Nintendo characters, except for Sonic. However, I don't own any Nintendo consoles. Go figure.

As for Redout, I really like it. You've got to get the hang of using both analogue sticks to fully control the ships. The turbo is very similar to N64 F-zero, except, it doesn't run out so you can boost none-stop. I find the game quite involving tbh for a racing game.

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Other than just having the hardware for the sake of having it, I don't see anything worthwhile at launch to make me want to venture into a line at midnight or overpay on craigslist.

Zelda is the only game I'm interested in and as a Wii U owner, it sounds much easier to just buy the wii u version of the game and be done with it.

I don't see anything on switch worthwhile until the Holidays. But, just like Playstation 2...people just gotta have the hardware, even if the software is a year behind it. Lol.

Maybe that idiot on here who bought a Wii U and created a topic, later selling it and bashing the system (after bashing anyone who bashed the system while he owned it) can buy and later sell the first switch too. "Wii U is sweet!" and now "Switch is sweet!"

Now, graphics aside, will they bother to make games for IPs that are loved but lost? Punch-out, Icarus, Metroid, or are we just going to get our 19th Mario game followed by the 14th Mario Kart and the 8th Animal Crossing?

Looks like the latter so far.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Wouldn't Arms just be a spiritual successor for punch out?

And there was a kid icarus 3ds game recently. Metroid nose dived into the concrete with federation force so I can't see them bringing that back.

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Makes a refreshing change to seeing COD and BF games all the time. The release of the console could give a much needed refresh which is desperately needed.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It's not fair to judge a series on what was an obvious after-thought, like federation force.

Punch-out. I don't want a spiritual successor. I want Punch-Out. The same way I want F-Zero, not some half-assed 3rd party game like Redo. That's the point of each console right? Their 1st party strengths? I'm sick of Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, rinse, repeat.

17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Honestly, this is why my Wii U is still plugged in. The library is old and stale at this point, but the game play is not. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic. I just hate the thought of MK8 "Deluxe". Seems like a cheap tactic ms or sony would do, not Nintendo. But then, maybe they feel not enough people played the exceptional game on wii u and want it to get it's just recognition.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Reggie has already hinted at a new metroid game.

They need it, either make a new Metroid Prime to really push the system or what people really want is a sequel to Super Metroid. Really push the 2D side scrolling art style with this console they could seriously push for something really spectacular in this regard.

They also need an F-Zero even just porting over F-Zero GX from the Gamecube and upgrading it to 900p/1080p 60fps and apply an online mode, and done. It will be a massive game.

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    The series was great until other M. I tried federation force, it was garbage, and by nose dive I mean in terms of sales and reviews, all they need to do is look at that and say "welp people don't like metroid anymore".

As for good 2d metroid games CPC, check out AM2R, it's really really good, better than anything nintendo have done recently.

20. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You can get Punch Out! for your Wii U.