NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If I go in a corner and look down, yeah, I get 4000FPS at 16K too.

You play normally, you get to deal with severe FPS drops.

Drops.

You know, the word that means "it was high before, and now it's low; it *dropped*." And at 1080p, you get dropped to 40FPS. That is a fact.

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I don't go in a corner and look down.
    This opening scene is actually quite demanding in Dreamfall due to the lighting effects.

These screens were just taken to prove SLI scaling works well.
    In most scene my FPS is significantly higher ~ 70-90 FPS or thereabouts.
    Certainly there are drops, but SLI still scales well and the game is perfectly playable with 60 Hz G-Sync (4K Asus PG27AQ monitor).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  3. Hello everyone i was wondering if theres a way to make Counter strike 1.6 more enjoyable? or more smooth in terms of antialising or something? i really im a fan of counter strike 1.6 already registered over 10k hours in steam :/

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Have you tried SGSSAA?

Download latest Inspector version from here:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts

And then just select the "Counter-Strike" profile and just set the "Anti-aliasing - Combined" setting to "Override | 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA", like this:

http://i.imgur.com/ehjcN5a.png

Hit "Apply" and start the game. Also try "Override | 4x OGSSAA" instead. Or higher than 4x if you want. Though the higher you set it, the less FPS you'll get.

5. Thanks for your comment, i already download that version but seems like when i type in the search box games, it only appears:

Counter-strike Online
    Counter strike Global Offensive
    Counter strike Source
    http://prntscr.com/dc8kwh

The thing is i have Steam counter strike 1.6 but the only way to play that game is opening through steam and of course it will loaded the hl.exe
    Was wondering how can i make my nvidia inspector reconigze counter strike 1.6 like in your picture? example Counter strike/hl.exe ?
    Sorry for my bad english

Look what i found:
    http://prntscr.com/dc8lw4

6. RealNc also in the begginning of this post, the member who started this thread says that:
    You can Enhance the on by default 4xMSAA (You can disable it with the "-nomsaa" command but then enhancing doesn't work) with 8xMSAA and 8xSGSSAA(8xTrSSAA in Inspector) to clean up remaining aliasing. i'm kinda confuse lol

HL.exe open gl is for all games like cs 1.6 i know
    http://prntscr.com/dc8njy

So im kinda confuse lol, should i use override like you recommend me or set to enchance?

http://prnt.sc/dc8njy

thank you so much for helped me :) and by the way what anistropic you recommend me? i want to play this game with smoothness, very optimized, responsive you dont imagine how many things i ever tried already to make this game more enjoyable playable

Like changing Line basement ISRQ to all MSI PCI
    Increasing pc latency timer from 64 to 128 (i see a good performance increase here)
    Like using 7zip to extract all nvidia drivers and select best component
    Like desactiving HPET throught device manager, windows bios
    Among others things, to make my cs more playable, so i really appreciate your effort for make my game more playable and competitive i all have is 75hz monitor for low resolutions to 640x480 to 1024, because native is 1680x1050 but i can force to 75 so thanks

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    What resolution are you using?
    Everything worked fine when playing at the resolutions mentioned that are less than 1080p.

I didn't test above that, because the AA didn't work on shadows at 1080p and above.

I'll add it as an alternative however.

Unity is a mixed bag, the arguments here in have merit I think.

The fact games run inconsistently on every single platform the engine runs on is evidence enough of that.

Just look at all the console Unity games.
    Not even the 2D low res pixel art games can run without performance issues.
    Moon Hunters on PS4 for example, nothing at all taxing going on visually. The graphics aren't even scaled properly to 1080p (Low res 2D with nearest neighbor upscaling resulting in artifacts from a non integer ratio). And there are constant frame pacing issues and frame drops all over the place.

Then look at Eurogamer's videos of every Unity game they've looked at, running like horse poop.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  8. to be honest i can't see the difference maybe it doesnt work for me :'(

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

In my testing for Half LIfe's OGL version, nothing works when forcing. You can only enhance the in game MSAA to SGSSAA. Or Downsample.
    http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topic/1858-aa-af-vsync-and-forcing-through-gpu/?p=8449

10. Well i tried your settings for nvidia inspector and when opening cs 1.6 full screen it scaled to my native resolution 1680x1050 resulting in blurry game or something like that, now when i set back to override, games goes black screen :'(, and if i set -nofbo blackscreen dissapear and backs normal to 640x480 75hz in game not scaled....

what can i do to make 640x480 resolution optimal, responsive, smooth? with good quality? so frustrating :s

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Buy a CRT. On LCDs, you cannot have 640x480 without it being blurry. You need to play at your native res.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Oh, well can't you play the game windowed? There's no way to get good scaling from 640x480 without an external scaling device. Like an XRGB3. But that will add input lag and a bunch of other things that could affect the final output.

So basically your choice is, windowed if it works with the game. Blurry upscaling. Or to buy a CRT as someone else mentioned. They are really cheap and well worth having around for some games.

13. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    1080p, in motorcycle race with zombies at beginning of the game all is super blurry.
    I'll try to test it more..

14. So you mean, in case i want to play cs 1.6 competitive with antialising no blurry, downsample follow your guide, on my lcd, i should put windowed resolution? or by changing my windows resolution to 800x600? and ingame 800x600 windowed? to match desktop size? to become more competitive?

I was wondering how markelof use to play competitive in 2010 with LCD or LED monitor? is no the same rigth? can i add you to steam or something? i want to learn !

15. But thats crazy bro, playing cs 1.6? on 1680x1050 native resolutions, everything feels bad :/ i'm using a lcd 2 ms 1680x1050 60hz native

I was wonder how did makerloff and most pro use to play in the 2005or 2010 cs 1.6 i know most of them use to use (CRT 2005) or LED monitors in 2010

:/

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's because CS 1.6 doesn't have good support for non-4:3 resolutions. You need a native 4:3 res. For your monitor, that's 1400x1050. Create that res in the nvidia control panel and then use that in-game. It will feel exactly like 640x480, except there's no scaling going on so everything will be clear and sharp.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  17. uhmm got it, but how did you find that? can you teach me to find native 4:3 for my desktop 1680x1050? in case i want to try a 800x600 but not scaled?

Something like 640x480= 1400x1050? also should i use this Nvidia inspector settings how bonker recommends me?

And when comes to do a custom resolution what timing should i set? because if i set automatic on 1400x1050 it scales 1680x1050, but if i se timing CVT-reduce blank it keeps 1400x1050, also when using 1400x1050 should i set full screen on nvidia or keep aspect ratio?

http://prnt.sc/dclcmt

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2016
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Just some very simple math. 4 / 3 = 1.333. Any 4:3 resolution will give you 1.333 if you divide X (width) by Y (height). Examples:

640 / 480 = 1.333
    800 / 600 = 1.333
    etc.

In general:

X / Y = ratio

So to get X, you do:

ratio * Y = X

In your case, you know the ratio you want (1.333, which is 4:3), and Y (1050, the native pixel height of your monitor). So you do:

1.333 * 1050

And the result of that is 1400.

(Note that "1.333" here is a repeating decimal number; a "1." followed by an infinite amount of "3"s.)

You can use "reduced blank" as timings. Whether you want it streched or not is up to you. I prefer not-stretched, otherwise everything is... stretched.

19. Oh i see, but seems like i get the same resolution for 640 or 800x600 which is 1400x1050 uhmm, yeah is very weird to have black bars on 1400x1050 rather use full screen.

Thanks man :)