AMD to Host New Horizon ZEN processor Event mid December

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Good catch, I didn't remember that. I can't think of any other title though, and CS:GO already gets insane framerates.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    All 3 of the cards you mention are quite good cards so you just come off ignorant with this statement.

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    My elderly CPU and I are doing this for the next 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    As do us with the nearly-7-year-old CPUs... :p

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Raider0001
    the fact that you're saying the 970 has 3.5gb (you werent talking about vram speeds) makes you look like a fan boy, or a person that doesnt know the difference between GB and MHz.
    last time i checked, 3.5 +0.5 is still 4gb, no matter the speed.

and 8gb on cards that are slower than a 980/1070, are a waste of money, since the card will not have enough HP to actually run UHD res at framerates that can be played (and make use of more than 4-6gb ram).
    thats one reason, why the 1060 has plenty enough with 6gb.

At least i have yet to see any 1080p/1440p games using more than 4-5gb of vram.
    and no, those one or two modded games that do, dont count, since thats not what +80% of gamers will mess with.

Lets say it the other way:
    how many times did amd say they will beat intel with the new product?
    how many times was it tru?
    how many times did amd/ati say they will beat Nv?
    how many times did they actually?
    going back till around 2000, how many times did they deliver?

amd cried wolf too many times.
    the 13th will show if i will ever buy amd again.

i had 1 intel rig in the 15y im building computers, so "intel-fan" doesnt work with me...

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's funny how in the above paragraph you mock people for supposedly not knowing something, and proving that you have no clue what you're talking about in the next one.
    First you don't understand that the whole point of the local memory for a GPU is the speed. If you want slow speed and high latency, you work with RAM, and that last half gig on the 970 is slower than the PCIe bus + RAM in a modern platform. NVIDIA also lied about ROPs and L2 cache with the 970. I won't beat the dead horse more, but the whole argument is retarded, and it also shows in the continuation about "horsepower". The amount of VRAM is irrelevant to most of the rendering going on. It's very relevant to the amount of assets you want to have close, so you avoid loading from the main memory and getting stutter.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    that pic and ur avatar pic :grin: :D

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Intel do the same thing. If they did give concrete info you would just be saying it's cherry picked.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    yes, i do know about that, but that wasnt his argument.
    he was stating the card has 3.5gb, and not, 3.5gb + slower 0.5.

and i never mocked anyone, just sayin it looks to me "you're" either a fanboy or dont know much about gpus/hardware by stating it has only 3.5gb.
    my point is, looking at physical vram, the card has 4gb, not more, not less.
    if you wanna mock nv/970, then at least reference to the real problem (speed), not something that is completely false.

and for "HP", this way everyone knows what im talking about...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Alright. Still, for all intents and purposes, and normal use, that card is really a 3.5GB card. Yeah it helps that the 0.5GB is there, but the driver has to adapt to it, as well as the games used for the card. Owners are lucky that the card has a huge (and justified, NVIDIA shenanigans aside) user base.

It's not even like half the speed of the rest, it's 1/7. It also has 1792kb L2 (instead of 56), and 52 ROPs (instead of 64). Its launch was a disgrace, honesty wise.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I blame the pr people, they probably would have lauched the 970 as a 224bit card if they didn't think the lower number was going to hurt sales.

Having to refund all those people and creating a partial software workaround, probably wasn't worth including the extra 512mb memory chip for marketing purposes lmao.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Good news :)

13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    The Cheshire Cat from American McGee's Alice...... rather old now, but still a great (albeit very quirky) character in that game.

14. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Can't wait to see what Zen is capable off. We all need something new and refreshing as AMD "Zen" :)

15. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    people lets support amd this time so we can get global cheaper prices on all fronts

16. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    What about the speed ? 0.5GB on that card is a system memory speed not vram it is pointless to mention that.
    Memory a waste of moneys ? how about 1060 with 8GB, 1070 with 12 and 1080 with 16 ? why those cards have memory from 2015 ?

How much did nvidia pay for 0.5GB ? and how much would it be if u multiply it up to 4.5GB ?

There are no games that actually use 8GB of vram right now and up scaling a given texture doesn't necessarily up scale its capacity. But some day there will be, and lossless compression will not help. Horse power for any given game can be adjusted - u just turn off the filtering like motion blur, and then u will look at games designed to run on a 8GB 1070 with a card that cost half as much, all of the sharpness will stay with u.

17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think the 8GB VRAM on a 390x is gonna come in useful in the near future, not even at the UHD 4K resolutions you mention, I think at lower res that 8GB will be used. I think the 8GB will be a good match for that card in the near future. VRAM usage in games has really accelerated in recent years, and it always tends to surprise people & me. When I first had my 670MX 3GB VRAM laptop (2013) I thought 3GB was gonna be pure overkill, but it really came in useful in recent years, making the card more viable than more powerful 2GB VRAM 680M cards - you gotta make sure you have enough VRAM!

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    We are only 7 days away for the big event , i will be watching !

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Hey guys, stop it.

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm going to try to tune in to if I can too. I know allot will be marketing hype, but I hope to glean some more useful info and perhaps something more concrete about pricing and dates etc. :nerd: