Nintendo Switch Gets Tegra-soc With Maxwell GPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Nintendo Switch would be using a Tegra-soc with Maxwell GPU according to two anonymous sources at GamesBeat. The choice for an 'older' architecture would have been made to be able to produce th...

Nintendo Switch Gets Tegra-soc With Maxwell GPU

2. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Nintendo cheaps out on hardware shocker!!!

No doubt it will sell well to the Nintendo cult fan boys who will buy any old crap if it has the Nintendo badge on it, but it will be a complete irrelevance to everyone else and the wider console market.

It's a turd, end of story.

3. nekrik

nekrik Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti Msi gaming X
    So at 1000Mhz GPU clock we speak about 500 Gflops FP32 even when docked to render games at 1080p 30fps ? For portable mode it's ok with it's 720p resolution. For docked desktop console: Get ready for mid 20s fps!
    Wiiu is around 352 Gflops so it's about 30% faster ? Disappointed if true!

4. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    First of all this sounds more like a speculation until it is officially announced. And second - you are the turd here, this thing is well beyond the 3DS that I use in bed or when im at my summer house.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    All the negativity on this forum recently.

6. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Hmm let's see. I've just spent a 1000+ euros on a gaming pc. Do you know what I have to do next? That's right spend another ~600 euro on a PS4 or Xbox.

Or maybe consider the people who don't have the disposable income to justify buying your "better" console.

If the wii taught us anything it's that there is a market for a lower budget console.

7. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    And if the WiiU taught us anything it's that people won't buy an underpowered, overpriced turd a second time.

..and they sure as hell won't for a third.

This console will only sell to the Nintendo cult.

8. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    100% Give them a Turd wrapped in white with Nintendo label they'll buy.

Nintendo is the only one going against accepted trend that you initially sell hardware at loss like MS and Sony do each time.
    Nintendos new president said that he wants to make money selling consoles and that he wont sell them at loss.
    And thats why Switch will be using the cheapest parts possible, 720p 10cent screen, antiquated GPU and 4gb of ram

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maxwell card in 2017 console? Just no.

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    They will just revise it down the road, just like what they did with the NEW Nintendo ***** I don't see the big deal. Pascal is more or less maxwell.

11. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    It's incredible how much the console market has changed in the last 10-15 years. They kept yelling the PC is "ded" and yet the console market is the one that's fallen off to the point where every console manufacturer can no longer make consoles that sell at a loss on launch any more. First that laughable amd jaguar apu and now this, something about all this is making me smile :nerd:

Mobile spec/tier/diesize maxwell, doubt they could get a big desktop spec maxwell to fit/cool in that tiny handheld thingy

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  12. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    If the people who bought consoles cared about power then they wouldn't buy consoles, they'd get pcs, a consoles lives and dies by the games that release on it. The wii u flopped because there were no good games, if this has good release games then it will be fine.

13. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Making it not as capable as the PS4 or Xbone is an odd decision. You would think Nintendo would think hey... lets make a console that is as powerful as or more powerful than a Playstation/Xbox and just dominate the whole market. 3rd party games/everything the top consoles have AND Nintendo games, what a thought... I mean how much more expensive would it be. I bet not that much and for something that people keep and play games with over several years, why not spend a little more. Why is this even a decision to make, should be obvious? :infinity: :bang:

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I can't look at this with my "big cock" PC glasses on because if I did, then, I'd have to say all consoles are crap for over a decade.

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since N64 and my last desktop console was the dreamcast. Hand-helds, my last Nintendo handheld was the GB Advance. I do have a PS Vita and that's it.

Going into this, I know exactly what I'm buying with the Switch. It's for a very specific set of games. I don't care about ports. Skyrim doesn't impress me. TBH, I don't care about Zelda much either.

I want Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, DK, Pikachu and crew etc so me and my kids (2 and 5) can enjoy some simple gaming.

I'll stick to my PC when I need "big cock" gaming.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nah, it will be just fine. Pascal's main attraction seems to be higher clocks speeds which wouldn't make that much more sense in a handheld device. You also need to consider that hardware for consoles needs to be verified at least a year or more before any actual release. I wouldn't be surprised if actual development of release titles started three or more years ago.

16. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    True, I'd really only want the Nintendo titles if I was to get one. Just confuses me why they don't just get on the level, so people that only want to have a console, can have it all. Maybe this time it will happen to some extent at least, which is progress lol.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A relatively fast gaming PC and a Switch sound like the perfect gaming combo to me.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Looking at it as a Vita owner, it's definately a nice step-up.

For graphics whore, there is this trailer for Seasons of Heaven (very short);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3oHBXB25KQ

which is fine for a hand-held/hybrid and yes, it looks like it'll also be 30fps (shrugs).

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Are you people serious? 256-core Maxwell GPU in 2017 (mobile) is crap. Switch will struggle with simplest games at 1080p.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    "Oh great, Maxwell. I guess that means this product is a failure"
    ~ forum members

As usual, forum members here are severely misinformed how gaming consoles work. Just because they are similar to PCs, that doesn't mean they're operated like one.

Also, it's not Nintendo's fault for using Maxwell. The GPU is arguably the most important part of a gaming system. Do you really think it makes sense for them to just change up the hardware at last minute? This isn't a Windows PC. Nintendo isn't magically supplied all the drivers for a processor Nvidia hasn't worked on extensively enough (implying the Tegra chip). Not to mention, they're using a very specific OS on a platform that (to my knowledge) Pascal hasn't been ported to yet.

Sure, Pascal is noticeably better but Maxwell is still a great architecture. In terms of performance, the Switch is still better than just about anything else for a handheld device.

EDIT:
    You could argue Nintendo's greatest mistake was releasing too much info about the Switch too early. If they waited longer, they could've gone with Pascal and not worry about competition. On the other hand, Nintendo had no reason to know Pascal was going to be as good was it was, so perhaps in their eyes the wait wasn't worth it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016