Delidded Core i7 7700K runs 26 Degrees C cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2016.

1. AnkaMusik

AnkaMusik Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT630M 2GB
    Out of the AnandTech article

EDIT:
    Out of curiosity I googled 7700k delid and saw a number of websites reporting on my findings of the 30 degree temp drop, but were unsure on cooling method in both tests so thought I should clarify: The before and after tests were 100% identical (with exception of delid) to isolate the delid, both tests used:

The same cooler at the same setting: Kraken X62 - Fan @ 50% and pump at @ 65% (by the way, this cooler is only about 3 degrees cooler than the H110i, but has better config available)
    Exactly the same BIOS settings - which was a x50 multiplier and voltage offset with LLC level 2 resulting in a stable 1.344v under prime 95 load
    Memory stock (C15) and Uncore stock.
    Prime 95 v27.9 run for 15 minutes in both tests.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    People keep saying it's the TIM Intel is using, it's not.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-20°c-at-4-7ghz.2261855/page-23#post-34053183

The IHS adhesive they use on the edges is too thick and creates a gap. Pulling the IHS off, removing the adhesive on the IHS and reseating it with the same TIM is just as effective as replacing the TIM.

They need to find a different way to mount he IHS onto the CPU without the gap. They stopped using solder because they found that multiple thermal cycles on smaller die chips were causing voids/micro cracks in the solder - dropping thermal connectivity and in some cases completely severing the connection of the chip to the solder.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I have a hard time believing that intel would overlook something as simple as Ihs spacing after 3 generations of cpus, something else must be afoot , even kaveri apus that use tim aren't that bad.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm sure they know about it, but I doubt they would care. The market of people that overclock their CPU to the point where it would even make a difference is like nothing to them. Other then that it's performing within spec. Even the guy with this, he got what - 200mhz out of delidding it and basically said even there its kind of unstable. And if that processor can run for like 5 years or whatever Intel's shooting for in terms of longevity within spec, then why would they spend millions refitting their fabrication plants? The E platform chips are still soldered, so in their mind most enthusiasts are covered anyway.

I'm not saying I agree with it - but from their perspective its probably a non-factor.

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well said!

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    They alter the package quite often, skylake for example uses a thinner package, devils canyon also uses a revised package.

Forgivable for a locked i7/i5 but if you're charging extra for an unlocked multiplier / no heatsink seems like the least you could do is not include an extra 0.6mm of space or use a liquidmetal compound.

I also don't buy the small die solder issues either since the core 2 chips had tiny dies and it never posed a major issue,
    [​IMG]
    (q9650, essentially 2x e8600 dies, e8600 is also soldered)

[​IMG]
    (6700k delid)

the pcb for both cpus is 37.5mmx37.5mm, it would appear the skylake die is roughly same size or slightly larger than a 45nm core 2 duo.

Though I suppose you are right since intel is a profit driven company. every penny matters.:p

7. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    His testing and methodology is flawed, these results are totally meaningless. It is absolute nonsense to suggest those kind of drops just with a delid. If you believe it then you're a donut.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    How do you make sure that you don't hear the horrible "crunching" sound when you apply the heatsink? I got a bit anxious just by reading it. I had killed a Thunderbird with a bad HSF back in the day :p

There is no f*cking way that you load 18 cores with an H105 and you get 30C loading, unless you are a climate scientist in Antarctica and the CPUs are out.

9. mrmak

mrmak Guest

GPU:
    Palit Gtx 760
    No one seems to be asking one simple question. Was that i7 7700k an ES, QS or OEM? Because the quality between those three varies a lot. Also, I've seen this article on at least 10-15 different sites. Do a little research before posting things like these.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I wonder how many people wreck their cpu's after reading cack like this.

Delidding is great for overclockers, but, seriously, if it means going from something like 4.5 to 4.6/4.7...it's not worth it and you likely won't notice the difference. For enthusiasts and dedicated overclockers only. They put a lid on it for a reason...to stop the cores getting cracked when installing heat-sinks, due to uneven pressure.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Not many people have the nerve to delid. I think it will be ok.

Also most of the time these days people don't go bare die, they just replace the TIM and put the ihs back on like the guy that did this delid, he replaced the tim with liquid ultra.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

looks like a retail sample btw

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yeah, I'm in agreement. Something doesn't seem right. My tinfoil hat is making my head itch. :nerd:

OTOH, when I delided my 4790k and used the liquid ultra TIM , i did get a 13c temp drop at full load compared to before.

13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I got an 18C improvement deliding my 4790k.

The 7700k is a different CPU which they were running at 5ghz. They may have been testing a CPU that had a particularly bad fitting lid and TIM.

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I would say in yours case you will benefit from delidding yours..
    What vCore are you running,I've run i7-4790k at 4.5Ghz or 4.6Ghz and my temps in rendering has been OK around 70°C but in stress tests my temps has been in low 80's to middle 80's this has been on H100i v2, wish I tried that chip with NH-D15, because switching from H100i v2 to NH-D15 on my i7-5820k has allowed me to run 4.5Ghz or 4.6Ghz with same temps like 4.4GHz on H100i v2, right now I'm hitting at 4.5Ghz 61-62°C at PKG on i7-5820k during the rendering and with 4.4GHz I've hit 72°C during the same render session

I've never delidded mine i7-4790k, wish I done that, but I sold it as I never been haly with performance in rendering as has been slightly slower than my old X5670

But as many people done that, I would say you should be able gain on temperature front and on voltage, hard to say,but looks like you have

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

15. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I'm with you!