I don't know how to overclock my graphics card. Voltage doesnt show

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Pewe1337, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Pewe1337

Pewe1337 Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 @1070
    So I got an Radeon 7970 GPU, and when I try to use either MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixxx I cant see any voltage coming up.

I saw this posted somewhere, but how am I supposed to overclock when I dont know what kind of voltage I got when I cant check it? Please help
    "Most HD7970's get to roughly 1250/1700.
    Stay below 1.25V and 85C."

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You need to check unlock voltage monitoring/control to actually see voltages in AB.

As for overclocking there is no way you can reach 1250mhz on the 7970. As you can see im maxed out at 1165mhz. I can go little higher but cards artifacting in some games/benchmarks.

For Tahiti cards i always recommended Vbe7 and flashing your desired clocks/voltages.

3. Pewe1337

Pewe1337 Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 @1070
  4. Pewe1337

Pewe1337 Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 @1070
    Could you care to explain what you said a bit more simple? Didn't understand your first sentence. Lots of people have achieved over 1200mhz on a 7970 as far as I know. And you said something about tahiti cards, with vbe7 and flashing voltages. No idea what this is.
    Btw I also have a 550W PSU 80+ bronze... would it hold for an overclocked 7970?

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah maybe you should find some overclocking guides out there and read them throughly to get an understand of what you are doing first. Going in with minimal knowledge of overclocking and playing with voltages and the vBIOS could spell disaster.

6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

Please your Motherboard Model No. ???

Do note that if ever you overclock your card you "wont" take a LEAP AHEAD in contrast to the requirements to play Next Gen Games or upcoming games at Ultra settings...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It helps. Going from stock 925mhz to 1165mhz yields some very nice performance increase on a Tahiti.

Recently i broke 10k graphics score in firestrike.

Anyway op, i dont overclock via AB. I just flashed updated bios with custom clocks/voltages. Vbe7 is a miracle tool for this cards.

I would say look into it : https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-series-cards.189089/

Also, 7970 is a power hungry card. 250W TDP+20% in my case, its nuts lol.

8. Pewe1337

Pewe1337 Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 @1070
    Well I just figured out... I think I know how to overclock now. Just look at the normal overclock people have on same card, go like 50-80 mhz under that and start jumping with like 15 mhz at the time. Then do benchmark, repeat until screen is getting messed up. THEN I apply core voltage if I want at the expense of more heat and can get more overclock if I wish.

Too bad I have XFX 550W power supply... I'm crying inside. Can I overclock just a little bit, or is it pointless when it will barely improve anything. If I would buy a new power supply that I want to last "forever" what should I go with. I recently learned that newer gpus use way less power. Thanks.

9. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Everyone has there own opinions on this....In my experience it mostly just boost 3dmark scores and makes us feel better lol.....but game experience in a blind test will be exactly the same....overclocking a 7970 will not make it play like a 290 or a 480....you might be able to up "One" setting in the video settings at most from overclocking gpu's....people that say otherwise are usually full of it.:wanker:

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The main idea is to improve your minimum frames.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why do you think overclocking is there for? Just for gimmick? Both nvidia and AMD benefit from it. You seem clueless and thats a shame.

12. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    clueless about what? overclocking gpus most times makes about 3-5 fps difference from stock clocks....sure SOME rare cases about 10fps. Tell me all about how overclocking your gpu made mankind divided some much more enjoyable? Im sure certain games have better results but i be willing to bet most people dont even know when there 7970's get stuck at 850mhz lol:)

13. Last I tried, voltage in Trixx and 7970 were broken in the latest version and Crimson.

Still, old version does work with Crimson, which is what I use. Also, use GPUz to be certain it takes. ..I never could get AB to work or take voltage settings, even with it enabled etc etc.

Sapphire TRIXX_4.4.0b-MOD-N
    https://mega.nz/#!I9QyRCyQ!JtJRefi05tsgjQwURiLuiXWIuhVl8K5Gu_enFEKF2lo

[​IMG]

I wouldn't bank on 1250/1700 though.

14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    No I disagree, some cards you can get quite a decent amount of fps out of them. I'd say it's usually a % gain rather than a flat fps gain. Take for example you're playing a game and you only just manage to get 60fps, but you find it's dipping below, a decent overclock can gain about 10% added performance, that's an extra 6fps or otherwise, constant 60fps.

One thing is definite though with overclocking GCN, overclock the memory to it's maximum potential - GCN just loves to have fast memory.

In addition, it's just as Loophole says, the main gain is in the minimum fps as that's where you see the most gains.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Overclocking a GPU might get you from 50-55fps and constant stuttering, to average 60+ and constant smoothness. It's not about the averages, it's about variance and higher clocks will always behave better.

The proper way to OC Tahiti is to know your 100% stable clocks and voltages and flash them with Vbe. This is one of the things I'm going to miss from this GPU when I eventually change it.