MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 Final is Released

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 27, 2016.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    It's one of those things where mobile chips aren't supported so if it works great if it doesn't nothing can be done really.

2. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Can I replace RTSS in my current 4.3.0 Afterburner + latest stable RTSS combo?

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Install the new one on top of your current (stable) installation.

4. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    Hi!
    any news on Beta 2?
    You should call it 6.6.6 :'D

Thank you!

p.s. can I install RTSS Beta1 without MSI Afterburner?

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Beta 2 link is available on the previous page.

6. dDub

dDub Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    BF1/The Division with Afterburner 4.3.0 finale stable / RTSS 6.6.0b2 both crash on startup with DX12 enabled. I'm not alone on this am I?

7. jozef1605

jozef1605 Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Works perfect but must use 16.11.5.

16.12.1 not working well because is not good for my 390.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    From my understanding of the Clockblocker discussion for AMD GPU's it's because 16.12.1 / Catalyst ReLive moved many GCN GPU's from ADL or PowerPlay 6.0 and earlier (or what it was.) to the same version used by the 480 for Wattman compatibility with little regards to backwards compatibility thus why these problems and compatibility issues with other tools exist.
    (I don't think there's any major problems for Nvidia but I can't say for certain since I'm also on a AMD GPU but I'm not seeing anything in the recent 376.xx release notes that could be a problem but then again AMD didn't exactly mention these ADL/PowerPlay changes in 16.12.1 either so who knows what could change between major driver revisions / driver branch changes or how to say, probably more than they list in the release notes in any case.)

Perhaps 16.12.2 or whatever comes next will be a bit more polished, I'm still using Afterburner myself but the Fury or GCN 1.2 GPU models seem to be doing pretty OK whereas GCN 1.1 and earlier users have reported a number of issues.

Though while I'm still using Afterburner the Wattman settings now controls most GPU functionality - not quite as good or adjustable but serviceable enough for me. - so Afterburner is at the moment mainly with RTSS for overlay support until maybe Afterburner 4.4.0 / RTSS 6.6.0 or whatever the next version will be is released which I'm guessing will have some either fixes or workarounds for some of these issues unless AMD fixes it on their end in a upcoming driver release, guessing there's room for a 16.12.2 driver at least before 17.1.1 or whatever the next driver in 2017 will be called/named/numbered.
    (Well it seems unofficial overclocking mode is usable in AB already but that's a bit advanced for me, still need to learn more before I'm tampering with that.)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  9. dDub

dDub Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    hrmn, well i'm on Nvidia 376.09 drivers. Maybe Nvidia drivers are not working. Also running both games fullscreen.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Battlefield One uses a special compatibility flag since the previous patch changed things around a bit with DX12 but even if they changed that again with this latest update that wouldn't explain why Division is being problematic.

Division does have some issues with DX12 currently where it's either not working for some or working very poorly with data not loading correctly and they completely missed to ship the needed .dll files for the Gameworks effects so HBAO+ and PCSS or HFTS should not be used until that's been fixed, perhaps if you disable those the game will behave a bit better but it's just a suggestion, I'm one of those who can't even get the game started under DX12 so I can't test RTSS 6.6.0b2 with it until they patch it. (The developers are aware about these problems at least.)

Also for general DX12 compatibility you can try setting "InjectionDelayDirect3D12=1" in "Riva Tuner Statistics Server\Profiles\Global" or on a per-profile basis and for BF One you can also try and disable the Origin overlay and see if that works. (The DX12 delay setting should ensure it's compatible though but the Origin client is updated fairly often and thus the overlay functionality might have changed so easiest to try with it disabled.)

in "Global" it looks something like this under the [Hooking] section with everything added to it, you only need to add settings you actually use though.

[Hooking]
    EnableHooking=1
    EnableSynchronization=1
    EnableFloatingInjectionAddress=0
    EnableDynamicOffsetDetection=0
    EnableProxyProtection=1
    CBTFlags=1
    HookLoadLibrary=0
    HookDirectDraw=0
    HookDirect3D8=1
    HookDirect3D8Release=0
    HookDirect3D8ReleaseVT=0
    HookDirect3D9=1
    HookDirect3D9Release=0
    HookDirect3D9ReleaseVT=0
    HookDirect3DSwapChain9Present=1
    HookDXGI=1
    HookDXGISwapChainRelease=1
    HookDirect3D12=1
    HookOpenGL=1
    HookVulkan=1
    InjectionDelay=15000
    InjectionDelayTriggers=igo32.dll,igo64.dll,steam_api.dll,steam_api64.dll
    InjectionDelayBeep=0
    InjectionDelayDirect3D12=1

For setting up the delay feature that's these settigns. ->

InjectionDelay=15000
    InjectionDelayTriggers=igo32.dll,igo64.dll,steam_api.dll,steam_api64.dll
    InjectionDelayDirect3D12=1

15 second delay (Also for DX12) when the presence of igo (Origin in-game overlay.) is detected or the Steam overlay.

