help for my 1yr old GTX 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by washburnx, Nov 22, 2016.

1. washburnx

washburnx Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970
    Hi guys! Its seems that many newer drivers have issues.. Can somebody tell me what is the best nvidia driver for my GTX 970.. many says that newer drivers degrading performance for older cards prior to gtx 10 series.. and i dont want that.. anybody?

2. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    Yes they do it on purpose forcing you to spend your money on new hardware.

3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Companies/developers give priority fixing issues (new technology=new issues) and also give priority to expand/evolve software (like drivers and other utilities like GFE) for their newest cards...
    they simply don't usually "upgrade" their S/W stuff for older ones..

few times you will see a game to run a bit better(statistically last years chances for increase of older cards' performance has become 1/10 meaning only 1 from 10 drivers that would happen) and sometimes a game to run significantly better but mostly this happens due to many user reports combined with a patch from game developers fixing their bugs..

Unfortunately it's what Venomsword said.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    368.22 have been working for me as of late, the latest are like the force feed smart phone upgrades. They force an OS on you that does not work right with older phones and then tell you your phone is old that is why it does not working right. It is the environmentally moral thing to do and has nothing to do with the $.

Regards

5. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I would go with the just released 375,95 WHQL. Came out 4 days ago.

6. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    nothing wrong with the latest driver on GTX 970. i removed the graphic card cooler & exchange with 2 Noctua NF-F12 PWM + cable ties, spinning at max 1539 RPM so far whisper quiet.

try 368.69 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lTLik3iYqo credited by pato9

7. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Must not run your card or play older games like some of us. Like always support falls off and older drivers are more suitable for older hardware. Go back to 368.22 and then come back and tell us 375.95 OC and run better.

Regards

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    I'm still using 361.91 & win 7.

all is well

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Prove it

10. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Lucifer, you have a OG video card. I dont see why going or coming to 375.95 will cause you any problems. It will only make newer games look better and run better.

Run MSI Afterburner with those latest drivers and MSI @ version 4.x.x

11. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    imho the 369.09 (the anniversary update drivers) were the best drivers for my now retired 980, they worked great until i got my 1080

12. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    nah, quite content with 361.91 atm. If I wanted to play newer games I'll just import the game profile from latest driver that I installed in my win 8.1 boot drive.

13. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    1531Mhz Core at 1.2250v for almost two years now, using a custom bios.
    No ever once my overclock as been affected by driver updates, haven't seen a GPU driver crash in more than one year, the last time I got a GPU driver crash was when I was running Vilvadi web browser and browsing Twitter, crash didn't happen with Opera or Firefox so I bet it was a Vilvadi issue.

I always update to the lasted drivers, no regression whatsoever in the older games.

14. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Nice cards

Can I ask what kind of performance gain you got going from your 980 to the 1080 ? I mean is it twice as fast or something ? Within the next 2 months Im going to buy a EVGA 970 4GB for 180ish or 200 max. Used on ebay of course.

Then buy the 1080 successor or Gen after that lol 2 years ish. Then I can run games @ 4k resolution @ 60fps no drops... :banana:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  15. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    yes is nearly the double, is practically the same jump from a 770/680 to a 980, a 71% maybe, you can notice it since i was playing on a 3440x1440p monitor, the 980 was really choking up in some settings, the 1080 is fine now till the 1080ti releases

16. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    also id like to add

a 1080 will not do 4k on 60fps stable in all titles!

17. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    ho boy

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    well, he's not exactly @4K, 60 fps stable or not, depends on your game settings.

19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Sigh, every 2 weeks another new topic "whats the best driver for my card" - oh boy..