Microsoft Agrees Windows 10 upgrade was pushed too aggressively

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    That's only for the paranoid tin foil hat models. My WU in 10 is set to automatic and it has never caused a problem. In Windows 7, it's on notify me of updates. My laptop still has 7 and I never saw anything really out of line. I just got that GWX thing but that was easy to get rid of.

I've never even considered turning BITS off. You go messing around with things like that and that's how you wind up with a broken OS and then MS gets blamed.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    You don't really need that. Even if WU is set on automatic, it will not install anything until the computer has not been used for a while. I've done the restart myself every time because when I checked , it said it was scheduled to happen when the machine was not being used.

I also have never had an issue with any Windows Update in any version of Windows I have used. Not in 98SE, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10.

3. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I've never seen that happen. What kinds of programs?

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I purchased a new laptop a few months ago with Windows 10 on it and the Automatic Updates has caused nothing but annoyances for me.. I'm just thankful for Macrium Reflect.

I dislike not being in control, and with Windows 10 unless I disable Windows Update, which I have now been forced to do, if it's not disabled, I'm not in control.

5. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    Eh, I have Win 10 on one laptop and don't care for it. I'll stick with Windows 7 on the rest of my machines.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    No probs here that can not be lived with...it keeps the time, plays films and games and i can check my mail and shop online, half the problems with any os are user issues.

7. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Just set Windows Update to Disabled in Services :banana:

8. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I'm on an older win 10 version, completely disabled win update and a lot of other things, mostly because I read nothing but trouble about the AU.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thats just something in the EULA added so they can scan ONLY UWP programs for piracy. Its an easy cop out for haters.

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Hi,

Windows Defender disables itself when you install proper anti-virus.

Bye.

11. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    One has read too much. The AU update is FAR better than pre AU.

12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Hahaha

I admit, in some cases w10 is better than w7, but...
    But layout doesn't suits me, and that crap can throw "run out of memory" freezing pc window!!! where only browser with 2 tabs is open and one game running. 16gb ram, max used was 50-60% ffs, UE3 engine isn't so hungry. Or GTAV. Or WarhammerTW.

Their shop can broke every few restarts...need regedit fixing...buy something to see next day that u cannot reach it because winstorecrapsh doesn't work at all...

Got only to 1607 upgraded as I don't trust new one are needed.

No problemos on w7 as I have dualbot and can check anytime...

13. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Yes, it certainly is.

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I haven't had a single problem with the Store.

15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    that win10 is so good that after 6 months of trying a new driver every one day to have it change nothing or add new bugs
    i switched back to win 7 haven't touched my (365.19 2016.5.13) drivers all nov-dec no more sli bugs flickering or whatever, shadowplay (2.x) works flawlessly even games with no sli profiles work so yeah..oh almost forgot I've got more fps and much smoother, the stuttering, freezes and huge fps drop you think games do or nividia drivers, bad news it's all coming from win10/dx12
    the problems I mention are flooding most recent games release, just switching to win7 fixed 9/10 of them for me without any patch from the game editor

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Wow, a necro thread from 1995 - talking 'bout how Microsoft forced people to have internet explorer...oh wait...

17. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Windows 10 is great on a desktop. The Start menu is fully functional now and in some ways is better than 7's. Programs are easier and faster to find because you can quickly jump to the first letter of the application. On top of that, you have the option of using tiles in the Start menu that make things even faster. You can also quickly access pictures, music, videos, documents, etc. by adding them to the customizable column on the left.

Add to that the fact that you can sync browser favorites and other settings across multiple devices, and play games utilizing DX 12 which like the OS itself is only going to get better and better. Personally, I'm having a blast playing Forza: Horizon 3 which I couldn't do in any other Windows version. I have trouble tearing myself away from that game.

Windows 10 does everything and more than Win 7 and also does the things that are common to both better. It also runs better on older low powered systems. When you really think about it, it's a no-brainer to upgrade and it's amazing to me that people are still resisting.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  18. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Its a dick move by MS when they changed the button behaviour. Win10 is not a bad OS but its not the greatest either, forced auto update on anything is a very bad design.

19. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Windows 10 keeps me busy, it's like Vista all over again at my shop.

20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

Sounds a lot like the issues ive had over the past year with Ark: Survival evolved and the memory leak caused by TrueSky. Yeah, it looks amazing but you gotta restart the game ever couple hours because all of a sudden it ramps up to 11gb+ in just Ark. It does the same to my friends PC which has 32gb as well. One would think a major game breaking bug like this would have been fixed by now, but we're talking about Wildcard here. I'm sure they're working hard on another paid dlc with the money everyone paid to develop the core game. :bang:

The issue im seeing with customers is not with windows itself, but the vast majority are caused by users turning crap of that then breaks the OS.

The issue though goes far beyond computer operating systems and is largely the product of people in power wanting much more control over their populations. They take advantage of things like the Syrian civil war and intentionally allow millions of so called "refugees" to pour into Europe because they know some will have bad intentions and as you can see, terrorist attacks, sexual assaults, and other crimes are now rampant across Europe. But mark my words, its going to get worse before those in power offer a solution, which will greatly expand the powers of "big brother". But you in the peasantry had better not offer up a preventative plan like stopping the mass migration or you'll be labeled a racist and everything else they can come up with.
    If you think Obama giving up US control of the Internet has nothing to do with this, the repercussions of that seemingly benign act will play a key part in what unfolds. They will offer a solution which will largely consist of you giving up freedom. Just remember, once its gone, you'll likely never get it back.