AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 16.12.2 driver download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    please please please have fixed the random but constant driver crash with firefox/waterfox and mpc. soooo dang annoying

3. dejan_ibanez

dejan_ibanez Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290X
    Until they make a driver that support r9 290 series 4k VSR i will not use latest driver. I have to use crimson 16.1 with modded files to have 4k VSR, please unlock 4k VSR for cards that can have that, why did you lock that, I'm so dissapointed in AMD :-(

4. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I will give this driver a try and hopefully they fixed the issue where the RX480 will not work after the install of ReLive.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Awesome driver and no problems to report , keep them coming AMD !

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    First of all, whenever I personally encounter crashes in Firefox, it's because of an extension or an enabled setting that really shouldn't have been. Second, seeing as I never heard of Waterfox, I'm guessing it's not exactly based on stable releases. So, I wouldn't be too quick to point fingers at the drivers unless you have proof that older ones worked. That doesn't mean alternative drivers won't crash, but, that doesn't mean it's AMD's fault either. You can't judge a car's safety by driving off a cliff, so you can't judge the stability of drivers when using unstable software. I don't know what MPC is so no comment there.

If you find yourself with several programs failing to run, you may want to wipe clean all of your drivers and do a fresh new install. Same goes for Firefox itself; there have been a few times where Firefox was giving me issues and the only way to fix it was to reinstall it. Weirdly enough, keeping my extensions didn't repeat the problem.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    How bout you learn how to use DDU to make 4k downsampling work.
    Have fun not having the newer support on drivers as well as they run alot better then 16.1 did on my 290x.

I have 3440x1440@80hz and 3840x1600@60hz working on my 21:9 2560x1080@60hz and it has no VSR support.

Its not hard to do.

The internal scaler of the 290 is limited vs the newer cards, hence why newer GCN cards after 290 can support 4k VSR.

8. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    um no the last driver release 16.12.1 was the issue. all other driver versions worked fine. and so far this one is working fine. and watefox is the 64bit version of firefox before firefox went 64bit. (still works better then firefox honestly). also 16.12.1 was crashing when using mpc = media player classic (how can you not know that either?). so yea i can judge it. and i always do a clean wipe of drivers and ddu.
    it all had to do with video play back in a browser or player and the drivers. (guess i should have been more clear on issue)

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    What do you mean "either"? Nothing you said is obvious or common knowledge. As you have already stated, Firefox already has 64 bit builds. Since I primarily use Linux, I've had access to 64 bit Firefox for years, so I've had no reason to encounter Waterfox.

Anyway, I didn't know what mpc was because most people don't use it. Most people use either the "modern" Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, VLC, Kodi, or some media-specific application (like PowerDVD).

10. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    lol Alot of people here on Guru3d use MPC its the media player of choice for hardware enthusiasts you might want to doing a bit of reading on it

And I had the same issue Criceseye its the drivers this new one resolves those issues I spent all last night throwing youtube and mpc at the new drivers just to be sure

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I know what it is... there are articles here where it is featured. I just never see it abbreviated...

As for being "the media player of choice for hardware enthusiasts", that's a bold claim. MPC is great for stuff like 4K video playback or fresh new codecs that other programs may be slow to support. But the vast majority of people (including PC enthusiasts) don't care or have abundant access to that stuff. It gets pretty old when people act like having a 1440p+ display, a GTX 1070, an i7 K series, and 16GB of RAM is a healthy minimum; having fancy stuff doesn't make you an enthusiast.
    Anyway when it comes to Windows, your codecs have more to do with your results than the application itself. For example, some issues people have with VLC in Windows that don't happen in MPC also don't happen in Mac or Linux. Sometimes it's the other way around. When using a VR headset, some codecs/plugins allow quicker time selections while others offer smoother playback, even on the same video and same application. Since MPC is relatively so barebones, it's much easier to eliminate other variables that could be interfering with playback. I'm not trashing MPC here, but it doesn't cater to all enthusiasts either.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc

um firefox did not have 64 bit versions for years. it was always 32 bit till dec 15 2015 (and it wasnt good till months later). if it was for linux and you primarily use linux then why even try to help (cause you didnt you just argued obviously not knowing). or in my opinion tried to belittle.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Over the years, there have been several iterations of 64 bit Firefox in Windows, though most of them weren't long lived nor stable. To my knowledge, the nightly builds also supported 64 bit for years.

The argument about 64 bit builds don't matter. The only reason it's part of the discussion (and the fact that the Linux 64 bit version has always worked fine) was to clarify my reasoning for not knowing about Waterfox. My point was that if you're using potentially unstable software, you can't be so quick to blame drivers when things stop working. Firefox in general is not exactly known for being both stable and a good performer at the same time. There's a reason why Firefox hasn't consistently had stable 64 bit Windows releases for so long...

14. silverbath

silverbath Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX R9 380X 4GB
    Hey guys, please would anyone check if these drivers have options such as brightness, contrast, color etc. in it's additional settings? Thanks for your reply :)

[​IMG]

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I thought it did? At least from previous versions of Crimson, they had chunks of the old CCC around for stuff like that.

But, you don't need that anyway:
    http://www.howto-connect.com/adjust-brightness-and-contrast-on-windows-10-desktop/

16. el etro

el etro Guest

GPU:
    RX 470 Triple-X
    VSR capabilities for GPUs before Tonga(R9 285) is half of the ones after Tonga. Tonga pushes 1920x1080 to 4x, R290 just does half of it.

17. silverbath

silverbath Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX R9 380X 4GB
    Well 16.12.1 didn't have it and I need it because I'm using Windows 7 ;). I stick with the 16.11.5 for now. In every major driver update they just disable these settings, I don't know the reason why.

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Start -> Run... -> "dccw" -> Enter -> :banana:

19. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    DAum Potplayer over MPC anytime. I do have both but I just dont use MPC...Why would I? It's less...

edit: AMD update from their "radeon settings" says I have the latest driver (16.12.1)...What gives? :3eyes: oh well...AMD...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  20. chewie

chewie Member

GPU:
    Visiontek R9 280x 3GB
    The damn UVD lock bug is back in versions 16.12.x. Why can't they fix this permanently? It's so annoying. Also, I used to be able to disable the video card in Device Manager, Display Adapters, and then reenable it and that would get rid of the UVD lock. But now when I disable the card my screen goes black and stays like that. Nothing I can do but restart pc. I don't know why I can't see the screen anymore after disabling the card. Shouldn't the generic windows vga driver kick in?

Edit: Figured out why the screen stayed black. It was because my integrated Intel HD 3000 was also enabled in Device Manager. I guess the PC tried to switch over to that driver after disabling the AMD card. Disabling Intel card fixed it. Still have the UVD bug but at least I don't have to restart my pc to reset it now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017