Review: Core i7 7700K processor - flagship performance ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    [​IMG]

So i lowered my O/C on my 6700k to 4.5 just to see the difference, and i was expecting to see a increase in performance but for some reason the 6700k is scoring higher not by much but still , ive also have 56 background processes running .

Anyway thanks for a great review ,enjoyed reading it as always:):)

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    the fact these overclock to 5GHz so easily does make then very very tempting.

However, I'm gonna wait for Zen review as 4core/8threads is just painful to see on the "high end mainstream" segment in 2017 now.

Just imagine if software developers actually went down the route of multi threading and aimed to improve performance that way in 2006. Maybe AMD wouldn't be in the predicament they are in now and the bulldozer architecture would of actually had some legs.

If both Intel and AMD go the route of lowering clock speeds but increasing core count the devs would have no choice but to program their software to use multiple cores properly instead of just using a few of them.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    nice but im gonna hold off a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit longer before an upgrade

5. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Now if it was only that simple - hope your right cos Zen is on shopping list :)

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Great review! Kind of feel insulted by Kaby Lake, that Intel have the gall to release something so ridiculously side-ways like this. I dearly hope that Zen can bitch-slap them so hard they are sent back to the drawing board. Have a feeling from this point on all eyes will be on AMD, doubt anyone will touch a 7700k until Zen is out.

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Its lonely being the King of the hill lol, That is why Intel has not given us 6-cores for this mainstream segment.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The only improvement Kaby Lake brings over Sky Lake is the overclocking headroom, everything else it´s just meh...

9. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    thank you Hilbert for the nice review:)
    man 4 motherboards and 2 CPUs in one day, got to appreciate your concomitant and all the Guru3D team :nerd:
    value wise can't see any one with the right mind upgrading from 6700k to 7700K it's a whole year newer and the performance defiance is next to nothing, or even less on theme clock.
    7700K @5Ghz is some where around 33% faster than my i7 920 @4Ghz and that's like what 7 years older :3eyes:, makes you wonder what Intel engineers are doing?!
    never the less nice review, nice reading as always.

10. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    intel - Bringing rebrands to the CPU market.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Looks like i'll get another year out of my 5GHz 2600k

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Once again no major improvement. Still a 4core processor. Wait for Cannonlake / Coffeelake 10nm stuff. That should be interesting, not this.

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Really can't wait to get my hands on this platform! My LN2 pot is ready!

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the review! Still 4c/8t for mainstream "performance", AND a new mobo requirement because reasons. Thanks, but no thanks. My next upgrade will be 8c/16t. Everything is multithreaded, and everything that isn't either will be or still run perfectly on Zen.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Z170 boards will support Kaby Lake with updated firmware. The MSI Z170 Gaming Pro has already received an update to add support for Kaby Lake. I haven't updated to it, but the update is available.

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Well that was a pretty underwhelming performance. For gaming i mean, only 1 or 2 fps difference most of the time. But i suppose i shouldn't expect much - its only 0.2ghz faster than its predecessor. Intel are getting very lazy these days. I hope AMD lights a rocket under their sluggish asses with Ryzen and forces them to make some breakthroughs.

17. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Intel is fat and lazy and this processor is proof

When there is no competition, Intel can keep charging hundreds of dollars for essentially no gains in performance over previous generation chips. I refuse to buy any more 4 core chips as even your cheap phones now have 4 cores and some even more. I know they aren't comparable but still it's a freaking phone.

18. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    Ok how come other sites like toms say they can't overclock the processor to anything over 4.7ghz which is just 200mhz above did you get a golden cpu ? I mean this seems insane. Also other sites report they can't clock over 4.7ghz stable. The only thing in common that on same ghz the performance isn't worth the upgrade. I just want to know the truth for overclocking.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah nothing special, just a higher binned Skylake with the same ~150mhz gap e.g. Haswell.

gaming is just not worth mentioning @ techpowerup review 7700K @ 4.9GHz

Physics

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i7-7700k-processor-review-desktop-kaby-lake,12.html

Vantage and 06 physics scores, my test 4.7Ghz and cache 4.2ghz like by 4.5Ghz KabbyLake.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Overclock sounds good, Haswell ES did 5ghz @ 1.20 - 1.25v, but retail ended a lot worse..
    I will wait for Zen, but probably won't upgrade until Zen+ and new intel x86 arch :nerd:

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ars also got it to 5Ghz and clearly managed to run a number of games/benchmarks on it:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-review/