EVGA Partnering with AMD for VEGA Rumor Gets Debunked Real Fast

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    EVGA told years ago that it will be an exclusive Nvidia partner.

3. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    First post, so hello everybody.

Let's assume that there are talks between EVGA and AMD.

No one expects EVGA - or any other company - to come out in public, before there is a final agreement between them and AMD, and say that they are thinking dropping Nvidia exclusivity. That would have been suicidal. Especially after the FTW fiasco and considering the number of partner Nvidia has. If EVGA was coming out and verifying this early, Nvidia could stop giving them cards. After that AMD could dictate whatever terms it wanted.

On the other hand talks could be true, but not because EVGA really wants to produce AMD cards, but because it is trying to negotiate with Nvidia some extra benefits over other Nvidia partners, like the right to market titan X cards.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    EVGA AM4 motherboards would be much more likely. Graphics cards are never going to happen.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I remember having a V7 VEGA graphics card back in the day. So I guess this means V7 will partner with AMD to create the new V7 VEGA this time around as well. It's the same name, after all! ;)

More partners for AMD would be good to have anyhow.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's as Sapphire mother board to support SLI (out of the box of course ;) )...

it would be great... but no way lol :)

7. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Seems like a pretty stupid company to simply dismiss AMD products out of spite. What I don't get how they are relevant at all?

8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That where you could be 100% wrong if AMD new Vega chip really dose prove to be top notch against it competitor then the tables could very will turn in the other direction.
    We just have wait and see once some of top Hardware Review like Guru3D, [H]ardOCP get there hands on new video card from AMD let hope that really dose shine with flying colors and I'm kind of hoping AMD will keep the price way down at or below $400 I even that just a pipe dream LoL.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Lol. They likely sell more those NVIDIA cards than something like Gigabyte sells AMD cards.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's like that some do only AMD and some do only NVidia and some pass from one to other and bankrupt :) (if you are old enough you know who were those 2 company lol)...

11. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    That would be good for ppl if the "only..." company would actually sell those cards cheaper but almost always it is cheaper to buy something else. I did have an EVGA card once and I did have a Sapphire card once but most of them were from gigabyte, gainward, powercolor, galaxy (galax), palit, leadtek, vtx but i never had an MSI or Asus - somehow these do not care about clients and make their own ridicules price brackets with like +1fps more.
    As a proof:
    a dual fan Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB: 1948,38PLN
    a dual fan Asus GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL OC 8GB 2137,91PLN
    that is +9% more cash for +64Mhz in base clock
    Is the Asus faster than Zotac by 9% ? or is it 4,5% faster and 4,5% quieter -combined than a Zotac ?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    the internet is so funny and forgets a lot.

they have a better chance(well not really)to say pny will go with amd products.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Remember when XFX went solely AMD even after having their GTX 5XX products near finalized.
    It was a very good thing XFX went amd. They make stellar products now and have the best warranty on AMD period.
    At first they were not the best but good enough.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    As much as I would like to see EVGA branch out, it's high;y unlikely. The contract they have with Nvidia more than likely includes a NCC

15. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    A new AMD GPU comes out and you see 20 models based on that GPU.
    A new Nvidia GPU comes out, at the same price point, and you see 100 models.

If AMD manages to get more market share and be more competitive in the future, if not EVGA, others will have to drop the exclusivity, just so they can survive.

16. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    Little bird told me there is some merit to EVGA on VEGA. Ofcourse they followed it up with an official "No comment :)"

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^haha yeah right "100% not true" is what was said
    where did you get no comment from?
    ahhhhh its like if you asked them if they take it up the dumpa would they answer?
    we all know why it wont happen.
    I really don't think that their pro overclockers would even touch amd cards anyways
    someone said amd mb's maybe.....lol evga mb's have sucked very hard since like 1366

18. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Free publicity for AMD first of all and then for EVGA as well. EVGA would not break the deal with Nvidia for AMD, that's for sure :)

19. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    If you knew the struggles that EVGA has gone though in recent years, you wouldn't be saying that.

1) Big Green prohibited EVBot from continuing for example.
    2) Big Green blocking Board Partners with overclocking Titan X (Maxwell) and not even having Titan X (Pascal)
    3) Restrictions on Board designs are getting tougher

and considering there is no AMD board maker that's even remotely similar to EVGA. It's ideal.

They won't drop Nvidia, but they could work it out to be both.

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    New Year's Reflections on this note..

I didn't realize until this thread that anyone actually cares who buys and brands the GPUs anymore...;) Back in the old days, everyone, including 3dfx, partnered with board partners to release and market boards...;) That was before 3dfx foolishly bought STB (and ~$100M in attached debts 3dfx *agreed* to pay off when it bought the *cough* Mexican STB factory--before 3dfx even knew if there were any debts(!) How's that for management skill?...;)) Irony was that the the V3/V5 was the best product 3dfx had ever made--so the decision to buy an independent factory was correct, imo--but it was the choice of STB's factory and its hidden debts, coupled with the fact that the 3dfx engineers tasked to run the company knew less than most people reading this thread about running a factory--especially a factory in Mexico(!)--"Hello, Gringo--hand us your money, eh?" Ah, well...that's the way the cookie crumbles...Live and learn, right, you 3dfx all-white-meat-chicken guys (and, man, that was the worst advertising slogan possible from a 3dgpu company--and I was once 3dfx's largest fan--at least as measured in pounds and inches--*choke*!--Sort of...)

I was initially against the STB buy for 3dfx--but after I bought a V3/V5 I became an instant fan of the decision--until 3dfx proved it couldn't manage the factory and all of these crazee debts started popping up..."Ah, poor 3dfx...I knew him well!"...was that line ever actually in the Shakespearean tale?...;)

Note to self made around the year ~2000, "GPU engineers do not good businessmen make!"...;)

ATi, ArtX, etc. Darkhorse candidates with the R300--unbelievably powerful GPU that squashed nVidia's/&what-was-left-of-3dfx flat! Incredible. Took nVidia, after it swallowed the bones of 3dfx, literally years to catch up. Then AMD buys ATi....! Jury has always been out on that one but always hopeful...!

Long-story-short...Here we are 2017 and under the brilliant, incredibly savvy direction of its new CEO--Dr. Lisa, I presume--AMD and ATi are once again making huge strides again and the tech future has never looked brighter, imo! Finally AMD roped in a dramatic personality who understands the games and the rules and knows how to win--took 'em long enough. I sadly watched AMD rifle through a dismal line of retired Widget salesmen from Omaha! Dr. Lisa *understands* what must be done, and perfectly, if I may be so bold.

Yep, so now we're back full circle to board-partners working heavily with GPU manufacturers to see discrete GPUs sold competitively and I love it. Of course, the business model for nVidia has never changed--it's always been this way--3dfx started this way but went out selling its own brand--and for years ATi sold its own brand until they smartened up and adopted a measure of the board-partner goodness, as well!

But...last thought...several board partners through the years sold both nVidia and ATi GPUs without a problem--and many still do, MSI, etc. I don't think it much matters these days who is exclusive to one GPU brand and who is not...the good products are still being made in abundance regardless of what your choice may be.

As for me...well, "Serve up that AMD/ATi beastie medium rare, eh? I'm saving some room for Vega later on this year!" Ah, competition is the spice of life--as is variety!

Excuse me, guys--but for some reason or other I'm still celebrating the new year and I've forgotten how to turn off the switch! So, again, best of new years to all...!