New Profile Inspector version 2.1.3.4

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by chuchicoupe, Nov 7, 2016.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If you're using vsync, then you should use 1/2 vsync (through Inspector) in combination with a 72FPS limit in RTSS for that.

Don't use the "adaptive vsync half refresh" setting in the nvidia panel. That's adaptive vsync. You should use "1/2 vsync" in Inspector instead.

72FPS on 144Hz with normal vsync gives micro-stutter. 1/2 vsync fixes that, and the 72FPS limit will reduce input lag.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's a misconception.

Putting an FPS limit on a game will not reduce input lag.

3. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    It does with VSync on though.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    With vsync it does reduce it. Without vsync obviously not. In fact, external limiters like RTSS introduce 1 frame of input lag even without vsync.

5. j0shimi

j0shimi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    RTSS seems to cause some stuttering in some games, it almost feels like low FPS but it isn't, any ideas why? If I stuck with Inspectors Frame Limiter, should I use the v2 range? I generally play borderless window, no v-sync and at 60fps, as my monitor is 60hz.

6. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Proof/source?

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's common knowledge.

External limiters just block the game completely. During that time, the game just waits without doing anything else. That means when the frame finally makes it to the screen, it's based on old input. Up to 1 frame old input.

The only frame limiter that did try to be smarter than that, is GeDoSaTo, which implemented a predictive frame limiter:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=715

I suppose this is difficult to implement, which is why RTSS uses the "dumb" method to limit frame times, which does add input lag. Not that it's *much* input lag, mind you. Still lower than vsync input lag, since it has 1 frame of lag *at most*, but vsync has 1 frame of lag *at least*, and usually more than 1. Which is why using a frame limiter when using vsync is so much better in most games.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016