NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    No luck with that either.

Have a feeling this might be a DX10/11 title.

2. That game is DX10 isn't it?

3. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    Further research gives me this Steam Community thread, which reveals the game has built-in MSAA through the ini files. However, I enabled it and it's buggy as heck - it messes up shadow colors, takes away some gameplay elements (such as the viewing cones for guards) and causes some menus to not display (though they still work). It does however suggest that the game is D3D9 (the attribute to enable MSAA is bAllowD3D9MSAA), so there's still some hope for AA through Inspector.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Just use an OSD like Afterburner/RTSS or Precision X, it will tell you what API ti is.

5. That's simply a flag included in the unrealengine default .ini.

6. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    Gave that a try, found out it is D3D11.

DSR and/or SMAA injection it is. :cry:

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    So the Resident Evil 7 demo is out.
    Tons of aliasing as expected. (4x DSR+SMAA or FXAA looks like crap) The TAA is surprisingly decent. No smearing in motion (UE4, FFXV), no Ghosting or double images of any kind no matter how fast motion is. Nothing that makes the image look like it's using a paint shader like UE4 or Doom at any point.
    There is a large amount of high frequency averaging. Making the image on the soft side, however not egregiously so. It could do better at resolving specular issues.

It does have some issues however. Standing still, the TAA adds some image wobbling/shaking. It misses some aliased object edges that you think it should get. Small specular and shader aliasing is still a big issue even with SSAA. Like many other TAA techniques, there are some things it just fails at in motion. Mostly specular issues that are aliased in motion from a certain angle. But resolved when there is no motion.
    I think it could be higher quality considering how fast it is. Strange that it only offers a TAA+FXAA pairing when SMAA would be the better choice for left over geometric edges.
    What's funnier, is that TAA+FXAA is faster than just SMAA by itself! (Just makes me feel like the TAA could be even higher quality..)

The in game OGSSAA, is fairly mediocre. Par for the course. There is some temporal aliasing that not even 4x resolution scale gets. It looks the same at native as it does with the super sampling.
    Using DSR looks much better and performs better too.
    I tried using the in game resolution scale with DSR. (2.25x DSR + 1.3x resolution scale = just under 4x total) and it looks pretty comparable to 4x DSR.

Using 2.25x DSR+ 2x resolution scale in game doesn't do anything for the remaining temporal issues with the specular component. (Effectively 9xSSAA)

I don't know if it's my drivers, but HBAO+ seemed bugged.
    At 3200x1800, HBAO+ costs me ~40FPS. Takes me from ~70FPS to ~30FPS in one scene. I've never seen HBAO+ be so costly. With downsampling, the difference isn't even as noticeable. As the SSAO doesn't have very noticeable temporal issues. It does have some minor overshading at a distance. But it's difficult to tell since it's so dark. Some scenes the difference is very noticeable. Others not at all.

There's even some kind of ghosting glitch/ issue with HBAO+ present.
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/HBAOghosting.jpg

The Reflections are horrible quality, in the kitchen where the sunlight is beaming through the windows. The reflections become a blotchy crawling mess. Very distracting.

8. roxahris

roxahris Guest

Are you using Normal or Interlaced rendering? Interlaced seems to be fancy image reconstitution - lowers my GPU usage by a ton while looking a lot more aliased. I couldn't see any aliasing at all with TAA on Normal rendering mode (though visible with close scrutiny), but shimmering is all around with Interlaced.

SMAA is outright broken for me. No effect, huge FPS drop. Probably bugged. As for using it with TAA, the more logical thing would be for them to just mean T2x/4x SMAA - seeing as their engine obviously already generates the data for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2016
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'm using normal rendering. Interlaced mode looks awful.

There is still quite a bit of aliasing left with TAA. Specifically high contrast edges and small specular highlights on objects.

It's a huge improvement over no AA however and a bigger improvement over 4xOGSSAA even.
    In the screenshot I posted before.
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/HBAOghosting.jpg
    This is cropped from an 1800p render. You can see the thin specular detail on the picture frame to the upper left are not properly resolved.

Using DSRTool to play the game at 4k on my 900p monitor, the results are quite a bit better than with 2.25x DSR+4xSSAA in game.

