NVIDIA Bundling Indie VR Games With GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    Now that's a move that doesn't make much sense to me.. Buy a low-budget (mainstream) card, now bundled with games for your early adopter enthusiast device.

3. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    And since when is a 300 EUR card a low-budget card? :)

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    He's referring to the 1050 and 1050ti which are £100-£200 products (so ~€120-€240).

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    exept the one that is on NVidia's shop at 319Euro the most expensive one is 219Euro (for more performance as they are factory OC compared to NV's one)...

6. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    In that case I agree. But they probably just want to "grab" more buyers by implementing these VR games into a bundle, nothing more than that.

7. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    i thought 1070 and up was recommended for VR

8. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt

I think the 1060 can do VR, but at low quality to get 90fps synced. But no way a 1050 can function well for VR. That doesn't make any sense.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Depends on the game and if it's making use of Nvidia's various VR technologies. The 1060 was borderline VR ready according to Valve's VR benchmark thingy - but AFAIK it wasn't utilizing single pass stereo or lens matched shading, which Nvidia estimates can lead up to 50% additional performance based on the scene.

The other thing is that there is going to be a difference between indie VR experiences/ games vs full blown 3D titles and AAA experiences. My Google Pixel XL runs various VR games/demos/experiences just fine, so obviously if those are ported to PC, a 1050 would also run those applications just fine. A title like Eve Valkyrie, or Elite Dangerous is a completely different animal.

I personally feel like Nvidia/AMD/VR hardware devs/game developers should build a scale, where you can easily see what hardware will work good with what games/experiences. Plus when cheaper, future VR hardware comes out, you can make a judgement on what VR hardware should be paired up with graphics hardware and stuff, so you're not overspending in either direction.

Edit: I imagine this will be part of Microsoft's push for VR with the creators update/redstone 3.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  10. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    You just do not understand, new games what have hard times play at decent rate on 1080 will play fluently in VR on 1050, they put better card with lower number cause they want get double profit ;-) everyone will buy higher number but no, zonnk, it is 1050 what is better