The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Plenty of it yes, and thank you bringing to me that it goes so fast on these cards :(

2. You just made me giggle, thx for that :) Anyways, memory certainly didn't "deteriorate" over a months of usage. Most probable reason is that your +500 OC was never stable enough/not tested enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
  3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Don't have any memory artifacts, i doubt it deteriorates that fast, i had +500 on mem since i got the card.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    On mine Zotac GTX1080 AMP I can't go beyond +200MHz on memory, anything above that will cause instant freezing in gaming, rendering doesn't tax too much memory speeds, usually during the rendering memory sits at 4500-4700MHz

Running 2088MHz on mine(+140MHz on core),+200MHz on memory

Still I'm thinking put on mine Extreme BIOS or T4 BIOS from Strix which seems workng well on AMP cards

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    I had no trouble running memory at +575 in Afterburner with my Asus Strix 1080 but backed it down to default after reading the above problems with doing so.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm well aware that different cards clock differently and that there is no general rule on how all cards will behave. It's just that I was able to do something four months ago which I'm not able to do now and naturally I find that strange :)

You're welcome :)

Trust me, I tested it several times and played on these settings for a month or so without any problems. I later dropped my OC since the cooler was a bit too loud when maxing voltage and other stuff. Today it's winter so my apartment is cooler which reflects on my cards temps (~67 degrees).

Also, I don't get the artifacts all the time, only sometimes during loading, or viewing a map or something like that.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The most I get out of my 1080 FE memory is +540, any thing higher it black screen. While 200+ is the highest I can get, any thing higher and it crashes.

8. Emil

Emil Member

GPU:
    ZotacGTX 1080 AMP Extreme
    What is safe Vcore for GTX 1080?

For the improvement of GPU stabilities I set in MSI Afterburner:

Power Limit na 120%
    Temp limit na 85 C
    Vcore 100%

In TimeSpy I got (7837)

Power Limit - max 101%
    Temp - max 73 C
    Vcore - max 1.093 V

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Don't need to worry about passing safe vcore limit with pascal.

10. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Please what are your graphic scores in Firestrike and TimeSpy (with all your OC vs stock)?

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    What specific loading screens? I recently bumped up the memory to +500, I still don't know what my actual limit is. But I like to OC by the worst case scenario, so I'd like to see if I get the same issue on my end (assuming I have the game(s) in question).

On a separate note, as far as the Core clock goes, The Witcher 3 is actually the most stressful game on the Core clock. Just over 2100 mhz was working great in every game besides TW3, I had to lower it to 2088 mhz, and that games STILL pushes the Core clock all the way down to around 2030~mhz on it's own. It's the only game that does that, even benchmarks come no where close. But, as I said, I OC with 24/7 clocks using the worst case scenario, 2088 mhz is still plenty fast.

I still wish there was a way to get rid of the temp limit, water cooling makes it a non-issue even in the summer reaching a max of 60 C, but it still likes to lower mhz even as low as 54 C. It's not drastic as when the GPU would hit 80 C, but it is a minor annoyance.
    Also my power limit is set to 115% for some reason. It's not effecting my overclock, but obviously it seems my BIOS was really made with the crappy AERO cooler in mind.

Are there any BIOS' I can flash to?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  12. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    what can I do about my 1080 hitting power limit?

I have an evga 1080 FE. I rather not do the*clu mod...is there any Bios that works well to increase power limit?

My card tops out at 2164mhz. pushing it to 2,202 results in games closing after few minutes, most likely due*to not enough power.

even though 2164 is rock solid and doesn't downclock, I still hit the power target almost all the time
    [​IMG]

13. Intro

Intro Guest

Hey guys, i was wondering if you can help me with something. I did a 'pre-order' on Amazon of the GALAX/KFA2 1080 HOF a few days ago but it doesn't seem that they will be receiving it any time soon so i'm trying to decide whether i should go with the ASUS Strix or any other 1080 card that has a good performance (not very noisy) and with the ability to OC a little bit at least.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you!

14. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    I have the Strix and it over clocks great and never gets much over 60 temp wise.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The Strix is fast as hell but the MSI is quiet as a mouse.

16. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Upgraded to the EVGA 1080 GTX FTW card the other day and move than happy with it.
    No plans on over clocking even BF1 runs perfect with it stock and the other parts I have.

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Got yesterday GTX1080 FE and EK water block and stock cooler on FE looks as is good, but hell he is noisy,run that card for few hours to test performance +285MHz on core and 200MHz on VRAM and has been very stable, I didn't push too much VRAM or core, just due is noisy and I don't like noisy GPU

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. DJSean00

DJSean00 Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX-GTX1080
    Yeah I've done the same now too... :bang:

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I forgot to reply.

This was some time ago now and I don't remember exactly all games I saw this happen but I do know for sure that I experienced it in Deus Ex and sometimes even when I had the map brought up.

Interesting findings you got regarding Witcher 3. For me the situation is different since TW3 does not stress the GPU more or less than other graphically intensive games. For example the Division and FarCry 4 gives me about the same "downclock" as TW3.

Agreed that the first temp limit (~51-54 degrees) is pretty stupid. I assume that only watercooling can theoretically fix that first downclock.

I know that some manufacturers have released BIOSes but not all. ASUS had an unofficial one roaming around the net. EVGA has official ones and I think MSI does too.

20. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Yes with water cooling you will definitely eliminate downclocking,but this depends on how is loop designed etc

I'm running 360mm rad with EK Vardar fans and 240mm with Phanteks PH-F120SP in push pull,both rads are 60mm etc

And here are my temps during the rendering

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura