HDMI 2.1 announced - supports 8K 60hz - Dynamic HDR and eARC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Q: What are the supported resolutions and frame rates?

A:

4K50/60
    4K100/120
    5K50/60
    5K100/120
    8K50/60
    8K100/120
    10K50/60
    10K100/120

:thumbup:

3. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    As much as I love the connection itself, but I can not stand the "interface" the connection gives us. Such a horrible connection to make when you are not looking directly at what you are plugging into. I do not know anyone with home entertainment centers in their house that have the luxury of pulling everything out to make one connection.

Blindly plugging in a HDMI cable is horrendous at best. Why could it not be a universal plug that is accepted upside down or rightside up....?? Not to mention having them "hanging" off the back of your receiver in hopes that you don't smash them up while moving things back into place. Something with a small footprint, but offering up connectivity features like the aforementioned would be greatly appreciated. Oh wait...we have that. It's called DISPLAY PORT! Small little plug capable of so much.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    looks like we not gonna run out of bandwidth with 2.1 any soon.

Nice improvement.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Guess I will get my new gpu when they support this? and my new UHDTV/Av Unit Support this.... yah I never getting any that stuff till what I have is litter broke and i have no choice haha

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    With all this Vega delay, maybe by the time it comes out 8k will be available but for $$$! I love technology! 65" 8k would be awesome with 4x VEGA or TXP! So glad I don't need to finance a car anymore :D

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Physically, HDMI and DP are not that much different. Display port isn't bi-directional either. So basically, if you put a locking mechanism on HDMI, you'd have the same thing. Also, if you start making these ports too small, you lose durablity and reliability. You can have too small of a contact area.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    DP is a hell of a lot easier to plug in, blind or otherwise, as most have a clamp release on one side. HDMI has nothing. And I've never managed to damage a mini DP cable. I don't know what sort of wars you take yours into, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd damage one.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hopefully this means HDR10 60hz with 4:4:4 at 4k.

Also: Not looking forward to the continued EDID issues between HDTV resolutions and PC/Game resolutions.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Can't you achieve that with existing standards (e.g. DP1.3 / HDMI 2.0)? Probably even DP1.2 can (if pushed a bit), since it has sufficient bandwidth for 1440p 165Hz at 8-bit (which roughly translates to 4K 58.67Hz 10-bit).

11. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I'm having an issue here. Reading that 4k 120fps is going to require HDMI 2.1, but the new monitors being outed by HP, Acer and Asus are touting 4k @ 144hz refresh rate...

Maybe I missed something along the lines, so if someone could clarify anything for me on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.