Review: Core i7 7700K processor - flagship performance ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2017.

1. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    So let me get this straight I may be paranoid all the articles of i7 7700k before AMD showed ZEN the processor was clocking 4.7 . After Ryzen and now rumors it clocks 5.0ghz new batches of the chips arrive ? I don't mind if the i7 clocks at 5.0ghz hell my sandry bridge does but I got a golden processor. I am just saying it's strange . Lot of articles re did it on z270 chipset motherboard except the power consumption lowering, the clock didn't go higher.

2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Look! I upgraded to the 7700k for free!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now, Intel, seriously?
    WTF is this crap?
    I guess they still don't care that they will have competition.

3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I really am hoping Zen will be a major hit. Intel might finally get off there arse and offer a decent upgrade for current users.

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review as always Hilbert , well done.

Awesome to hear that , you shall have lots of fun as this cpus does not have cold bug :D meaning full pot of LN2 + lots of voltage and voila 7.0Ghz :D will be the norm , over at hwbot they are benching at +7200Mhz on liquid helium ( http://hwbot.org/submission/3412342_dancop_superpi___1m_core_i7_7700k_4sec_937ms ) , many of the world records have fallen already , this cpu is an extreme overclockers dream. This reminds me of the 3770K with no cold bug ( http://hwbot.org/submission/2342306_chispy_cpu_frequency_core_i7_3770k_6805.14_mhz ) back in the day when i was active in hwbot and ranked in the top 10 overlockers worldwide , those days for me are gone but i still like to watch the action going on over there at hwbot :)

I heard Intel improved the Tim between the die and ihc and do not need delidding anymore , that's good news. I will continue to wait for Zen as i really want an affordable 8c16t cpu as i believe that will be the sweet spot right now and going forward in the future.

5. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    Screw intel...what a rip off....wait for zen

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Everybody already knew this chip was just a respin and basically just cherry picked for higher boost clocks.

Hopefully Zen will force Intel's hand in to bringing a 6/12 or an 8/16 to the masses but i doubt it will. I feel that Intel are so deep in to R&D that prices there will always remain high.

I'm thinking most gamers will just wait for 4.5-5ghz Zen(if possible on all 8/16 cores and be done with Intel).

I personally can wait for Zen 8/16 2nd revision or better stepping chips further down the line.

So many questions to be answered, like is it possible to turn off Zens HT and have 8 cores running @ 5.2ghz :) Who knows might be a thing.

7. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
  8. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    lol ^ so true!

4.8ghz OC seems like the more probable OC for most 7700k. Also, it's probably been said already but Zen is around the corner, people should wait for Zen before even thinking about getting an intel Kaby Lake cpu.

9. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    For me the biggest improvement is the iGPU. 5 supported displays up from 2? That's great. Unfortunately few motherboards have more than 2-3 ports (the ones with 3 mainly have a VGA which now is dead), so in order to get those 4-5 displays you need to get a motherboard so expensive, that it would be better to buy a dedicated GPU.
    Also is the limit to 1gb max dedicated to the iGPU been lifted?

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Edit: Accidental double post. Please delete.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's cherry picked Intel engineering samples. You got a 1 in 1000 chip, won the silicon lottery so to say, and despite that the ES 4770Ks in reviews blow yours out of the water. The 4770K engineering samples all easily hit 4.8GHz with like 1.2v. Meanwhile the real things struggle ever hit 4.2GHz. I need 1.25v just to hit 4.2, and everyone I know and their dogs have 4770Ks with the same or worse results.

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Looking forward to having a play with it thats for sure! I've not done LN2 yet, however I've got a pot now and a 50L dewar, just need a supplier for LN2 and I'm away :)

I post regular on the bot, obviously for Guru3d, now number 1 there and 9th in the UK. I remember your OC days, was always fascinating to see!

Yeah I've heard about the lack of Cold Bug, and I hear that the die is slightly bigger with this one too so thermal paste cracking shouldn't be an issue like Skylake was. I think some are still deliding though. But wow liquid helium! Thats cold lol

Yeah hoping Zen performs really well, and is priced competitively this area of PC does need some competition!

No there not cherry picked, around 75%-80% of any retail CPU 7700K will do 5Ghz under top air cooling or WC. XOC has been hitting 7GHz with these on 2cores and anything up to 6.8GHz with all cores active and HT on. These chips OC great!

Tell that to my 4770K, 4.7GHz at 1.19v under Custom WC lol

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    He has the same CPU as yours. You just denied yourself.
    It wouldn't be 1st time Intel sends out good overclockers for review. You have to wait until CPU released to masses and we know what average overclock be like.

EDIT: can you share link Kaby being stable on "6.8GHz with all cores active and HT on."?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hilbert wasn´t the only one to reach the 5.0Ghz mark:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...el-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-review-13.html

As for Kaby Lake and Intel, the real problem for me is not the fact that they are still stuck with four cores, that are more than enough for 90% of consumers, for me big problem is the prices of those things! Intel cpus should be 20% cheaper...

15. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    OK, no idea what this means lol, denied myself?

Not saying they haven't before, I'm saying this time most retail chips will do around 5Ghz, some will be 4.9Ghz, PCper hit 5.1Ghz

Just go to HWbot and look at all the benching runs for 7700K

Oh and I really don't hope you think I'm saying 24/7 stable in the high 6GHz+ range.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Meh, Zen for me. I need more than 4 cores, at less than a grand.

17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  18. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Cheers Chispy, I couldn't be bothered to link them lol Got work soon so a bit busy :)

You can do that already, its called Haswell E :)

Well if your willing to buy a used 5960X, can get them for around £600 now, got mine on ebay couple months back for £630 incl shipping, J batch aswell so clocks nice too.

Or pick up 5820K for 200-300 used on ebay.

Since Zen is so close now though waiting is probably the best idea, who knows, if Zen is what we all hope used Haswell E may drop a little further in price

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ask my superior 2500k@4.3Ghz on air? lol.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They're*.

Calm down and take a deep breath. Intel only ever send cherry picked samples. We'll see what the real things do when people actually start reporting their results. Everything so far has been engineering samples.

Yeah, your sample size of 1 sure outweighs the 50+ I'm thinking of from those I know and results I saw in charts of OC threads where people report in.
    That doesn't make any sense. Did you even read what I wrote?