Review: Core i5 7600K processor : Desktop Kaby Lake for the masses

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Finally a review that is trust worthy. I am liking the overclocking you got.

3. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    What a boring gen

4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    nothing new since 2xxx series.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It may be boring but as long as it lowers the prices of Skylake parts, I don't really care. By the time Zen is released, Skylake's price will drop even further. Doesn't mean I'm going to get it (I hopefully won't) but at least I won't feel ripped off if I do buy it.

6. ic3r0ck

ic3r0ck Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    On the first page, in the memory section of the table for the Kaby Lake it is written DDR3-1600, even though it supports up to DDR4-2400. Even if it supports both DDR3L and DDR4, shouldn't DDR4-2400 be specified in the table for direct comparison with older architectures ? otherwise there may be some confusion given that Skylake supports DDR4-2133.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Checking as that should read 2400 MHz (albeit all procs & motherboards default to 2133 MHz JEDEC). DDR3 specs are unconfirmed at this time.

8. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    Would love to see it paired against an i7 5775C in CPU heavy games. The Broadwell-C should have been the defacto replacement for the old Sandy Bridge architecture.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah I am afraid I do not have that processor anymore. Typically we get 3 weeks with a proc before it gets returned to Intel. For this review things are even worse, Intel abandoned press marketing in the Netherlands/Benelux and simply does not communicate anymore.

We had to loan the samples from mobo partners.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, this review confirmed what everyone was expecting, Kaby Lake it´s just a minor tweak compare to Sky Lake... The only good improvement seems to be in the overclocking department...

Just two questions Hilbert:

1 - i didn´t see any reference regarding the prices, are they going to be similar to Sky Lake ones?

2 - any news about a possible release date of Zen? I´m planning a new build and i want to now if it´s worth waiting for it.

If the price is right and Zen takes too long, this can be my new CPU...

11. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    My OC'ed@ 4.8Ghz i7 4790K is still very powerful in terms for gaming performance. I hope this and other new cpus gets crushed by AMD this time. So that we can see better prices vs performance levels for the this new year 2017.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As stated, Intel does not communicate anymore, they just have the motherboard partners sort sampling. Hence I do not have price details ATM. However history dictates that pricing will be similar to the respective counter-parts.

Ryzen is on track for a Q1 release, so unless something would go horribly wrong you should see AMD release Summit Ridge 8-cores in the February or March timeframe.

13. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    This might be most expensive CPU ever :D

Intel Core i3-7350K will be ~220€ in Finland :D

14. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    That's really sad. I remember paying 170€ for a 2500K not too long after its release. True, the dollar was much weaker back then, but still the price gap has increased enormously

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You just got me to realize something - I think Intel is intentionally making these super expensive. To my knowledge, there won't be many (if any) OEM PCs released in the next month or two based on Kaby Lake. That leaves primarily enthusiasts and home PC builders to buy KL products, but, most of these people are intentionally waiting for Zen to be released. The die-hard Intel fans will buy KL regardless of price or how much better Ryzen could possibly be, so Intel can easily gouge them.

Intel might not know how good Ryzen is, but they do have a reasonable doubt that it will be competitive enough to hurt their sales. So, when Ryzen is released, Intel will do some massive price drop, basically to the point where KL will be the price point they likely intended it to be at release date. Intel effectively won't lose any money in sales they make, but, they'll divert attention away from AMD by saying "hey look at this nice 15% price drop!" (just guessing here, I didn't actually do the math to figure out how inflated the price is).

Make sense?

16. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    skylake going down? I got mine soon as they were out - £319 ( now sold )

today will cost £339 at ocuk - i don't see any threat of them going down in a hurry cos of kaby. There is not much of gain with the next generation cpu or m/board. You would only buy if you were updating from scratch

thanks for the cpu, m/boards reviews - someone has been a busy boy

17. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Kaby Lake is a disappointment after disappointment but if you look at*the performance charts there are like 20 Intel processors before the first AMD one show up. Zen has to be huge improvement for AMD to get them even on level with Intel. Based on what we know, they might have something like that. A question mark though is the capabilities of the chipset running Zen, meaning what kind of mobos we are getting? And how long*before their drivers are fixed enough so you don't see BSOD on*about every boot.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You seem to be mislead in a few ways:
    * AMD isn't tweaking/improving the Bulldozer architecture, Zen is a complete architectural overhaul. That being said, such a comparison is moot.
    * The poorly performing CPUs you're referring to are nearly 3 years old; AMD has released 2 architectures since then, but none of those were high-end parts. They're still worse than Intel's offerings but Excavator's performance is very close to Sandy Bridge.
    * I'd say the one thing we know most about Zen are the chipsets. There is sufficient information about what to expect about those, and it seems promising.
    * AMD's chipset drivers have always been decent. I have never had BSODs as a result of them and I firmly believe you haven't either. Pretty much every time a BSOD occurs, it's entirely the user's fault. The only time I ever encountered a BSOD using AMD (or Intel or Nvidia hardware) in the past 10 years was because of overclocking, unlocking CPU cores, or insufficient PSUs.

19. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    This is getting worse and worse. There hasn't been a decent speed-bump since AMD quit the high-end cpu market.
    I really hope ZEN will spice things up; this is the same meat, different gravy all over again.

It's telling that for the same money I paid FOUR years ago, I'll get around 0% improvement.
    The last time I upgraded my CPU after about 3,5 years, I got more than double the performance....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  20. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    The División results was a nightmare or that Game uses 6/8 Threads? Lol