Manufacturers roll out firmware updates for GeForce GTX 1070 due to memory Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Hellgardia

Hellgardia Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1Gaming
    Only tomorrow now. But i ran 3dmark firestrike and timespy, Heaven and doom.
    I only raised power and temperature limit no voltares where touched.

2. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I just ran doom and firestrike with no artifacting while overclocked. So far heaven benchmark, firestrike and doom has had no artifacting for me. The only thing I haven't tried that you tried is Timespy because I haven't bought that. Or are you using the free edition? Anyways it is possible you have artifacting and aren't aware of it.
    Unless you or others can report no artifacting on benchmarks like rise of the tomb raider, I'm concluding based on my own findings (and the findings of others) that this update definitely makes the micron memory more stable than before but it doesn't completely fix the issue.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. slowmaz

slowmaz Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 @ 2100 - 8900
    I have updated to the latest Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 Micron bios. It is performing GREAT!!!

(Using the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming overclock app from Gigabyte) NOT AFTERBURNER

+110 GPU clock
    +850 Memory
    100% GPU voltage
    +11% power limit
    +9 Temp limit

4040 in Valley Extreme benchmark for 3 consecutive runs

I would recommend updating bios for sure...I was sub-4000 range prior to flashing. I almost doubled my memory speeds!

Oculus Rift running so smooth!!!! Assetto Corsa with super-sampling all day son!!! I need a driving wheel asap

4. iceagex

iceagex Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 @ 2100 - 8775
    Should I try the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming instead MSI Afterburner?

5. slowmaz

slowmaz Guest

GPU:
    Yes, Uninstall Afterburner and then reboot...then install the Gigabyte one...try my settings...make sure you have a very aggressive fan profile. I did not go above 58c during my runs

6. iceagex

iceagex Guest

GPU:
    My 1070 has water cooling ;D

EDIT: I've tryed the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming with same results than MSI Afterburner.

Well, I think this is my best OC for this card (2100 core - 8800 mems)

What do you think? pretty decent imo.

7. Dread

Dread Guest

GPU:
    16GB Kingston
    For the Gigabyte Micron owners, is the following BIOS version the right one? It seems that the "beta" sufix was removed from the gigabyte page:

Best regards guys :)

8. Hellgardia

Hellgardia Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1Gaming
    Well I don't have rise of the tomb raider so i can't test it.
    I tested so far:

Firestrike
    Timespy
    Heaven
    Doom
    Battlefield 1

And some less intensive games like Rocket League and Paladins but those aren't suitable since they aren't heavy enough

9. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I take back what I said before. Running those tests for longer periods gave off artifacting for me. After further experimenting, it seems like my memory isn't the thing causing artifacts, it's actually my core:3eyes:

It doesn't want to go past +100. I can do +100 but any memory overclocks done in combination with that produces artifacts. +120 core produces artifacts with or without a memory overclock. So I backed off the core to +85 (+90 still artifacted) and now it's running stable at +500 memory and +85 core without artifacts. I'm going to keep raising the memory to make up for what was lost on my core. Seems like I got a rather poor overclocker in terms of the core. :frown:

Update: Nevermind. +500 seems to be the highest I can get my memory without freezing. So it's either +100 core/no memory overclock or +85 core/+500 memory. Guess that's not good but better than nothing. +7.5fps on heaven benchmark average fps.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Just go to the official page (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5916#bios) and download the top one that says "Release for Micron Memory" in the description. It's the correct one and the only one for Micron memory.:)

11. balane

balane Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    OK, so the new Gigabyte BIOS was a huge success for me as well. Before overclocking the memory much past the factory Xtreme Gaming "OC Mode" setting was incredibly dodgy and frustrating. Now I'm able to reproduce the values above, and even a little beyond, with complete reliability.

I'm very pleased with Gigabyte's fix even though it was a rocky road getting there.

EDIT: I want to add one thing and ask others to please check. Since the BIOS update the LED GIGABYTE logo on the side of the card has ceased to function, it's completely off regardless of what settings I choose in the control software. Previously it functioned as intended. Do others see similar results? I don't care about LED's, I have no case window and, to me, the darker the better. No gripes from me on the change but I was curious if anybody else noticed this after the BIOS update.

EDIT #2: Strike that, after another reboot the branding LED is now functioning as it did before the BIOS update.

12. slowmaz

slowmaz Guest

GPU:
    Nice! I was also able to push the memory up to +900 ...were you able to go beyond that?

13. balane

balane Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    880 seems to be my stable cap currently.