Also: If you dont' have a ton of VRAM, turn off the Shadow Cache. This causes immense stuttering and performance issues for me.

I found as well, if we could get a clone of Adobe's exact code for Photoshop's "Sharpen more" filter as a Reshade shader. Then image sharpness will be almost 100% the same as without TAA
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194478

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  10. ciscou31

ciscou31 Guest

Dear all,

I am looking for the "antialliasing Compatibility"code for my game ASSETTO CORSA working in DX11.

Can you help me because i found nothing for this game.

many thanks in advance.

ps: sorry for my english :(

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    There are no codes for DX11. The driver only supports DX9 and a few DX10 titles.

12. ciscou31

ciscou31 Guest

thanks for you quick answer.

in Nvidia inspector profile, is it not possible to reduce the alliasing of this game?

13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Adventure Time Finn and Jake Investigations

This game runs on Vicious Engine 2. As a big AT fan, I was disappointed to hear this. But I hoped the PC version would be decent this time.
    Nope.

As per usual with VE games it suffers
    • OSD Software doesn't work
    • 30FPS Lock, with unstable frame pacing/Vsync. Force 30FPS lock and 1/2 Sync from outside the game.
    • No video options
    • Ultra low quality SSAO that contributes a lot of temporal issues
    • Crashes at any resolution bigger than 2048x1152. A new regression from the last game running on this engine. Pac-Man and The Ghostly Adventures.
      The game detects any arbitrary resolution but crashes as soon as you select it. If you do this, then you need to edit the registry settings for the game to a lower resolution. (See PCGWiki)
    It also has built in PPAA this time around, but it's mediocre as usual. And also interferes with SGSSAA a little bit.
    Making the visuals softer while decreasing edge quality a small amount.

AA fix should be used as it increases quality.

0x000012C1 - SGSSAA
    0x004012C1 - SGSSAA if you use ReShade
    0x000112C1 - Higher quality SGSSAA but softer visuals. Though it causes some minor issues with specular shading of only specific objects. It's not a terribly bigger issue. Edge quality is much better in general. (It;s the 1 that does it, and can be used with the ReShade flag as well)

The image can be sharpened through SweetFX, but if you want to use Reshade, the Depth bit needs to be set. And for whatever reason, this interacts with SGSSAA being forced, so it tries to apply AA to ReShade and it's effects as well. Which causes the performance to decrease massively.
    At 1080p with 8xSGSSAA my 980 is hitting 90-100% usage and has frame drops.

So that's not very useful. But an option if you have a 1080 maybe.

No AA Title Screen | Menu | House | Outside house
    8xSGSSAA 12C1 Title Screen | Menu | House | Outside house
    8xSGSSAA 112C1 Title Screen | Menu | House | Outside house
    8xSGSSAA 4112C1 Reshade Sharpening Title Screen | Menu | House | Outside house
    8xSGSSAA 112C1 SweetFX sharpening Title Screen | Menu | House | Outside house

Here's the Preset for ReShade https://www.mediafire.com/?6gpd4u5ii0ux62m
    Here's the SweetFX preset https://www.mediafire.com/?6gpd4u5ii0ux62m

It's a shame there is no video options and the game doesn't support more than 1080p basically.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  15. MarcinPL

MarcinPL Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4 GB
    Some AA Flags for assassin`s creed rogue ?

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's a DX11 game. So it's impossible. If it has the TXAA options ACIII had, then you can enhance that with SGSSAA

17. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Dragon Quest Heroes bits anyone? This game has some NASTY aliasing issues.
    Still using reshade for it..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    DX11 only game, and developer/publisher is incompetent. If it supported greater than 1080p, then you could do something.

If you could figure out at what memory address the game stores it's resolution information, you might be able to hack it with hex editing or something else. (Someone unlocked MGRising's resolution this way. As well as Akiba's Trip. I tried to do the same for Raiden III and IV. But no dice)

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Would you mind explaining how to do this? I've tried with multiple TXAA games and never had it work.

20. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    If you talk about DQH - its NOT dx11 game. :3eyes:
    Somehow, i also thought it was, but system reqs says otherwise. Also reshade don't work in dx10/11 mode, only in dx9 :)