You can still update to Windows 10 for free with Media Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Your old os must be able to work because W10 allows you to roll-back to previous os if it's an upgrade install (although, I haven't tested this).

However, regarding Nvidia driver bugs, that's gpu/system dependent. Had I tried to install w10 on my optimus laptop even just 2-3months ago, I would've had problems getting gpu to work properly for what I wanted to test.

If I'd done it this time last year, then, for the last 10months or so, it wouldn't have worked properly for gaming and forget DX12 like FH3. 2015 was a no go for almost all optimus owners as well, many bugs os+drivers. This issue has only been solved relatively recently. There are still issues so I wouldn't say it's fully fixed either.

2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I think the point he was trying to make is that buying the OEM key from Kinguin is essentially paying for illegal/pirated version.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Have been using 10 on my daily driver and work laptop for about a year now. Been totally solid, no problems whatsoever. The only issue was me messing with themes and fonts and icon hacking and screwing up permissions on my drive, but that's my fault.

The os itself is great!

4. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I have Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and everything support out box no driver needed
    as rule you should always go to chipset manufacturer for driver are every some chipset manufacturer are very lazy and don't update them it common problem with NIC manufacturer like Broadcom and Audio manufacturer like C-Media

5. nattefrost

nattefrost Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660
    so if I have win 7 pro this will upgrade me to win10 pro? also will I be able to roll back in case i hate 10?

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yes. You'll have 30 days to play around with it. After that, your key becomes tied to windows 10 and will not be able to rollback.

7. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    If you don't want to use the Media Creator to download the ISO, it's apparently still available here (and not so easy to find now):

oh, with only three posts I can't show you a link... too bad.

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    All day Its been stuck at 99-Installing windows 10 99% wont buge.i will just leave it on overnight I dont care,See what happens in the morining.

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Not true. I bought a Windows 7 Home Premium key from them. It was an OEM key and didn't activate right away. I used the automated phone activation and it worked perfectly. It is not piracy in any way.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Which is wrong. The keys are legitimate unused OEM keys. They may be for a different brand of computer than what you have and in that case, you have to use the automated phone activation and tell it you will only use the key on one machine. Then the system gives you a long series of numbers to punch in and after you do, you're good to go.

11. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't know how fast they update their downloads. At the moment they have the Windows 10, released on 2nd August 2016. Has been a usefull site in the past to get Windows ISO downloads. 7, 8 and 10 in any language they serve now. Own keys needed offcourse.

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-is...nniversary-update-1607-iso-download-standard/

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Your complaint is related to poor drivers from Nvidia, not a result of Windows 10.

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    You still don't get it. The OEM key works, yes, but you are using it illegally. Same as if you would steal key from university or company, key would work but you would be using it illegally.

14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Well its offical I cant get it on my system for some reason! Can I call Ms and do the phone thing? I tried both links Hilbert provided and both stop at 99% its been installing all night and same thing!

I even tried some tweaking in task manager, I have a feeling its my chipset,It worked fine with my intel system wtf.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Was it a clean install?

I use Rufus to create bootable USB stick with ISO from here

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

Boot from USB > Delete all partitions on main drive > create new primary partition allowing windows to create it's system/recovery partitions > format main partition > install

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    No chief it was not clean install, I did not use a usb just download.... Heres what happend.1st I put a Windows 7 Pro key was not getting updates so I switched to SP1 and its still same thing!

I need to go pick-up a flash-drive,Yup dont have one. Lol.Thanks Extraordinary I will try what you said.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea clean installs are generally the least problematic

Install 10 without a key, once you hit the desktop goto the activation settings screen and enter your Windows 7 key to activate

Might work by entering the key during install too, but I always wait until I hit the desktop first

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's complete BS.

You do realise there's also OEM hardware, right? Tell me, if I bought this, would I be using it illegally? lmao

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-582-in.html

You should treat OEM as the no-frills version.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Thanks for reminding to update my MCT USB drive.

3.26GB, not as large as I remember it being last time.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070