Resident Evil 7 will support Ultra HD and HDR on the PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Okay, I'm going on a rant here, having owned a 4K monitor since they were first released in the UK (2013 IIRC).

Why the hell do developers/publishers feel the need to say a game 'supports 4K'? It's a goddamn resolution, not some piece of hardware. I've played games from as far back as 1997 (Total Annihilation) that support it, and bar the odd game that can't go above 1080p (I'm looking at you, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) I've never had a problem playing at 4K.

The only time resolutions should be mentioned is if they aren't supported - which today would be completely unacceptable anyway.

3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    That might be a bad sign pointing to poor PC optimisation, when they specifically point out things like 4k res,x and y features available in the video options and the classic "unlocked framerate". Things that should be there in the first place as you've mentioned. It's like they throw the master race a bone that's already been chewed, to alleviate our anger.

4. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Resolutions that high in old games means very little, since the textures would look horrible if not just pure ugly. And that is very rare. It's completely different to supporting those res with HDR and high res textures, which you should know since you have a 4k monitor.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Dx11?

Why wouldn't they use DX12? Or does it get a patch like a few weeks after release.

New RE Engine. It's a new Engine but it's still only DX11. Mind boggles.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    "Cough cough" consoles "cough" :nerd:

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    looks a lot like SilentHill, dunno if its good or bad.. Hopefully it delivers.

8. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    LoL max resolutions are now an advertised feature. HDR on PC? Do we even have HDR PC monitors out? Does even Windows supports it? I'm confused.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm sure they mean 4k textures. I can't imagine they are just saying the game can run at 4k resolution.

10. rockupuncture

rockupuncture Member

GPU:
    2060 Super
    WTF is all this HDR nonesense at the moment? I have Half Life 2 on my HDD right now and that supports HDR! OK I know monitors are only just bringing it to the masses. But what's the hysteria over HDR, like it's new or something?

http://imgur.com/a/cXaJv

11. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    High Dynamic Range in GPU rendering process is completly other form of dynamic than hardweare one. Currently new introduced HDR with UHD.
    Hardware one contain extra meta-data transfered tru HDMI port.
    Its basically gives much better dynamic than SDR signal.
    So You will have more precise whites, and dark tones 1024 vs 256 tones.
    Most 2016 TV's had HDR, but only some top TV's gives really good fidelity especially one with FALD.
    For full effect it require 10-bit CPU in device.
    But its also possible make HDR works on 8-bit via chroma subsampling.

Monitors.. monitors are far behind TV's like always.
    HDR will spreading faster and cheaper in 2017. Its new tech so don't be confused.

BTW. I can't wait for the RE7 :p

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, very strange that monitors are behind TV's, but HDR on a TV is not the same thing as HDR setting on a game.

I'm sure they mean 4k textures, with the PS4 Pro and the upcoming Xbox Scorpio 4k textures will no doubt be a priority, so good new for PC gamers in the meantime.

Can't say i'm excited about the game from what i have saw, but nice to see they they are doing it justice tech wise.

13. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    IMO monitors are behind TVs for HDR because most people can't play anything with a nice framerate at 4k while 1440p has been the sweet spot for a while (and HDR came with recent 4k TVs).

Also, I don't see TVs having true 144hz+ refresh rates (not just frame interpolation) so I guess they're only farther in some regards :)

14. PigSkinYtBoy

PigSkinYtBoy Guest

GPU:
    470x
    Goes to show how little devs care about the dying neanderthal descendant race. Most of them consider pc as an afterthought

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Just in time. I couldn't resist ordering at 43" 4k HDR 120HZ sharp UHDTV from Target during Americas black Friday sale....and I live in Taiwan(Target ships to Taiwan apparently). Here's hoping it gets to me in one piece. Including the shipping it was 1/4th of the price of what I could get here so I had to.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I think "HDR" is just 10 bit color gamut, we've had it for ages on pc

you know that chroma subsampling thing? well I think its common to sacrifice some color depth to get higher resolutions on mediocre hardware I/O and so now that they were forced to upgrade for 4k60 now they have some spare bandwidth and here we are, lets take what is actual full color original imagery and market it as "HDR" along the usual software magic to make it standout even more, destroying its original purpose of bringing realism by taking it too far

but, progress I guess?

btw I also hate how they market "4k" and "60fps" like its a goddamn feature, sometimes I hate this "future" we live in today

17. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    It true. But all deepend how user preferences is..
    Most users this days still are very satisfying with 60 FPS + 60 Hz.
    Where e-sport players are much more sensitive on response, and faster matrix.

For TV's. Movies are mostly in 24 frames.
    Consoles have problem reach 60 FPS too.. Some games even struggling for 30 FPS there.

On PC 4K U can get 60 FPS with one very strong GPU like Titan Pascal in many scenarios, or can pack some 1080 SLI. yeye is sad part - wallet :D
    But if someone buying Expensive 4K screen what is basically still fresh.
    Can expecting same for GPU or GPU's aswell.

Other thing is TN panels itself. They have only one adventage over the other matrix types.
    But rest parameters are not good IMO.

There is other problems..
    HDR need high nits backlight. So what happen if they put strong backlight "behind" IPS or worse TN panel? Ye Bleeding or strong silvering-angles. Or crashed black.
    There is important to have local dimming what monitors even don't have.

18. Chaython

Chaython Guest

GPU:
    AMD/7970/3GB
    there would be no excuse not too, games have supported rk for over 10 years
    and hdr has kind of always been a thing? just now it's standardized

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i admit i would love HDR to become a PC standard, after seeing HDR in FH3 and Gears i would gladly drop some cash on a HDR 4k monitor now that i have seen it in action first hand.

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    HDR is just better contrast right. Better and darker blacks and cleaner brighter whites?