What can be removed out of a nVidia driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Q6600, Dec 7, 2016.

1. T_R_V

T_R_V Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 Super
    Please don't post bs like that when you clearly have no idea! The driver will not install, if you remove something the installer requires.

Just remove everything from the unpacked archive like shown on the above screenshot posted by -Tj- and you will be save and no telemetry stuff, GFE, 3Dvision or other crap will land on your disk. You can even remove HDAudio and Physx, if you do not want to update/reinstall those drivers.

[​IMG]

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    And the next time you'll want to install something on top of that installation it will fail because it will require for some files to be present in the previous one. The only person posting BS here is you, I'm afraid.

You're certainly free to do whatever you want but since this hardly helps anything at all and does lead to potential issues you must understand this as well.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And those new/previous missing files like?
    If its just driver it won't need anything extra.

I've been doing this type of installing since R280+ and it didn't fail on me yet.

4. scaramonga

scaramonga Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 W/C
    Which is something I would never do regardless, as I install all my driver sets afresh, with the removed bloat beforehand. So that load of nonsense you just spouted, does not apply.

There are no potential issues cutting out the bloat, never has been, never will. It's down to user choice, simple as that. You either want bloated trash running on your system, or you don't, take your pick. :)

The usual Derp3D scaremongering is rife in this thread, more than normal.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Although the driver package size is large - 1 GB uncompressed, I believe - they don't actually use that much in the way of system resources in my experience. For example, on my system where I opt out of installing the two 3D Vision modules because I have no use for them, the NVIDIA processes are consuming just 120 MB of memory in total and 0% CPU usage.

6. T_R_V

T_R_V Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 Super
    Never had issues with installing new drivers using that method, installation did not fail a single time.
    Of course removing crap files next time before installing new drivers is a wise move and selecting "clean install" is also recommended.

Anyway, if you want to keep your system free of nVidia telemetry, GFE services, 3D vision (unless you use is) and other useless stuff running in the background, you will remove those folders from your setup.
    If you don't care about crappy background services running all the time and are too afraid to remove "something really important", you can just keep express install and ignore recommendations from people, who clearly know such things better.

OP (Q6600) asked what crap can be removed from the driver and your previous answer did not help.

cookieboyeli likes this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Unless you use something, its a bloatware, hence in my Windows 10, literally everything that can be disabled, i disable/ delete.

Modern PC's are fast, however even on SSD/ fast processor/ fast gpu's all of the stuff running in a background consumes resources, so disabling it, even if it gives you extra 1% of performance, does make sense.

Hence why i disagree with people that say bah its just 1%, sure 1% is hard to notice, however if you optimise your syste services which gives you 1% extra performance, optimise driver settings is another 1%, OC GPU another 1% ( or more), OC Cpu 1%, Ram 1% e.t.c.

Due to that i personally think that alone, it wont do much, however optimisations combined is what you have to aim for. If the result is 5-7% faster overall performance on same system before tweaking is a good justification for such an effort.

So if you can improve driver performance simply by deleting bloatware from installer, why the hell not. :nerd:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    cookieboyeli likes this.
  8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What you will do and won't do doesn't interest me in the slightest. I always just install a driver on top of another one and for the last 15 or so years I've had maybe one or two cases where this lead to any kind of problems. That "bloat" is there for a reason.

You can't. There are literally no benefits in deleting anything from the installer. You're just spending your time doing a meaningless task because of your OCD. That's just a fact.

9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I delete everything highlighted, but if vcredist 2013 is already installed, you could also delete MSVCRT (I leave it just in case). I suppose you could nuke PhysX too if you don't want it.

[​IMG]

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I was referring to "driver" as a whole package, OCD is denying that removing driver features which are never used by you/your hardware which simply float in the background. That's my fact.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Your saying that a reason regardless of it's purpose is the correct and only valid reason?

I too install the driver without stripping it, but that does not mean that it is better than the way -Tj- and others install it.

Time to lay of the vodka?

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    But if you don't have Nv container service running you can't use NV control panel, I guess you only use NV Inspector ?

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    that msvcrt can be deleted as well.. Its visualc++ for 3dvision, gfe if im not mistaken.

Edit: nvm I see you - AntiSnipe mentioned it.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Stripping anything is completely pointless, it gives zero benefits compared to just choosing what's needed in the setup process. So sure they may continue this, nobody's stopping them, but it's something which I would probably keep to myself, as an STD or something.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    3dvision sometimes glitched modern apps or windows aero in general, update was also buggy sometimes glitching in registry or missing try icon, I tested GFE shadowplay 2-3x and I always end up uninstalling it., it didn't work by few apps where e.g. msi ab quicksync/or nvec worked fine., don't use multi monitor so no need for nview, etc..

Why its a disease or disorder?
    Someone else can have such issues too and this way you can easily remove it without going trough all the trouble later.

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    nv cpanel works fine with the method in the post that you replied to. i've tested it several times. But I personally don't bother with it, as after extensive testing, I found no benefits from the manual installation versus just unticking the unneeded stuff in the official installer.

I get several more autoruns entries, but as far as performance and stability go, no difference. not even the slightest. Maybe it would help people in the extreme low end PC range, but even that is probably a stretch.

It really just comes down to the personal OCD level of each user. if it bothers you that something is there in the background, use the manual install. no point otherwise.

17. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    The NV service (and Vulkan and PhysX) still gets installed and CP works. Just no back end, telemetry, GFE, virtual audio, 3d vision garbage.

And for those saying it's ocd with no benefit...I say, BS. If nothing else, I don't have to store that bloated package of useless junk on my backup drive. Just a much smaller compressed archive of the stuff I actually use. Also leaving it all there and selecting only what you want during install, does not give you all the options to not install most of it.

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, cause I stopped that service and CP didn't run.
    BTW, I don't have backend, only thing I do have is the telemetry (I do clean install and unselect everything but driver, physicx and audio (I don't really need that as i don't use HDMI).

19. T_R_V

T_R_V Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 Super

I'm sorry to prove you wrong again, but you can of course not deselect every peace of bloatware during extended installation.

You can deselect:
    - 3D Vision controller
    - 3D Vision driver
    - HD Audio
    - GFE
    - Physx

You can not deselect:
    - Nview
    - Optimus
    - display update
    - Miracast VirtualAudio
    - MSVCRT (will only install, of not present)
    - nodejs (NVIDIA Web Helper)
    - NvBackend (this crap runs as a Windows background service)
    - NvCamera
    - NvContainer
    - NvTelemetry (runs all the time in the background, preforms checks/reports on hourly basis)
    - NvVAD
    - ShadowPlay
    - ShieldWirelessController
    - Update.Core

mezball likes this.
  20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    but thats not right either, all that stuff you list there in bottom list won't get installed if you do what you say in first part.

As that is what i do and I don't have all of them. Yes, NVtelemetry is there. I do have 5 scheduler nv tasks
    NVIDIA Profile Updater
    NVIDIA telemetry monitor
    NVIDIA crash and telemetry reporter

And servises, the NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem