AMD Announces FreeSync 2.0 with enhanced features

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Interesting, borderless (windowed too?) support is going to be nice and that HDR technology might help with I'm guessing latency?

Well it's nice to see them improving the FreeSync implementation in both software and hardware. :)
    (Or well I guess both are kinda needed really or it wouldn't work at all.)

EDIT: Ah so some of this will require compatibility from the actual software too and not just the driver.
    (That Deus Ex Mankind Divided slide for example about LFC and then a little corner note on how the game doesn't support LFC currently, well I guess that explains all the activity the game is seeing on Steam currently with daily updates to the various Q&A and development branches, heh.)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  3. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Doesn't seem to address the biggest issue: the framerate window where FreeSync actually works. In a lot of monitors, it was topping out around 75hz, meanwhile G-Sync has worked up to 144hz since the beginning. People who really care about adaptive refresh rates want to have that work up to the full limit of their GPUs, rather than being bottlenecked by their monitor.

Maybe I missed it, or it's just something that will be discovered when people start testing out FS 2.0 monitors, but this update doesn't seem to address that issue.

4. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I got a massive downvote in r/nvidia for making the same complaint about Freesync :3eyes:

5. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    FreeSync range has improved significantly via the latest (over 6mo actually) drivers.

My XF270HU has a range of 40-144 and it's supported day-one (own it since Dec 2015).

Other monitors have seen improvements (both low and high limit) as well.

6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Sorry, i can't read the article now, i'm at work, do you need a freesync 2 capable monitor, or does it work with freesync monitors too?

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's an extension for HDR - it really doesn't have much to do with Freesync although they are branding it under that badge. The borderless stuff is already supported by Freesync 1 monitors. Basically if your monitor doesn't support HDR, this doesn't effect you - its for new displays with HDR support that are probably going to be announced over the next several days at CES.

I've made posts about this on /r/nvidia and /r/amd and got upvotes on both - so if anything its probably the way you worded your post.

Either way AMD is stepping up the requirements for Freesync certification - the "Sync" range should be improving on newer monitors and more consistent in general - LFC mentioned in the article is actually part of this. I do agree though that it was a problem and still kind of is - Dell for example is selling a brand new Freesync branded monitor that doesn't even support the frame doubling feature (LFC) and the window ends at 45Hz. Hopefully the new certification will end these types of monitors.

8. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Yeah, same here with the MG278Q. I think mitigating the lower limit is a great improvement.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    All I cared about was getting borderless freesync support.
    It worked with my 290x on relive drivers but we all know the mess that relive drivers are with 290(x).

So I ordered a R9 Fury Nitro for $248 USD and gonna use that while I save up for Vega.

10. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    I don't quite get this LFC. Any game/title that consistently dips into the high 30's (FPS) needs optimization or perhaps lower image Q to hit the ideal refresh rate of 60Hz and let freesync do its stuff.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    People will downvote what they don't want to hear.

12. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    So what monitors support freesync 2.0 ?

Etc the new samsungs cf791 ?

All sounds good, and the route is much better than what nvidia has for us with its anti consumer strategy.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    At a guess once the CES 2017 event starts in a few days they'll probably have more info such as initial partnerships and examples / showcases about specific monitor models using the new 2.0 HDR functionality.
    (And hopefully something about the Vega GPU and Zen CPU line too but that's a different subject.)

14. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    So.............when do we get Windows 10 desktop in HDR?

15. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I am sorry, what are you talking about? I have had 144Hz limit on my 27" FreeSync BenQ since day 1, (which was in 2015). I switched my card to NVidia later on, but that is beyond the point :).

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As a Linux user, I'm like "wait what's so special about fullscreen borderless mode?"
    *presses alt+F11*

It kind of surprises me Windows has gone this long without having that as a built-in feature.

17. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    It has been up to the games devs to use the windows API so that their games would run in borderless windowed mode. I mean, even browsers have supported that for ages ;)

Vsync on the other hand has been forced by the OS since in windowed mode the desktop has to be composited with the game view and this is where freesync hasn't worked.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    But that's exactly what I'm talking about - in Linux, you don't have to follow any API. You can make any program (not just web browsers) run in borderless fullscreen mode, whether that be your file browser, an office suite, or games, all using the same universal shortcut (which you can change).

In some cases, you can even do borderless windowed mode, but as you can imagine, the benefits of that are a lot fewer.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What does that have to do with synchronizing the refresh rate of that app with the monitor? AFAIK Freesync isn't yet supported in Linux and even when the updated driver hits, Mir was the only display manager that is set to support it - but I haven't really read anything about it since October.

As far as Windows borderless/border support, in Win32 the application was required to render the "non-client" area - so devs had the choice to enable borderless or run it in full screen. In modern windows apps (UWP) it's the same as linux, the display manager controls it.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not sure I understand. I wasn't implying or referring to refresh rates. Anyway, Freesync 1.0 is supported in the AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 driver.

Understood - that's what I find confusing. Windows' display manager doesn't give you control over this, but Linux's does, regardless of application.