14. juanrugge

juanrugge Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    HI! im new here. I read the comments and I have some questions. i have a Gigabyte G1 (micron) with factory VBIOS F10 86.04.26.00.56, this is my OC:

+105 core (2050-2080 effective. didn't push to max limit)
    +730 mem (748 effective. max limit, artifact/crash beyond that)
    100% voltage
    +11% power limit
    +9 Temp limit

i've test and use this OC for more than a month.
    according to the overclocks that I've seen here, mine is not so bad, having the factory-outdated bios, although +748 MHz on the memory seems short considering some people push it to 9200 MHz...

Do you think this is all we will have from gigabyte? I'm still not confident to take the risk updating the BIOS if it doesn't really fix much. however, if I decided to do it, can you please tell me what method do you use? I never update GPU BIOS, gigabyte website gives warnings all over the place about the procedure XD
    Gigabyte recommend Easy Boost utility or VGA@BIOS utility, but if I'm correct, all the necessary files to flash are in the zip folder of the F11 bios download, right? is just run N1070G18.F11.exe?
    TY

15. iceagex

iceagex Guest

GPU:
    Yes, just execute the .exe and the card will flash automatically.

Your OC is pretty decent imo, but it seems that this is the only fix we can get from Gigabyte.

16. filipmannn

filipmannn Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8gb
    Hello there everyone, sorry for the incoming wall of text.

I bought this graphics card (GeForce Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8gb) on August 30th (for $430) when I was in USA, along with a motherboard (Gigabyte z170x k3 gaming), a CPU (i7 6700k 4.00ghz), an SSD (samsung 250gb) and a fan for the CPU (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO). I came back home in Europe (Republic of Macedonia) on October 13th and completed the PC until October 20th. It has 750w power supply, 2x 8gb 2133mhz ram, 24" benq zowie monitor (60hz refresh rate i think, but the monitor does not play a role here in this situation).

So, not more than 2 weeks later of playing games on it (not many tho, Battlefield 1 mostly and World of Warcraft) I got a screen freeze during a match on Battlefield 1. I had to restart the PC because nothing would work (no task manager, nothing). After that I got a screen saying "Recovery, windows could not start properly" and I had to click advanced or whatever there was showing (I will upload images of it as well as of the other stuff I got). I tried booting in safe mode and rollbacked the driver, that time I was using 375.70 and I rollbacked to 375.63 and it worked fine again. Couple more days later I started getting weird flashing while playing the game, like white flashes when taking a picture with a camera. At first they were a few and slow and disappeared after a while but the next day they appeared again but this time in greater number and a lot faster, if I had epilepsy or whoever with epilepsy looked at the screen would die I think, but again they disappeared after short while. The next match I got a screen freeze and a DirectX error saying "GetDeviceRemovedReason" (will upload a picture of it too, with both, last and the driver that worked). Tried loading the game again, started all good but after 5 minutes of playing I started getting those artifacts (if that's what they are called, I am kinda newbie when it comes that much of explaining and English is not my native language, sorry) and I got the error again but this time the artifacts continued on the desktop, internet browsers, literally everywhere and with everything I am doing and occasionally I am getting black screens that are like 4-5 seconds long. I tried numerous troubleshooting options. Used DDU to remove all drivers, tried like 5-6 different drivers, still the same (of course tried the latest too (375.95), changing monitor, changing HDMI cable, PCI slot, resolution, monitor refresh rate and then I came upon this post. I haven't tweaked anyhow the GPU, no overclocking, nothing, using it just how it came from the box and no, its not factory OC'd. Downloaded the GPU-Z utility to find out I have Micron chip, so I downloaded the BIOS update from gigabyte site, ran it, finished successfully and according to Xtreme Gaming Engine it is updated to F11 but the problem still persists, I still get the artifacts everywhere and I cannot launch a game, not even Heaven Benchmark. According to GPU-Z, my GPU temp is not more than 30 degrees C and as far as I can remember when I could load the Heaven benchmark it was 71 degrees C max. I really don't know what is the cause of this, I am desperate for a solution to this problem :confused:

I am sorry that I cannot post any pictures as I need at least 5 posts to be able to post links and pictures. If someone is wants me to send him the pictures I will do it anyhow he wants.

And again, sorry for the wall of text guys, hope someone reads it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Have you tried testing the card in another PC to rule out if it's an issue with another component?

or you could also try removing 1070 and test iGPU

18. filipmannn

filipmannn Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8gb
    Right now I am using the iGPU and it works just fine. Tomorrow I will try it out on another PC and will come back to tell you what happened.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If 1070 has issues in another PC well you know it's a faulty card.

20. filipmannn

filipmannn Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8gb
    Gave it to a friend now, I will be back later with the results.