Default is actually just the 64-bit files so the 32-bit ones might not even be needed but I added those for completeness.
    (Could also add generic DirectX files for compatibility with e.g ReShade by adding d3d9.dll, dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll or d3d12.dll but you should try to keep it to a minimal from my understanding with the Origin and Steam - UPlay too? - overlays being known to be problematic.)

For Battlefield One the compatibility profile for that also sets this:
    HookDXGISwapChainRelease=0

But I don't think you need to change it, hopefully it's just the overlay being problematic for Battlefield and well I can't really say for sure what's going on with the Division though UPlay does also allow you to disable the overlay feature and if it's via Steam then you'd need this delay function if the Steam overlay is also currently active.
    (I don't need them so I just disable them but they can be useful I suppose.)

Probably made this explanation a bit complicated, primarily you'll want to set up the delay feature in RTSS for compatibility with either third party injectors (If needed, pretty sure ReShade will work regardless though to use that as a example.) and the Steam and Origin overlays are known to have compatibility issues with RTSS 6.5.0 and later now only using the IGO64.dll file so you have to add the Steam one back manually plus set up a delay time.
    (DX12 delay is also off by default so that needs to be enabled which might be the main problem here as both these games were run with D3D12)

EDIT: And it is of course also possible to set this up on a per-profile basis for BF1.exe (Already has a template version with that DXGI swap chain setting.) and TheDivision.exe if you don't want/need to have it as a global setting. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

11. Unwinder

That's really bad idea and quite opposite attempts to tweak it blindly will lead to general DX12 incompatibilities. I strongly do not recommend to alter default value for this setting.
    Due to D3D12 API specifics there is no way to detect D3D12 presentation command queue reliably for single GPU configs (and no way to detect per-GPU AFR command queues at all for SLI/CF) without intercepting D3D12 swap chain creation. Due to that reason some D3D12 specific entry points are restricted to be injected with delay. Forcibly enabling the delay for them will make command queue detection to be heuristic and not working sometimes (for single GPUs) and impossible at all for multi-GPU systems.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Good to know. :)

Guessing that's how it is as a low-level API and since there's only a limited number of DirectX 12 games out at the moment setting up per-profile specific settings for those won't be too difficult while avoiding the "global" profile changes for compatibility.

Single GPU user here and no problems so far but I'll remember this, sounds like it could create various problems for multi-GPU users especially.
    (Well now I better understand why it's not exposed in the RTSS settings screen, and likely why it's a separated setting to begin with.)

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Can you please add the following to the RTSS profile list and set application detection level to non for all? Thanks

iCloudServices.exe

CorsairLink4.exe

OriginThinSetupInternal.exe

14. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    i think all we hope that both new msi ab and amd relive releases will fix the problem but

1) amd has no interest making oc compatibility with other software that is not crimson wattman panel

2) msi ab author says that simply there is no problem and suggest using official overclocking method (and that is ok, i use that) but for many of us it doesn't work or it makes artifacts ingame

15. Unwinder

I have to disappoint you but no MSI AB update for ReLive is planned. New official OverdriveNext API is already fully supported by 4.3.0.

16. Unwinder

Try the following solution, can be the same issue.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So that's what those values are and yeah removing them and restarting Afterburner / RTSS did update the value for I think it was these two? -> "ID3D12CommandQueue::ExecuteCommandLists and "IDXGISwapChain3::ResizeBuffers1" for both 32 and 64 bit.

Interesting, guessing that's something that might be useful to keep in mind whenever MS releases the next cumulative Win10 update. :)
    (And probably especially when the next Win10 build is released, March or whatever the estimated date was again for that, probably late Q1 in any case if it's not delayed further for anything unexpected since it looks like they're starting to wrap it up now.)

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Doesn't crash here. Do you have a Steam version or a Uplay one? I'm running the Uplay one.

19. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    resident evil 7 demo for me produces garbled unreadable OSD. starts off fine, but when player gets control, it looks like a new active OSD overlaps over a frozen version of the same OSD. tried all the various detection levels and OSD rendering modes. 4.3 final with rtss 6.5 injection delay used but steam overlay disabled anyways. user error on my end or others get the same?

20. dDub

dDub Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    i'll give it a try and report back when i get a chance.