Will nvidia should give us "magic driver" aka amd crimson ect?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    They should give us a completely new Control Panel and maybe rewrite the whole driver to make it more efficient.

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Control panel yes, driver wise easier said then done.

it is achievable, however tremendous amounts of work. Literally like constructing a new building.

Does Not mean that Nvidia should Not do something like that, on the contrary i fully agree that they are in a way stagnating on a driver front.

Nvidia makes insane amount of income lately due to domination, so they can easily invest into a larger driver development team.

Main focus should be made towards integration of Driver compatibility into new API's (Dx12/ Vulkan) and making it as easily available for developers to integrate them.

SLI needs a whole overhaul, currently its disgusting.

Gsync needs to be optimised to work in Windowed / Borderless.

3. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    :bigsmile:

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I am all for a UI change, this 2002 crap is boring. It hasn't changed since I had my old 6800GT!!!!

Maybe integrate it with GFE but have two options, a "beginner" and an "advanced user" option.

Inside the "beginner" option it is basically how GFE is now, you click 1 button and it "optimizes" your games that it detects (this needs some work too as it doesn't detect every game).

Then in the "advanced user" option have it more like how it is now, but prettier :)

Maybe even go the whole nine yards and have an "enthusiast" option. In this option they could merge all the features of Inspector into the drivers too :)

Obviously depending on what version you install the install size will be different so you don't have to install a 1GB driver every time you update.

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I know, right?

[​IMG]

Just look at this **** with tabs on the bottom and settings hidden below invisible vertical scroll bars. It's really something made not on this planet UX wise.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    What are you talking about? NVidia has had hardware based VP9 decoding support in the entire Pascal lineup, and it works great, especially with the Edge browser.

Chrome's implementation isn't as efficient as Edge's, but there's nothing new about that. Edge has always had the best hardware acceleration, much like Internet Explorer..

7. deathroned

deathroned Guest

GPU:
    rus I hope you know, he is actually laughing at you, not with you mocking AMD.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I dunno, the crimson ui is fairly competent, and it takes less than 5 secs to open , edit a profile and exit, only takes 5-6 clicks.

Helping someone navigate the radeon settings is also far easier
    in my experience than explaining nvcp to the uninitiated.

Functionally I would say radeon settings is superior now aswell since nvidia no longer supports ntune/coolbits and the recording relive stuff is pretty decently integrated into the ui and is optional.

The minimalist style isn't my cup of tea, but its definitely well designed for ease of use and speed.

If the nvidia control panel was fast then I would have no problems with it, but its damn slow, I feel like nobody at nvidia has even touched it since i had a 8500gt.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats the problem. Nvidia control panel is slow af. It takes 10sec to apply the new settings and besides that looks like some app from 2005.

In Crimson everything respond instantly.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It doesnt, only 1st time when you open it and only in driver gfx settings menu when it scans game profiles in the backround.

EDIT: I opened it now after reboot and it applied settings right away in global profile. Its 50min since last restart.

I think cache was introduced a bit later, r34x.xx. I think. The biggest boost with r337+ was mosty by bigger drawcalls, vertex buffers, and some extra driver api buffers. I have that pic somwhere, will have to check out later, atm on phone.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-337-88-whql-watch-dog-drivers

it was already in r337 (scroll down for info about shader cache) ;)

IIRC r337 was marketed as the "super" driver bringing performance to new level vs. previous ones (due to API improvements+cache mainly).

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah right, its been a long time.. but, cache is not really a boost feature, other values were more "important", cache is mostly to eliminate stutters

EDIT:
    index, vertex buffers, drawcalls and others. They can extend these more, no doubt.

[​IMG]

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I totally understand that rewriting a driver from the ground up is a huge task, especially since nVidia boasts that the nV driver has more lines of code than Windows. But that's still no excuse for a huge company like nVidia and the way I see it, a new driver would be great PR and just strengthen their GeForce brand.

I don't think that anything can be done about SLI since the problem seems to be the ever more complex 3D engines (every game has its own proprietary engine).

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Of course they can, more communication with developers; development of a specific sli related simplification codes which can be injected as a package into developers software requiring minimum amounts of work from software developer.

Steps like that will boost sales their GPU's once SLI will be a thing again. Currently barely anything properly supports SLI.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah I remember that slide, and true cache doesn't boost performance as such.

16. Vladimir545

Vladimir545 Member

GPU:
    6800xt Red Devil
    1)Need to clean the code,rewrite to make the panel Easier/More useful, functional and Faster. Less memory consumption.

2) whole driver distribution files smaller,gfe and telemetry separate component or options off/on during installation

3)MORE improve the optimal power saving mode in windows 10. Less shuttering more stability framerate.

4)Add Msi mode by default, or the chance option during the installation of driver. What we are can choose Irq or Msi -and do better support for Msi.

5)FIX OLD BUGS IN realese notes, Add new features,and DO testing WHQL realeses better-no need to release a driver every 2 weeks!!! Let it be a month or 2 but the release will be great.

But in NVIDIA personal vision of what should be the driver.

Better to do every day WHQL with oblivious bugs)). The market leader relaxed because he is the leader.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Would be interesting if nv compared old 337 vs 376 scenario like its shown in this chart.

when I started to benchmark dx11 api overhead, r340 > r447 > r350 > 353 were some interesting boosts. The fastest was 353.52 with 2.58mill and 2.45million, I think one r367.xx came close again, r370 and early r375 are somewhere in the middle, but faster by dx12 ~2mill compared to older r367 or r365.

And I was seeing this boost in ROTR dx12 mostly by Geothermal Valley, r362 was the first 1st bigger, then 2nd by r367, now after r375.xx its the same..

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Ye i wonder why that hasn't gotten an overhaul yet.

19. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I don't agree with only releasing drivers every 2 weeks, nobody is forcing you to install every version and this way they can get game support and SLI support for new releases instead of waiting for weeks with a busted game. I've had that experience with AMD numerous times, it's not fun.

20. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I agree. AMD has fixed their release schedules and we are getting drivers within a week of big game releases now. I remember it took months for FC4 to get a CF profile which was really unacceptable considering it wasn't even a new engine.