Dell cancels 4K UP3017Q OLED monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A bit unexpected Dell canceled the 4K OLED monitor they had announced. The Dell UP3017Q Ultrasharp 30-inch does not meet expectations especially in terms of unresolvable image quality problems. Dell...

Dell cancels 4K UP3017Q OLED monitor

2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Oh, isn't it obvious?
    An unresolvable "5000" issue.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    OLED is a nice technology but very expensive on normal screen, and with time goes with technical issue on large surface.

on TV set some company have already given up (also there is new pro. screen technology that have become less expensive)...

i don't worry about DELL they will release another monitor...

4. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Burn-in problem maybe?

5. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Most likely. Burn in is the #1 problem with OLED technology, especially for PC monitor where you'll get static images appearing for hours on end.

6. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    If I can remember correctly, it has to do with the lifetime of the Blue lights; they do not last as long as the Red and Green lights.

7. silapakorn

silapakorn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 SC 4GB
    This doesn't show a good prospect on their upcoming 8K model.

Some time in 2018: "Dell cancels 8K monitor as researches show that human eyes can't see past 5K resolution."

8. There was no "burn-in" in modern plasmas and there is no "burn-in" in OLED. All you could/can experience is temporary image retention after many hours of static image being displayed. All gets fixed after watching a movie for example or in case of modern OLEDs, leaving it off over night, electronics fixes it.

That is not the case here. This monitor was supposed to use LG OLED panel. LG is using their own WOLED (White OLED). There are no blue, red or green OLEDs, just one type, white. This makes the electronics and the whole panel much easier to manufacture and maintain.

Blue OLEDs are only problem in RGB OLEDs like Samsung's AMOLEDs. They are using RGB OLEDs and that is why they use pentile matrix with doubled area for blue OLEDs. With pentile matrix, the lifetime of blue LEDs is actually quite good -> more area -> lower voltage -> higher lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  9. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Are you joking or are you robotic spokesperson for one of companies making OLED displays? Because what you are saying is the opposite of truth. OLEDs do suffer from burn in. All Samsung phones with OLED displays suffer from burn in, all LG OLED tvs suffer from burn in. As someone who saw a lot of used Samsung OLED phones I can say that 90%+ of OLED phones used for a while show various degrees of burn in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    This seems like an expo piece used for showcasing at max brightness displaying same image for days. OLEDs suffer from burn in only under heavy stress displaying same image at max brightness for months. Sometimes you get a low quality panel and this happens. Most Samsung phones solved this issue years now. There no such issues anymore. Even Apple will adopt OLED pretty soon. We have to remember though that these are phones and not TVs. Phones spend most of their time turned off. I do not agree with your statement though cause it's not realistic. This does not happen to everyone. If it was that widespread nobody would buy Samsung phones and Samsung would have a screen-gate on their feet. This is not how things are. I have OLED phones for years now and never saw an issue. And yes I tried with full screen app which let you see such issues. As for the Dell monitor maybe they had financial and production issues.

11. I have Samsung Galaxy S1, S2, S4 and S5 here. Non of them has even slightest trace of burn-in.

Those photos were taken right after displaying static image on maximum brightness for many hours -> temporal image retention, not burn-in. It's so funny how all those loud complains against OLEDs are coming from ppl who never owned a single OLED device :)

ps. I also own almost 8 years old Panasonic Viera (plasma) and guess what, no burn-in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is definitely burn-in in OLED. It may happen under rare circumstances, but saying it doesn't occur is wrong. My Samsung Galaxy Nexus had the OSD buttons burned in after a year and a half and as Glottiz just linked pictures to, you can basically visit any verizon/tmobile/etc store and like half the Galaxy phones on display have burn-in.

A computer screen is going to be even worse for some people. With my phone my screen is either on, being used and different images displayed or it's off in my pocket. My computer screen can sit for hours on the same image. And while there are technologies to mitigate this and the issue definitely has been improved in the latest generation OLED tech, until it's marked "Solved" by Samsung/LG/Whomever I'll probably be avoiding OLED for a monitor.

All that being said, OLED definitely is the future. The LG OLED TV's literally look like a window into another world and my N6P/Pixel XL both have excellent OLED displays. I just wouldn't want to shell out $5K on a monitor for it to burn in after two years. That would be annoying.

13. It doesn't. If you have some retention, use either cleaning video or play a game on it, watch video etc. until it fades away.

And if you want to exchange pictures, this is my GS4 after 3 years of beating including app development with "always on". Not some random google image taken under unknown circumstances, just real phone sitting right here:

[​IMG]

14. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    False. My Samsung phone has status bar and other UI elements permanently burned in and I don't even use my phone all that much, I hardly ever text and I always use ~50% brightness.

It is wide spread, it's just big majority of people have absolutely zero attention to detail and they couldn't care less. Just like people don't care that Oneplus 3 has one of the least color accurate displays, but as long as OLED has ridiculously oversaturated colors people go "WOW LOOKS SO GOOD" and buy it.

One thing's for sure, my next phone will not be OLED, I'm tired of having to be paranoid about burn in.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't even understand how you can say it doesn't when there are literally thousands of examples of it occurring. Yes to some degree you can lessen it by playing other content over it because you're simply depleting the life on the other pixels to the same degree. But there definitely exists cases where it's not going to be removed in any reasonable timeframe of playing videos or even utilizing tools that are meant to remove it. My Galaxy Nexus is one of the examples - I used it nearly a year after I noticed the burn-in and it simply got worse. I watched videos, played games, rotated the screen for maps, etc - but there, for the rest of the phones existence was the stupid android OSD symbols permanently scared onto the phone.

Since then I've owned the S4, Note 4, Nexus 6P, and now Pixel XL and I've had zero issues - but I've definitely been in stores and have seen demo units where the screen looks like complete ****. I've also seen reports from tech journalists, even from reputable sites like Anandtech that talk about burn-in issues and the methods these companies use to mitigate it.

Hell these companies purposely calibrate the phones so that the white point adjusts more towards normal as it's being used - which is literally because the pixels are being worn out, which is the mechanism for burn-in occurring.. a specific set of pixels get worn out more than the others. Yes you can alleviate it by wearing all the other pixels out to the same degree.. but when you have static images for hours upon hours at high brightness levels (more common on a desktop monitor) there are going to exist cases where simply running a video over isn't going to wipe away the damage done to the pixels.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I see complaints of burn in on Samsung phones on XDA constantly, these are not display/demo models either

17. You are mixing 2 things together again. Burn-in has nothing to do with whitepoint of the panel. If there is some whitepoint shift towards yellow in Samsung's AMOLEDs, it's because of incorrect electronics calibration for their blue OLEDs. This issue is mostly visible in GS2 because it doesn't have pentile matrix in combination with not-tested-enough electronics.

Also this whitepoint shift won't happen on LGs WOLED, because there is just one OLED color. This is one of the reasons for simple and easier to maintain electronics I mentioned.

In general, ppl should stop using "burn-in" buzzword for everything related to OLED. Burn-in is just permanent, unrepairable image stuck on screen. 99.9% of images you see on internet are just image retention due to bad usage.

18. Osorio

Osorio Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 970
    My S5 has some burn in on the status bar area. It's not the most noticeable thing but it's there. All my OLED screen phones have had some degree of burn in or another. It's not always the most noticeable thing but it's definitely there.

That being said, I know not everyone has this problem. Still, completely dismissing the idea that such a thing is possible is kinda crazy to me.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The whitepoint shifts because the pixels are decaying. Burn-in occurs because a set of pixels (the burned in image) are decayed way beyond the others at a faster rate. The decaying of pixels is the mechanism responsible for both the white-point shift and burn-in.

My definition of burn-in is image retention that isn't going away after playing a video or two across the screen. I know what image retention is, I understand that sometimes you can make that go away. But try going into a Verizon store, find a screen that looks like what BlueRay posted - get that to come off. It will take you weeks of playing random crap on the screen to get rid of that. I know because I tried it on my Galaxy Nexus. I know because there are literally hundreds of reports of it, with people commenting the same as you "just play a few videos and it will go away" and the people with the actual phone responding "no it doesn't go away". Like if you're saying that all these people, including my own experience is a lie, then I guess I'm going to stop responding because I don't know what else to tell you.

And yeah, if I'm paying $5K for a monitor, or even 1K+.. I don't even want the slightest potential of that occurring. It was annoying when it was just 3 small icons on my Galaxy Nexus.. but if it's like my taskbar on my $1000 monitor.. yeah. So unless Samsung/LG comes out and says "solved" I personally won't be owning an OLED Monitor.

TV/Phone completely different story. I don't often display static content on either for it to ever be an issue. But I have a 3 monitor setup and some of those monitors are on for 6-8 hours a day and parts of the image literally never changes. Current gen OLED would not hold up with that well at all.

20. Whitepoint shifts because electronics is not correctly calibrated for blue OLEDs, which have different lifespan from R or G. It's not the same thing because "decaying" or let's say wear is normal and natural thing for all things, not just OLEDs. Even LEDs, which you probably have in your LCD, are wearing off every second you use them. If the electronics in your LCD wasn't properly calibrated, you would see worse screen homogenity over time(which sometimes happen).

See, that is the problem. People in general using burn-in incorrectly. Burn-in only happens when the difference in pixels is so enormous that electronics can't cope with it. I have a special noise video which I was using on my plasma when it was new to keep it clean. I often buy cheap phones with screen retention coz I need a lot of devices for development. After a day or 2 with this noise video running, screen is as good as new.

Sure, image retention is not something anyone would want. And to be honest, it will always be here to some extent. Wear of ANY light emitting device is just natural thing. You can only reduce it, but you can never eliminate it. But as I said, modern LGs have electronics which can clean your screen during night when turned off. Like automated cleanup, which is something I could live with.