You can still update to Windows 10 for free with Media Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Who would want to?
    btw windows 10 game mode will be like windows 7?

3. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    1) At least those, who didn't upgrade during the "initial" window for whatever reason. Personally I am considering to upgrade.
    2) No.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's a free upgrade, it'll save you money.

At one point you do want to match up your PC games with the latest DirectX I assume. Honestly I upgraded my systems last year immediately and never looked back. Have not had any issues on any of the PCs and the OS is easy enough to work work with. Personally I like the OS and that is coming from an Windows 8.x hater.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Nah, it's probably just an option to stop updating windows10 when you gaming and disable printer service for a good measure.

6. lanelor

lanelor Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Stryx
    Windows 10 has still to fix the DPI scaling that results in massive blur when zooming to 125% and above. Fix that and it is good to go.

7. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    Oh, FYI, upon even LAUNCHING the tool, it automatically installs the "Microsoft Windows Diagnostics Tracking Runner" or re-enables it if disabled and updates its components to make it harder to disable.

Just a heads-up.

The amount MS is charging really is just a placeholder amount, since they'll be waiving that at some point and make it free.

I just wish they'd at least release a LTSB Windows 10 Edition for Consumers (been playing with that edition on a pc at work, it really IS the ideal edition of Windows 10) I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

8. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    I wouldn't compare the prices to over 100$.
    Bought multiple Win10 Pro 20-25$ OEM keys - which the upgrade basically is.

9. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Where can I buy w1o oem for $20??? I tried using the links Hibert provided but for some reason I am stuck at Windows 10 Setup screen saying Getting updates its been a couple hours now, What do I do??? Thanks guys.

This worked peerfectly on my intel system but now running Amd and for some reason its giving me a hard time, could it be the chipset being as old as it is???

10. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    Kinguin.net - Win10Pro OEM key is 26€ right now (untick the protection, that adds 5€).

11. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    I wouldn't advise for this. From legal perspective it's the same as having pirated version. To use OEM license legally you need to have (and keep) invoice that proves the key came with new PC. Losing the invoice equals to losing the legal license to use the software.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Who's going to check?

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thanks guys I had no idea I can find them on ebay,Much much thanks!!!

I will pick one up for this Pc as I am not able to use the Media creation tool for some reason on this rig. It starts fine but once I get to checking for updates it just stays there 4-ever. You guys rock for knowing your stuff-Respect.:)

14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    lol. Making billions of dollars we are pretty small fish to them. Hell the $100+ dollars I save can go towards a new Cpu I need so badly.

15. Raa

Raa Member

GPU:
    Just
    Have tried this several times since the free upgrade offer ended, and have not had any success getting MCT copies to activate.

I have to use the Assistive Tech method for it to work.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They're only bothered about people costing them significant amounts of money, would cost them more going after people using $20 keys / pirated Windows, than the genuine license would make them in profit

17. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    I'm not arguing with that. But when someone buys the license key, they might think they legally own the software. I'm just stating how it really is - legally it's the same as pirating it.

18. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Yes that true Hilbert but there one major downside once you do that you can't install on any other system you better off just buying a retail copy of Windows 10, I personal think MS better off just selling Windows 10 at low cost $25 to $35 no more then that or just make it 100% free to home user and sell the Pro $30 to $50 and should put*end to pirated version.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, at some point everybody will have to upgrade their OS, i waited a year to install W10 but i did grab a free copy and activate it during the free give away of the OS simply so i would not be in this position of possibly having to shell out cash for it once the free upgrade offer was gone. ;)

20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Depends on your country of residence. By EU law, buying OEM versions as standalone is legit. You can also take your OEM license (or retail for that matter) from a different PC with you to your new PC in the EU. As long as you purchased it alone or with a system, you're good to go.
    In countries like the US, you're out of luck.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017