Crytek Closes Five Studios (again)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Crytek is closing its studios in Hungary, Bulgaria, South Korea, China, and Turkey, the developer said today. Crytek says they plan to “refocus on its core strengths of developing innovative...

Crytek Closes Five Studios (again)

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Too much ambition didn't work out. Besides a fair share of Cryteks market was their CryEngine related products, however recently we see a steady increase in similar products from competition in this segment, resulting in this. Besides their recent games, and heavy VR influence clearly wasn't that successful.

3. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Just make games that don't suck.

4. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Well hopefully with this whole transition, they can get back to their roots and develop awesome games once more.

5. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    I do not know about you guys, but i think they should try a game in the consoles now that more powerful version some, something like a hack and slash type of game where it displays how good a game can look in the consoles /s

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As we see, growing too fast can also kill a company.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    They charged for the license of Cryengine. So any company that used it to make their games had to pay some pretty heavy royalties to Crytek.

When we have other engines like Unigine which for the most part is free, or has little royalty charges and then you the goliath that is Unreal Engine which charges only 5% and that is only if your game makes over £5,000.

Cryengine also is well and truly out shined in literally every way to Unreal, Unigine, and Frostbite. All seem to be better optimized less resource heavy engines.

It was only a few years ago that one of the lead engine guys left and took a few people with him to work on IDTech6 and DOOM as they all felt they could do better with more freedom. Just look how amazing IDTECH6 is.

8. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Ironic, they no longer have enough power to run Crysis :infinity:

9. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Crytek was years ahead from many other game studios when they made Crysis 1 and they certainly don't deserve what has happened to them. Now they are getting even smaller instead of growing and getting bigger

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Damn, I was not aware they had office in Bulgaria I lived there for a couple of years! (half Bulgarian) Fathers side....I loved the Crysis Games Hope they can make some more Great games like before.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maybe this will finally make them focus on PC gaming and use their engine like it should.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    this.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, I'm sure the Crytek devs are sitting there and actively deciding to make games that suck. That must be it - if only they decided the opposite.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Five studios... That's hubris right there.

15. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    EA probably sucked most of the money out of them , VR i think it be like 3D TV never really take off , in the old days b4 internet you used get a first class story mode campaign , play through it in 2 or 3 weeks then trade game in on the next new release and so on , nowadays with the internet you have online games which people stay on that game and play it for years , and the games market is flooded i think games are gonna get harder to sell you just have these big monster online games which people play everyday for 2 years or so

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ufff :/ , again ... maybe they can refocus and make great games again.

17. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    If Crytek back to FarCry "roots" on time, and create real PC games more than consoles (profit) focused. Then they have chances stay okay.
    Even if they just relase solid Cysis 1 remake.

They was too profit focused.. They want sell too much console versions.. what they did.. and now see how goliath fall down.

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    VR will take off sooner or later. But atm every time I see the words "3D" and "Virtual Reality" I cringe because imo it's to soon. Hardware needs to reach a point where the average joe can run this stuff remotely half decent.

19. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    so now they only have 2 offices?

Just like kinect?
    I think 90% of gamers don't care about VR, it's uncomfortable. Stop reinventing gaming already.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Agreed - it's one thing to make better games or lower the price of the engine, but that's hard to do when you have so many employees to pay and so many upper-management arguing over what should be done and how. From what I noticed, almost every tech company that struggles has way too many people sitting behind desks and not enough people actually doing work.

So, which studios are still active? And, why did they choose the ones they have over the ones they closed? I figure some of them must have been cheaper to operate.