French Magazine posts engineering sample AMD Ryzen Processor benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Purely from a gaming perspective here; the i5 6500 which costs approx £220 is offering about the same performance. A stock i5 6600 is £240. My i7 6700k was £260 at time of purchase 1st quarter 2016 (£330 now).

I've already said in the other thread that for the majority of people that they wouldn't notice the difference unless they're into content creation or streaming+gaming on one system etc. This article actually confirms my thoughts on this.

While it's ok to speculate on what future performance "could" bring (which I've also commented on), the fact of the matter is the base performance for a gamer with our current crop of games will not be enough to entice those people to upgrade.

If you had an i5 6500 or i5 6600 already and you only played games, why would you "upgrade"? Right now, it would be a side-grade at best.

However, if you're not a gamer, then, I think this is an excellent processor. Providing the price is right, for me it could be an excellent music studio cpu.

2. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Then...

21% slower gamming performance at 23~27% slower clocks than i7 6700K sounds great, good IPC

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    holy crap. are some of yall reading the same graphs i am? because as i parse it, the IPC is clearly stronger than we anticipated. team red is breathing down intels neck. honestly this is pretty exciting news...im getting more optimistic about this launch

4. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

This ^^!

If Ryzen can clock the same, AMD will be back, only thing left is good pricing.

5. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I was wondering the same. Those graphs are way better than what I expected. And all this coming from an early ES underclocked chip without the proper driver support. I never expected to be so close to Intel's offerings. That being said I can't wait for the final product reviews it's going to be interesting.

6. draizze

draizze Guest

Good result considering It's only engineering sample with lower clock and isn't It fairly obvious that the 4c/8t will have higher clock. 65W is not half of 95W TDP of 8c/16t. It's still possible the base clock will be similar or even higher than Skylake.

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The tests have been done a good time ago... as pointed in the magazine, they are not representative of the final product.

theres many things to consider: board are obviously too engineer samples with bios as they are, let alone the cpu, who was clocked effectively really low. ( as stated in the article, the performance are relative to this clock speed. ). Let alone, early ES samples like that can even got some little things, here and there disabled.

We dont have the individual numbers, so hard to see in what softwares and games, they are close, faster or slower.

And when i see the result on a system like that, at thoses clock speed, im really surprised in good.

Its a 8cores, so turbo boost will have some limitations, 4 cores could been clocked even way higher then on the final products.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    This.

The "%" listings thrown off an easy way to write it down, but IPC looks stronger, at least in some cases, than the 6x00 series.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    ryzen is fast enough including games, to get intel to lower prices.

the fact i can now get a 8/16 cpu (instead of the 6 core 5820),
    that will work nice on optimized software and still not affect gaming performance negatively.

now i just want the price to be below 300$ and motherboards under 200....

10. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Ryzen is ZEN

Something really good about to happen for PC users after a decade :banana:

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you already have a cpu that is as good as new amd. Most of us do. Why bother? :3eyes: They are late. Someone buying new PC? Ok, sure. Let's see the real pricing of the whole combo when this thing comes out. I dont expect it to be cheaper than intel tho...

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Those gaming benchmarks actually looks good! 3.4 GHZ vs 4.4 GHZ Haswell vs 4.2 GHZ Skylake within 10% or so... damn good...

Lets see those cores work 1:1 ghz and core to core!

I feel its AMD X2 and 64 all over again!

13. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Never change my 4790k for zen ... But its a real cpu for amd now .

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ryzen is looking good !

15. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I was expecting even better numbers, and may still get the at the final release.
    BUT the price will be everything and i don't think that until winter next year we will get a good price. Still we may hope and pray :p (i don't think AMD will go under 25% of what Intel has toady). And as long as consoles only use 8 core few games will be optimize for more ! So only for a work station you will need more. My opinion.
    Still at the moment welcome back AMD !
    Still got a new I6700k (@260 Euro) after i won a new MAXIMUM RANGER VIII and a 16 GB ram DDR4. So will have to wait some time for the next gen CPU's until i will upgrade again (i wanted to get a ZEN to last for a few year ( :( ) but my money is scares so free MB and memory made my choice. I'm not that optimistic about AMD prices.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, if we look how they deal with nvidia, 25% less would be generous...add mobo to that cpu and so on...idk, we shall see. CPU will be better for sure when it comes out, this is eng sample, low clock etc.

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I think sr-5 is lookin good at $250- 6/12 threads still $250 seems a bit unreasonable $200 would be a (Killer) deal for that cpu and would maybe steal some of Intels x-99 crowd if ya know what I mean?

18. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

Yeah, but I cant afford the 6/8 core Intel offerings, I need more cores with decent single core performance, I am hoping Ryzen delivers.

19. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    With this benchmarks AMD Zen shows that this Zen 8 core cpu is about 20 % slower than Intel i7 6900k cpu, but the turbo frequency is lower at about 10 % too (3.4 GHz max turbo freq.for 8 core Zen and 3,7 GHz max turbo freq. for Intel i7 6900k). If AMD can manage to sell Zen cpu's for less than 400 US$, than AMD can and will have a great success with Zen, otherwise I think that they will miss this great chance for a comeback from surviving corporation to a successful corporation.

20. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    I agree with you , but let's not forget that intel's K cpu's can overclock as well to say 4 GHz and beyond